We debated about a holiday in Gran Canaria for some time and decided to stay at the Mogan Playa mainly due to the excellent reviews.We stayed last week March/ first week April
Many points in the other reviews are correct, the gardens are lush interesting and extremely well tended. The site is long and narrow and the best use is made of it even if some rooms are quite a distance from reception. I think we were just as close to the beach as to the main restaurant!!
Some points I would make in order to rein in those made by others
* The staff are good but not as brilliant as some make out , certainly many speak when you meet them on the walkways but many just go on by doing their work - nothing wrong here but some reviews suggest otherwise.
* the gravel around the pools is a pain, to say it is an artificial beach suggest that some folk may not be familiar with a real beach.I see no benefit in having it whatsoever.
* Junior suites are inferior to others I have stayed in, the furniture especially in bedroom is sparse and wardrobe space limited.Balconies are cramped due to the loungers.
*Many families seem to book junior suites for the extra space this results in much noise in the afternoon as families return to their suite after a day at the pool.So if you want a quiet room those in the high building may suit better.
* Most suites are quite a distance from the reception building & restaurant although suite guests do have use of the restaurant building at the south pool for breakfast and this is very nice.
* Food is good by many buffet standards, however , the layout in the main restaurant is some what disjointed meaning one may have quite a bit of walking about to determine what is on offer, also the two sitting system ( 1800 & 2030 hrs) is something I have not seen elsewhere and I think the hotel should reconsider this system as many guests are not in favour of it.
* We had an instance where a particular item of hot food on the carvery ran out completely at 9 oclock , we were one of early diners in the restaurant when it opened at 8.30 we had our starters and went for our main course to be told it was gone and would not be replenished . I found this unacceptable. The manager I spoke to came back to offer some food from the a la carte restaurant but by this time we taken something else. He also offered a meal the next night in the restaurant but we declined. The speed at which this was offered suggested that it was not the first time he had encountered this compliant!
* Los Guayres the a la carte is excellent and I would recommend it , we ate there for our anniversary meal and were given a complimentary bottle of Cava which was a nice touch.
*Bar service at the Tamaragua bar (South pool)is slow more staff are needed and a hotel of this standard should consider having a waiter providing service to those around the pool. Perhaps the gravel prevents this!
Overall this a good hotel but I feel it is somewhat resting on its laurels as it has no competition in the area.
The resort of Puerto Mogan is pleasant if limited in scope for shoppers , the port area has a large numbers of restaurant, range of prices and choice is not huge but enough for the normal holiday maker, beware of specials on boards without prices as in many cases these are expensive and not 'special menu' that some might expect so check prices before ordering also wines in restaurants may be higher than expected.
The beach in the town is well kept and good for bathing and for families and the weekly market (Friday ) is worth a visit- it sprawls all over town so be sure to see it all.
The working harbour is worth a walk through and the ferry to Puerti Rico is a novel day out.
There is a disused road up the hill across from hotel ( it is marked private but lots go for a walk on it) it is interesting and offers superb views of the hotel ,town and port and is not as strenous as it looks.
We had not been to GC for many years and we enjoyed our holiday , the weather was fantastic for the time of year. I can see Mogan becoming more popular when the nearly finished motorway extension is opened , let's hope it is not spoiled by over development like so many other resorts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This impressive resort represents a Canarian Village and consists of 9 different buildings. There are 487 rooms, distributed in 399 double rooms, 33 single rooms, 5 double suites and 50 junior suites. There isn't a feeling of being in a large resort - the original architecture which includes a chapel speaks for itself. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning, satellite TV with integrated DVD-player, mini bar (for supplement), safe (on charge), bathroom with hairdryer, furnished terrace or balcony and more. The total surface of 48.000 M2, includes about 10.300 M2 of subtropical garden area with two splendid swimming pools (heated in winter) and whirlpools, kid's pool, kid's playground, solarium with sun beds, mattresses, umbrellas, and pool restaurant with terrace. This luxury resort offers a buffet restaurant, a-la-carte restaurant "Los Guayres," 3 bars, Discobar, Kiosque, a meeting room, a TV room, an internet and reading room (Internet on charge), Wellness and Spa Center "Spa Inagua" (for supplement, entrance up to 18 years old) and a large variety of sport activities (bowling alley, multi-sport field, gym, ping pong, darts, boccia, garden chess, aerobics, aqua gym...). Some activities may be on charge. The Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa is a unique combination of a luxury vacational resort with an authentic Spanish atmosphere in a peaceful and beautiful surrounding. The wonderful subtropical climate allows the visitor to enjoy water sport activities and to play golf all year round. • In January 2009 opened the international Dive Company. Extra Divers is based within the hotel offering dive courses and excursions• In March 2009 the archeological park "Las Crucecitas" was inaugurated. It forms part of the hotel and shows newest remains and findings of the ancient burial grounds of the Guanches• In November 2011 opened "Hike & Bike" offering bike rental, excursions etc.• WiFi free of charge in whole hotel area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Cordial Mogan Playa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cordial Mogan Playa Hotel Puerto De Mogan
- Mogan Playa
- Hotel Mogan Playa
- Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa
- Cordial Mogan Playa Puerto De Mogan, Gran Canaria