“luxuriously decorated hotel”

Four Seasons Hotel Macau, Cotai Strip
Ranked #3 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We are no stranger to Macau esp to the Cotai Strip hotels which usually stuffed with noisy mainland Chinese tourists. So if you want to find something luxurous but a little bit higher above the rest, this hotel should be it. The receiption staff were very efficient and friendly. The room was richly decorated although I have to say for a new hotel it was on the small side. Everything is what a Four Seasons should be from bathroom to bed. There are few minor drawbacks though. For example, the feel of the bathrobes were on the coarse side (perhaps a bit softener in the washer/dryer before bringing them up to the rooms?). The receptionists spoke good English although staff serving our floor did not. This is particularly true for Macau where huge staffing demand driven by rapid hotel development are often filled by inexperienced new workers from across the boarder in mainland China.

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel but did try their lunch buffet (which I was told the same as dinner). The price was steep but the selection and the quality of the food was sublime so it was well worth it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

I was surprised by the warmth when I went to the concierge. I was greeted by the people with warmth. The concierge walked me to the room and explained the amenities. The room/suite was gorgeous, which a bathtub, shower, and 2 stalls. Even bath salts are included. The slippers are extra comfy. My only complaint is that the internet limits 2 devices to use, so choose wisely if you have more than 2 devices that need to connect to the internet. Once those devices are registered, you can't swap to different devices.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Had an memorable stay in this marvellous hotel over the weekend, place is very exclusive (I prefered quietness unlike neighbouring casino's hotels, outdoor swimming pools are great for kids (they have 4 small one & one Big pool with waterfall), buffet b'fast is simply Fabulous, food varieties are enormous!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I stayed at the Four Seasons for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday) as a mini-vacation getaway from Hong Kong with my husband and toddler child. I've stayed at several Four Season hotels around Asia (you can see my other reviews) and this was definitely my best experience by far. The attention to detail and high level of service makes this hotel well worth the money and trek from Hong Kong.

Pros:
- Child-friendliest hotel I have ever stayed (better than HK Disneyland Resort in terms of child-friendliness!). Upon checking-in, our son was given a plush toy and when we arrived in our room, the staff had already placed in our room not only a crib but bottle warmer, sterilizer, diaper genie bin, child potty, diapers and Mustela toiletries, child toothbrush and toothpaste, and a welcome snack and card for our son. Talk about attention to detail!
- We had booked an executive suite and were pleased to find that we had been upgraded to an ambassador suite, which was huge, clean and well-decorated (not gaudy)
- Comforable / plush bed
- Spacious bathroom with separate shower and bath and 2 sinks
- This hotel does not feel "crowded" or "chaotic" like many of the other hotels in Macau (like The Venetian, Wynn, Grand Lisboa)
- Amazing swimming pools with lush green surroundings. 3 of the 5 pools are very shallow or have very shallow ends suitable for small children. Plenty of bungalows with comfortable loungers, fans and even TVs by the pool
- Connected to the Venetian and the Plaza
- Very good service. Everyone (from pool attendants, waiters, front desk staff, guys at the front entrance, concierge, etc.) is extremely polite, courteous and helpful. Phones are answered promptly and every effort is made to make sure everything runs smoothly

Cons:
- It is very difficult to get a taxi at this hotel. I think there is just generally not that much traffic to this hotel
- There is no casino in this hotel. This was a huge selling point for us but could be a downer for others. However, the Plaza and Venetian are connected to the hotel
- Some of the staff do not speak English very well. I think this is a testament to the primary/focus clientele here (ie. Mainland Chinese)
- With the exception of the Michelin-starred Chinese restaurant, Zee Yat Heen, food was pretty average. We ate at the poolside restaurant and had room service. Both were just so-so.
- The hotel shuttle bus only goes to the Cotai Ferry terminal and not the TurboJet terminal. Cotai Ferry is fine except that it does not run as frequently as the TurboJet

Tips:
- Definitely make an effort to dine at Zee Yat Heen. Food is terrific and for what you get, fairly reasonably priced. Child-friendly too.
- We noticed that there were significantly fewer people at the pools on Saturday morning. I assume this is because people generally stay on Saturday night and probably not Friday nights as well.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank LittleEinNY
Reviewed 18 July 2012

What I appreciate about Four Seasons Macau is its quietness (a hard-to-get feature among Macau hotels), as well as the service and their attention to details shown on both the facilities and people.

Comparing to other new 5-star hotels in Macau, Four Seasons is a tiny hotel in terms of size at the general area and inside the room. Nothing wowed me in the room itself, but what you can expect for is there in good quality material and elegant presentation. I do like their swimming pools--there are 4 (or 5?) of them, so I didn’t have to worry about avoiding other people while swimming. Guests have a private walkway from the elevator area to the swimming pool, therefore I could wear my swimsuit walking from my room to the pool area feeling ease.

There is a Gold Sand Casino which is not running by Four Seasons but attached to the hotel. It is a small scale casino, each bet is at least $1 Hong Kong. If you want to play with a slot machine of lower amount per bet, say, 10-cents, then you need to walk to The Venetian Hotel next door, and be prepared for the noise and the cigarette smell there.

The service level of Four Seasons is impressive. I had the experience dealing with employees of several Macau 5-Star hotels, either staying there, or eating in the restaurants, or just asking for informations, and among them, Four Seasons stands out prominently in terms of the emplyees' attitudes and their proactiveness in finding the answers for guests.

OK, I was impressed, but not “that” impressed, for it was the standard I also received in Four Seasons of other countries. But what they really WOWed me is what they did after I came back to Taipei: I stayed there for 2 nights in mid June, I won some money in the casino but I didn’t realize that I had forgotten to cash the voucher until I was already back home. The validity of the voucher is 1 month, I had no plan going back in a month and no friends staying in Macau. Although it was only HK$290, that was a money I won and representing “luck” to me. I felt annoyed being not able to realize my luck! So I wrote to Four Seasons asking if they could do anything to help. The casino belongs to Gold Sand not Four Seasons, so they could have answered “sorry”, yet the reception manager Willy Zhang offered his help by asking me to mail the voucher to him, he then cashed the money for me and refunded it to my credit card which I had settled my bill in the hotel. To me, this going-the-extra-mile attitude is what makes Four Seasons brand shine.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple