“Terrible service, below average food”
Review of Janice Wong Mgm

Janice Wong Mgm
Ranked #23 of 44 Dessert in Macau
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 15
Description: At Janice Wong MGM, sweet dreams are made of these: homemade Italian gelato; dainty pastries and tarts; sublime cakes and eclairs; an amazing array of handmade chocolates; and one of the biggest chocolate fountains in the world.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My “green tea latte” is tasteless, good for light food lovers.

My sandwich is very soggy.

The dessert is the biggest disaster, melting, collapsing, tasteless!

They have full time staffs, casuals, banquet staffs.

The ambiance is Great! But disappointed with the food and service. Only the banquet staff in the restaurant is knowledgeable. Not even those staffs in suit!

Overall disappointed!

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Janice Wong MGM is project of star pastry chef Janice Wong at the newly opened MGM Cotai. This eatery and retail shop is located in the centre of the Spectacle area of the hotel. Opening hours are 10am to 10pm daily.

There is a seating section at Janice Wong MGM or you can simply enter the shop and purchase pastries, gelato, delicate desserts and other boxed purchases directly from their shop.

One of the interesting things you will immediately notice at Janice Wong is the 7.3 metre high cascading chocolate fountain, similar to the chocolate fountain at Bellegio in Las Vegas. This is interesting to see at the MGM Spectacle.

During our first visit to Janice Wong MGM we picked up honey cinnamon danish, almond croissant and an apple muffin. Each were well baked and tasted quite good. We were particularly impressed with the apple muffin, which was soft, light and surprisingly yummy. We ordered another the following morning.

As for the first visit, we found the take-away pastries to be good enough to come back for more. Might try their gelato or other dessert items next time.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Originally want to order their afternoon dessert set but by the time we got in after the long queue we waited, they have finished with it so have decided to order 2 hot items ( non-dessert dish) & 2 dessert dish and I even asked the lady staff who took my order to serve them separately by requesting to get the food served first then followed by the dessert instead of serving altogether! I was then asked a funny question if I wanna separate my order by only to order dessert after I had finished my food then I told her nope, because I don't know how long will it take to make the dessert I ordered, so if I finished my food then order the dessert, I might need to wait for another 25 minutes and which I don't wanna wait that long but i just don't want everything to be out at one time that cause the dessert to melt! However after we finished the food, not only no one came to clear our plates after we waited for quite some time, our dessert never came as well! I then asked a male captain or supervisor with spectacles to follow up the dessert which we had already ordered earlier yet surprisingly he just left without clearing our empty plates and didn't even get back to us to clear the plates or tell us anything regarding our dessert instead he went back to stand with his colleague to continue his chitchat like before I asked for his assistance! I just thought maybe the dessert is coming soon that's why he didn't bother to get back to me? Then I waited for some time again and noticed that there had been no queue for a while with lots of vacant tables around and staff who took my order probably went for dinner break and haven't come back and seeing another young girl pouring water for next table, I asked her to check out my dessert again, who came back to tell us they don't have anymore dessert set (as she misunderstood that I want to order the dessert set)!!! I was pretty mad and asked that male staff to come over again, telling him that I want to make a complaint to his manager as it seems no use asking for his help since he was already the supervisor yet he didn't even bother to clear my empty plates when they were so free to chit chat, nor had he get back to me to tell me if they had missed out my dessert order or was it coming soon and his response was a weird smile while seeing me mad complaining then finally a lady manager came so I told her everything almost teaching them what they should do as I was just asking for something simple, basic service to follow up on my dessert and told me nicely if they had missed out my order and how long I need to wait still, so that I can decide if I still want that order or not but none of this happened and I told her my day was ruined because of the staff here and couldn't believe I would get this kind of service from a 5 Star's Hotel F&B outlet, especially one which is famous on its own before opening one inside a hotel and the only thing the lady do is just saying sorry then it's over! By the way the dessert was nothing worth the price as the Kyoto Garden we ordered came out to be mainly a stone like decoration which is an ice cream with a sesame chocolate hard cover so cold and hard that it was difficult to break and when able to break it, pieces will fly out around the table, other than the stone there is the green tea sponge cake, nothing too unusual but cost $130 and for the other pop corn dish which also cost $100, frankly speaking for the amount of pop corn get and the taste of the whole thing... probably lots of you would rather prefer the pop corn you can get from cinema! The total bill was over $400 but for that kind of service and that kind of food was a regret for us to spend the Chinese Valentine's Day there having dessert!

