“Loved everything about the hotel except from the service given by the receptionist”

Lan Kwai Fong Macau
Ranked #70 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I just got back from the hotel today and I've decided to write a review before I forget about my experience. First of all, I would like to say that the service from the hotel staff - well, the bell boys (since they were the only ones we've interacted with throughout our stay) - was pretty good. They helped us out a lot in terms of giving directions and advice when we were going out to places. They were very friendly!

However, what had REALLY ruined my stay in this hotel was the service from a receptionist named Angel/Angela (I couldn't really see because her hair was covering her tag). Anyways, when I was checking out today, Angel/Angela's attitude towards me and my boyfriend was not very hotel friendly at all. She told me that I haven't paid for the hotel fee yet and I was confused because I thought that we had already settled the fee when we booked the hotel online. I only asked like, a question or two about it to understand the situation better but she got agitated quickly and started to raise her voice at me. Yeah, I guess it was my mistake for not checking the method of payment before our stay but her attitude was uncalled for. Thing is, the hotel booking was done through one of our parents cos we don't own a credit card and neither did we have that much cash on us to settle the bill on the spot. Angel/Angela just kept asking me questions like: "How can you NOT have the credit card (that was used for the booking)? Where’s the parent? JUST GET HER TO SIGN IT!" despite that I had already explained to her our situation. She had a really bad attitude and she was just so irritated that she went to find her manager and said to her in a very frustrated tone: "They don't have a credit card to pay and they said they don't have money to settle the bill!" The way she said it was as if we had tried to leave the hotel without paying! LUCKILY, the manager took over this situation and actually LISTENED to what I was trying to say but Angel/Angela just kept butting in and kept trying to make us look like we’re the ones at fault. I’m still giving this hotel a rating of 4 out of 5 because of how the manager handled the situation and how she apologised on her behalf. And to leave that aside, I just loved everything about the hotel. The interior design of the room is beautiful, the bed was soft, the hotel was clean and the fact that the aircon in our room is running 24/7 - it’s PERFECT for when you get back from the blazing streets of Macau. I had a friend who was staying right next door at the Mandarin Oriental which was a 4 star and I must say, Hotel LKF was MUCH better than theirs!

In terms of the location, it is good if your purpose of stay is for the tourist attractions because it is quite near to St. Paul’s and Senado Square etc. It is, however, quite far from the hotel to Taipa where Venetian and the big hotel and clubs are as well as the ferry pier.

All in all, I would come back again as long as I don’t have to deal with Angel/Angela again.

(Oh, and about the internet? I’m guessing that every room was SUPPOSED to have WiFi but it didn’t really work so that’s a bummer)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tiffanylungx
Management response:Responded 16 August 2011

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your compliment to our hotel as well our Concierge team and so glad to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I will definitely share your positive feedback with my team.

In regards to the our team member, Angela's attitude during your check out, please accept my sincere apology. We have briefed her accordingly and provide further training to her as well the rest of the team. For the in-room wifi, I have asked our technical team to check all the rooms again to make sure all signals work perfectly well. I am confident that these two issues will not happen again in your next stay.

Reviewed 6 June 2011

stayed here for the second time and again you can not beat this hotel in macau as far as value goes close to everything clean rooms good service not 5 stars but for 700HK$ you cant go wrong.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 9 June 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again. Hope you have found the difference of our team since your last stay in May last year.

Reviewed 29 April 2011

I stayed at the Lan Kwai Fong last week. The hotel and staff was amazing - probably the best hotel experience I've ever had - and I've stayed at a lot!

My experience with the staff was 100%. They were genuinely helpful with everything from check-in to getting me to the ferry terminal when I left. The concierge helped me with writing taxi directions in Chinese and in finding a great Portuguese restaurant within walking distance.

The rooms are thoughtfully laid out and everything worked perfectly. A couple of high-notes are the fact that the AC stays on when you leave the room (so you don't come back to a hot room) and the beds and pillows are soft and comfy (these are a rarity in Chinese hotels!).

The room was spotlessly clean, had bathrobes and slippers and classy bathroom accoutrements.

