“Excellent hotel”

Hotel Val de Neu GL
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Baqueira
Reviewed 8 February 2012

A super holiday with wonderful service. Nothing was too much trouble, and we were lucky enough to get an upgrade.
The rooms were immaculate and a bag full of 'child friendly' shampoos, conditioners and soaps were in the bathroom along with the sophisticated Hermes range for adults. Mini chocolates were delivered to our room on all three evenings, and bags of sweets for our daughter!

We enjoyed a fondue and two delicious dinners. The breakfasts were amazing and on our final morning breakfast was prepared extra early for us because of our early departure.

I had a wonderful 50 minute massage - expensive but worth it. We are looking forward to our return in March and hoping for more sunny conditions outside!

Thank you!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 February 2012

We only stayed at the Val de Neu for 2 nights from February 3rd to February 5th and I have to admit that I'm glad to be back home again.

Don't get me wrong, the location and the service of the hotel were definitely worth the 5 stars. From the time of your arrival to the time of your departure you needn't to worry one second about your luggage, your skis, your car or the food and drinks.

And I'm not sure but maybe our only problem was that we booked the hotel via the Baqueira Beret internet site and not directly via the hotel site which saved us in the end some money but led apparently to a different attention of the hotel staff compared to all the 5 star reviews.

The main issue was our room (#216). Or more precisely the smell in our room since it was definitely a smoker room. And the smoke was so evident that it was at least for non-smokers like us unbearable. So 10 minutes after arrival we had to call the reception to see if we could change the room, but the only answer we’ve got was that despite the fact that the hotel normally is a non-smoking hotel the guests are allowed to smoke in all rooms. In other words a change wouldn't help us but they could bring us some room spray ... So we had to stay in this room and you can call me a wimp, but I had a really bad headache after the first night that lasted for the entire stay.

The second and compared to the first one only minor disappointment was the highly recommended friendliness of the hotel staff. Unfortunately we couldn't see much of it because we don't speak Spanish. And after this weekend I really regret that I've never learned it. The conversations with the hotel employees were limited to an absolute minimum and even then the short answers were often given in Spanish. I really don't want to blame the staff of the hotel since we could see their helpfulness and friendliness when they talked to the Spanish guests and of course somehow we could communicate with all of them. I just wouldn't expect such kind of difficulties in a 5-star rated hotel.

And just one last but maybe useful remark: It seems that the restaurant “La Fondue” is not included in half board. Nobody called our attention to this not even when we reserved a table for it but we did not only pay for the drinks, that’s for sure.

So in conclusion I felt most of the weekend bad, first of all because I had the impression that the smoke-smelling room was the result of my “cleverness” to pay less, then I felt bad because I don’t speak Spanish and last but not least not to forget my headache which didn’t improve the situation either …

We will therefore probably not book this hotel again, even if the location and the food were great.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Janine L
VALDENEU, Director General at Hotel Val de Neu GL, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Dear Mrs. Janine,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing us in your last visit to Baqueira.
Unfortunately there some guest that smoke in the hotels rooms even when is forbidden. This weekend the hotel it was fullybooked and we couldn´t offer you another room.
In respond to your comments about the differents between made reservations in to Baqueira Beret Agency or direcly with the hotel I would like to clarify that for us dosen´t matter the way to make a reservation for us the most important think is that you comme to the hotel.
Is important to mentioned that in Val de Neu hotel we offer the same service to every guest and we try to satisfy all your needs in every moment. We don´t select a standard of service depens the reservation way that you choosing.
I don´t really know what happend with La Fondue Restaurant becuse normally you can choose the restaurant that you prefered for enjoy the half board. Is true that you need to make a reservation in advance when the hotel is full and maybe it´s was the reason of this matter.
Is important to mentioned that reception departament speaks english perfecly and some of then français as well so I would like to know who it was the staff person that attends your complaint but for sure that english speak all of them.
I really appreciate your comments because helps us to get better and better every day and it wasn´t our intention that you don´t have a very enjoyable stay in our hotel.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

We've been here for 5 nights (luckily still with 3 to go). This is indeed a superbly run hotel. Staff are polite, happy and willing. Breakfasts superb. The chill out bar area in front of the open fire is a wonderful place to wind down after skiing. Afternoon cakes wait in the room, turndown service is unobtrusive and efficient, the decor is modern, clean and cosy. Everything is perfect including the price. It is evident here that this is a very well managed hotel and the manager (Israel) oversaw my initial booking queries and ensured our room met our expectations on arrival. The location is right next to the gondola, the ski room in an elevator below the gondola, skiing does not get any simpler than this. As a bonus the landscape is undeniable and the slopes perfectly maintained. There are numerous villages dotted everywhere complete with charming restaurants and bars with pinxos and tapas. We hired a car on arrival in Barcelona and drove up - the valet parking service was perfect, always staff available to bring the car around on request. Basically by staying here we have the best of Spain (food, wine, people) in one of the most beautiful landscapes with the bonus of skiing. What a treat. We shall return to Hotel Val de Neu as we are enchanted by the location, charm of the people and perfection of hotel standards (and of course those fabulous slopes!). Thank you to Mr Israel Martinez & team for creating such a fabulous environment.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Fantastic service. The manager is always around making sure that everything is perfect. Some spumante when u get back from the ski? Breakfast with everything you can thnk of? The room is perfect, the spa divine. I can not understand the 3 star reviews....

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank ana_and_pedro
Reviewed 13 February 2009

I spend the past weekend in the Val de Neu hotel. They belong to a spanish chain called Santos where I've been in some other properties and you might like the hotels more or less depending on how old they are but there's a common thing in all of them which is the staff, they can't be more gentle, helpful and profesional.

This hotel is brand new, even they opened about a month ago it looks like it's been running for years, I couldn't find anything I wouldn't like. We stay a lot of time in the hotel because the weather was awful and we couldn't ski the first 2 days and the restaurant quality is more than good (sirloin stake with foie in a 5* hotel for just 24€)

Rooms are great also, Spa is fantastic and the bar and its surrounding couldn't be better after skiing.

Definitely the Val de Neu is my hotel in baqueira.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple