“Good but not fantastic” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Macau
Hong Kong, China
“Good but not fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I chose hotel Okura because of its newest and Japanese style. It did not disappoint me in both. Indeed it was better than I expected, perhaps because of the spacious deluxe room. The bathroom facilities are modern, the beds are comfy. My room is with a balcony, but lack of view. The outdoor swimming pool at lower floor is open and relaxing, it give you a sense of leisure despite the fact that the hotel is situated in a big casino (full of people day and night). The only complaint is the lack of excellent service - as many can read from other reviews - they are slow in getting your room ready as they insist the check in time to be 3pm, which is quite late as compared to others. I hope this can be improve when I come to visit again next time!

• Stayed March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
OkuraMacau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Okura Macau, responded to this review, 17 February 2016
Dear conniemlwong,

Warmest greetings from Hotel Okura Macau. We miss you so much and it has been quite a while we have not heard from you. Thank you for your continued support and patronage to our hotel and we hope that you had enjoyed your last visit to Macau. We are very happy to share with you that our property has doubled the size by increasing the number of dining options to over 120 restaurants including Michelin star restaurants. Besides, we do have new shopping precinct featuring over 200 shops including first-to-Macau brands, luxury flagship stores, designer boutiques and high-street lifestyle favorites. Last but not the least; we do feature the world’s longest skytop aquatic adventure river ride at 575 meters - skytop adventure rapids which is just 5 minute access from our guest room at the Grand Resort Deck, together with world’s largest skytop wave pool and white sand beach, plus exhilarating waterslides, beach lagoons, white water rapids, geysers, waterfalls and kids zone.

It is our utmost pleasure to welcoming you back to the Japan’s legendary Okura Hotels & Resorts that provides one-stop services to you and your beloved family as we could not wait anymore to see you in the nearest future.

Guest Relations Team
Hotel Okura Macau
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Cascadia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I've stayed at the Okura in Tokyo and the now in Macau. Both are great. Clearly, Macau is different. It's super new, big, and plush. The rooms are big--but they still have those ever interesting Japanese toilets. Yes, heat, rinse, oscillate, dry--all in one touch! Free wifi.

The hotel linked to the casino shared with the Banyan Tree and Galaxy--yet the hotel feels a world away.

The staff on the 6th/Executive floor are amazing--professional, gracious (without being aloof/snooty like a Four Seasons), and helpful. Great English skills too. There's a huge wave pool and neat amenities that are good for the whole family.

Net, net: if you like gambling, Macau is great escape from HK and Southern China. But, leave Vegas behind--don't stay at the Venetian, Wynn, Sands...try the Okura, you'll like it.

Room Tip: 6th floor/exec level is worth it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank roli13
OkuraMacau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Okura Macau, responded to this review, 6 June 2015
Dear roli13,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your precious feedback with us. We are pleased to know that you had enjoyable stay at our hotel. We hope that you will visit Hotel Okura Macau again for another beautiful stay.

Guest Relations
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

I went to this hotel for a short holiday during chinese new year. I expected it would be chaotic as it was a peak season.
The check in was slow as other hotels in Macau. I would say there is NO service at all here. I booked my room and I paid more for the executive floor. Nothing was mentioned during my check in at the ground floor until I asked again and again and finally the Lady in the reception replied with a MUTE tone saying that I can use the executive floor. I would expect the staff be more proactive. She didn't even look at me when she talked. 5 stars hotel with zero star service!!! So, they charged me and dun let me use what i am entitled to?

Nothing special in the executive floor. Limited choice of food. Maybe the only good thing is it is quiet.

Room was very good. Modern japanese design unlike other hotels with only GOLD GOLD and GOLD. I really like the room in Okura, but the service makes me think twice to decide whether i will come back again. well, With the price and this kind of service, NO WAY!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kljp
OkuraMacau, Manager at Hotel Okura Macau, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your experience in relation to your recent visit to Hotel Okura Macau at Galaxy Macau™.

I regret to learn about your stay was affected by the check-in experience. All of your comment regarding the check-in handling as well as setup in Executive Lounge has been passed on to relevant departmental managers for immediate service review. I am sorry and disappointed for all kinds of inconvenience caused in between. It is your valuable feedback allows us to recognize where we must improve and develop.

On behalf of all the service ambassadors, thank you very much for your support and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Okura Macau in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Management
Hong Kong
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Had stayed there from Friday night. I have emailed to the reservation about the late check-in and late check-out, they allow me to late check-out at 12:30noon...strange why not 12noon or 1pm...Service in general is good.

But it may not worth to stay at the Executive Floor...not big things...but just enough to discourage my stay with Okura again...We have paid more for staying at the Okura Floor. I cannot see what is the different for stay at between the Okura floor and the normal floor. may be the later is even better cos you will not expect more.

When we arrived, we are process the check-in at the ground floor (not at the 6th floor as per their mentioned)...i had asked shall i do the check-in here or at the 6/F, the receptionist not answer my question, he just got my letter and start the process...with little black face (may be its 9pm and he looks a bit tired)...he never inform me about the Okura Floor until i asked...then he answered me with the eyes looked at the computer said...oh you are required higher floor, non-smoking room...yes..it was showned on the computer...i looked at him again...then he said all the Okura floors are located at 6-8/F and no sperate to smoking/non-smoking floor...

I got the key and went up to my room, i found some people smoking at the corridor...i then went to the 6/F, the executive floor and request if i could change to another room. While they are checking with any alternative form me, i walked around the executive floor and cannot see any cocktail arrangement...i asked one of the lady, they said it is closed, then changed the wording to you can order it from the menu...

i cannot get another room given the lady told me all the three floors of room with king side bed are full. i said i can stay at other floors if possible, but she explained to me that given of the renovation, the upper floor is noisy and Okura floor is only at 6-8/F, try to convinece me to stay at the original room...

For the cocktail...we have ordered two juices, and the canapes is just chips and cookies...

on the morning...we have breakfast at the executive floor, not expected many choice of foods...but i over heard some of the guest were stay at the 25/F...it really made me upset that the lady was not honest to me...

Room Tip: have a dual if neccessary for staying at the Okura Floor...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank KKMPAWT
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comment in relation to your recent visit to Hotel Okura Macau at Galaxy Macau™.

It comes to our upmost concern to learn about your stay was affected by the unfavorable experience upon check-in and your disappointment in terms of the presentation and arrangement in our Executive Lounge. All of your comment has been passed on to relevant departmental managers for immediate service review. I am sorry and disappointed for all kinds of inconvenience caused in between. It is your valuable feedback allows us to recognize where we must improve and develop.

Thank you very much for your support. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Okura Macau in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Management
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed in this hotel just after CNY. I normally will not stay in Taipa but this time tried it as recommended by our friends.
The hotel is just outside the casino. The style is unlike the others in Macau as it is managed by the Okura group giving it a taste of Japanese hospitality.
The room is very nice. Clean and functional decor with all the essentials. The bed is very good.
We were given a room with balcony. The view was not the best as there was a contruction site just outside the hotel. Perhaps a room on the pool side will be better.
Avoid the Japanese restaurant as it is grossly overpriced.
I will recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jkfchan
OkuraMacau, Guest Services Senior Manager at Hotel Okura Macau, responded to this review, 18 February 2016
Dear jkfchan,