My stay would have been perfect except for the exorbitant internet charge. The charge is 160 MOP per day - $20 USD! That's equivalent to $600 per month. The internet fee was nearly 1/5th of the room rate! That is inexcusable these days when common hotels provide the service for free.

If it weren't for the internet fee, this would have been my best hotel stay ever!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 30 April 2011

Dear Sir,

In regards to the charge of internet service, we are currently surveying if this is Macau’s market practice and will revise our policy accordingly if this is the case.

Reviewed 14 April 2011

I stayed at Hotel Lan Kwai Fong for just one night, and upon arrival in Macau used the free hotel shuttle bus which is well marked at the ferry terminal. As I had an early arrival, I had to wait a few hours for my room to be ready however the Reception team were very helpful and asked if I wanted to leave any luggage with them for safekeeping (no complaint about a room not being ready, that's expected).

I then decided to spend the afternoon in the spa which is more expensive than in Hong Kong, but just as good. I ate twice in the hotel, and noticed that on both occasions I was the only customer.

The room was spotlessly clean, not too big and not too small either. The bathroom was small in comparison to the room. The Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries, Colgate toothbrush and toothpaste etc were a nice touch.

Late evening I decided to go to the club, which I couldn't find, so ended up in the casino on one of the upper floors. I tried to order a drink, however it was clear that I (a single, female, Western customer) was not welcome in the male-mainlander dominated casino and bar staff suggested I went to the cafe for a beer. I was then embarrassingly escorted out of the casino, providing a ringside seat to all the gamblers enjoying my shaming.

The following morning I headed back to the casino for breakfast and couldn't find where to go, but followed instructions given to me by Reception. I asked a security guard where breakfast was and was told to go to the cafe by Reception - which turned out to be closed. Once again Reception saved the day, and a kind gentleman abandoned his post to take me to a bar within the casino that serves breakfast (straight past the security guard that doesn't know what happens within his place of employment!) I did not enjoy eating breakfast under the scrutiny of the 24 hr gamblers, in such a smoky atmosphere.

However, the hotel location is possibly the best in Macau to see the Golden Lotus and the Grand Prix museum. There's also a bus stop 150m away that goes straight to Largo Do Senado.

I would have enjoyed my stay here except for a couple of miserable experiences, that the next time I'm in Macau I'd consider staying in Cotai instead.

Room Tip: Free shuttle bus from the ferry terminal
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 21 April 2011

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for staying with us and alos the compliment about our room.

We sincerely apologize about the our team's unprofessionalism, we will definitely take a serious remedies in order to rectify these and hope to make your next stay a more pleasant and enjoyable one.

We take our guest comments and feedback seriously and definitely will work on the concerns that were raised in your feedback. Should you have any questions or further concerns, please feel free to reach out to me at your convenience to gary.mak@macaulkf.com and we are more than happy to assist you.

Reviewed 25 March 2011

The individual rooms are really nice - modern, spacious, well designed, aesthetically pleasing and comfortable. This unfortunately was where the highlights ended for us.

Even though the hotel is relatively new the slate smell of cigarettes has started to become prevalent. There appeared to be no control on where guests could and couldn't smoke - on several occasions we were using the elevator and had other guests smoking cigarettes in the lift (this even occurred when staff members were present so I can only assume that it is common).

Overall we found the service to be poor for several reasons - the standard of English of the staff was extremely low. I have traveled through Asia consistently for the past 10 years and have stayed in many places where English has been poor. The disappointing part at Lan Kwai Fong was the staff made no attempt to even trying to understand - I was hung up on when requesting fresh towels for the room as the staff member couldn't understand and didn't want to find someone who could. Other small annoyances such as having no menus in the rooms for room service and then not providing these when asked made the stay disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 26 March 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for staying with us.

It is with deep regret that you found your stay unsatisfactory. We sincerely apologize about the uncontrollable cigarette smell and our team's poor english communication skills, we will definitely take a serious remedies in order to rectify these and hope to make your next stay a more pleasant and enjoyable one.