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Usually, I only reviewed on the restaurants that I adored very much. As for the less satisfying ones, I would not comment on it. But this is a very terrible experience for me and I had to write it down. The following are the reasons why I think this is a restaurant that does not deserve its high reputation:

1. I spent more than half an hour waiting for my order (I went alone and just ordered one dessert that is marked as "chef recommendation" in the menu) and when I asked the waitress about it, she couldn't even find what I had ordered. This is outrageous because when I got there, less than 10% of the restaurant was occupied and they had more than enough staffs to serve the tables.

2. When my order finally came (it took almost 40 minutes), I was given the dish without any apologies or any explanations that I expected the restaurant could give since I had been waiting for an insanely long period of time.

3. I had high expectation for this dish, which makes sense the chef that designed was regarded as one of the best in Asia and again, it was the "chef recommendation". However, the taste was way below my expectation. It was overly iced and tasted overly alcoholic (especially the cream inside). The combination of the texture, which were hard as ice outside and soft like nothing inside really wasn't my cup of tea. And the taste of the crisps was out of tune with the rest of the dish. I respect the chef's creativity but I really couldn't appreciate the practical aspect of it. AND, the dish was even more expensive than most of the desserts I ever had in Michelin-starred restaurants that were equally delicately designed but way better tasted.

4. The bill included 10% service charge that I was really reluctant to pay based on the poor service. But I accepted it anyway because I just didn't want to argue with this team and would like to leave as soon as possible. However, when I gave the waitress 160 MOP (the bill was 154 MOP including the service charge) and I couldn't get the 6-MOP change back!! I waited for a long time and made several eye contacts with the team and no one seemed to care about my doubt!! 6 MOP was a rather small amount of money but it revealed how ridiculous the service team was. Normally I would tell them to keep the change but whether the amount of change was small or relatively big, it is MY DECISION whether to leave it, not the service group's!!!!

It really is a pity that my first encounter with Janice Wong ended up in such a shameful disaster. I had heard about her name for long and always wanted to have a try at her restaurants. But, sadly, I was deeply disappointed this time. Whether I like the dish or not could be quite subjective, but the service in this particular Janice Wong restaurant was...Eww......!!

Hope this is just because of my BAD LUCK, considering the rest of the reviews were good.

Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

Having visited Janice Wong this afternoon, below are both the good and bad points:

GOOD POINTS:
1. Well-designed. The cake shop itself is delicately designed with glass doors on each side. Cafe is just conveniently located outside the cake shop.

2. A great variety of Signature Dishes. Popcorn is one of the three most distinguished signature dishes. The dish itself consists of both salty and sugary popcorn parfait with real popcorns as well. It really lightens up your tastebud and brightens up your day!

3. Friendly staff. Staff in general are friendly, especially the restaurant manager Donald who is very patient and knowledgeable about every dish at Janice Wong.

4. Attractive design of the table number sticks in which customers can go to pick whatever cakes or pastries they want from the cake shop and staff will then deliver those cakes to the respective customers.

5. Convenient location. Janice Wong is centrally located at the heart of MGM, just right at the centre after going past casino at the West Wing of the hotel.

BAD POINTS:

1. Rather noisy. It can be very noisy as there are lots of customers sitting close to each other and many tourists walking past the cafe.

ADVICE: It worths a try.