“Best place for a romantic stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Villa Giulia
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Gargnano
London
“Best place for a romantic stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We stayed here on our honeymoon in August and had a wonderful time. We booked the only room in the main building with a balcony overlooking the sea, and it delivered in every way. It was a classic, breezy room with a beautiful, old fashioned atmosphere and we felt like movie stars living there. The staff were incedibly charming, and the hotel restaurant was fantastic. How I long to be back in the bar drinking an apherol spritz cocktail looking at the waves of Garda.

Next door there is a wonderful pizzeria where you can swim with the locals, so you don't feel trapped within the confines of the hotel at all. Though it is quite nice just to relax on an easy chair by the pool.

I would go back in an instant.

Room Tip: rooms in the main building are the best. get a balcony if you can afford it!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cab_Lucy
Barbara-VG, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Giulia, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your feedback.We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.We hope to welcome you soon again.
Yours Sincerely,
Barbara Bombardelli.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

Thank you Giullia, you maked this a wonderful weekend for my birthday with 18 friends, nothing was too much trouble offering a family warmth whcih is so rare. The gardens were stunning and position by the lake were superb. The rooms and bar are not identikit Forte style, for me Guila is far more charming, the furishings have evolved over decades and it felt more like saying in a private family home. Light lunches and candlit dinner with freshly made pasta, local wines and locally caght fish gave a real authenic experience. The location was perfect for exploring on foot and all of my guests said they would return with their husbands or lovers for a romatic retreat, and so we will be back again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank tydog
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your positive review.We are really pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us, that you appreciate so much our House and our care for the satisfaction of our Customers.We hope to welcome you soon again.Yours Sincerely,
Barbara Bombardelli
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

I chose this hotel based on both my reading of other Tripadvisor reviews and its listing in a Karen Brown travel guide. I travel frequently. I used to live in Italy. I was disappointed with this hotel. Here are my reasons why.
1. The room was small and sparsely furnished. It had a tile floor which detracted from any warmth the room might otherwise have had.
2. The swimming pool was cold. I mean it was really cold. It was not chlorinated. I swam in the lake. The lake actually seemed warmer.
3. There was an above ground hotub next to the pool. It too was cold. What was the point? I wonder if the hotel simply added some equipment around the pool in order to obtain its four star status.
4. I had a bottle of water with me while hanging out near the pool. I was informed by a waiter this was forbidden and would have to order from the menu. I went up to the carport. I drank my water and then came back to the lounge chair.
5. The room did not have an iron. I asked to borrow one and was refused. The hotel offered the service of ironing my shirt. It would have cost about 8 U.S. dollars. I wore it wrinkled.
6. Unlike many other hotels in which I have stayed, this one did not provide complimentary bottled water in the room. I think; however, the tap water in this part of the country is safe. I hope.
7. The breakfast was fair. The eggs and bacon were undercooked. There was no smoked salmon.
The coffee is indeed Nescafe.
8. The folks at the front desk were not very forthcoming with quality directions to the A-4 highway. Here is a hint. If you are headed toward Venice and are short on time, take the main road to Brescia. It is a longer route, but you will save time.
8. My wife and I asked if the hotel could arrange for us to visit the Villa Feltrini, which is about 200 meters up the road. The woman at the front desk would not oblige. I was surprised. One would think these hotels would make an effort to help each other. After all, most hotel guests do not want to eat at their hotel restaurant 3 or 4 nights in a row. Anyway, my wife and I walked up to the front gate of the Villa Feltrini and rang the buzzer. They opened the gate. We were provided a nice tour of the hotel, and after checking out the menu, we decided to eat dinner there. It is expensive. It was very good.

I do not mind paying a 258 Euro per night, but I do not like to be, as we say in the U.S. "nickled and dimed."

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Nixynunu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

Beautiful situation, charming building, friendly staff. Worth the extra money.

• Stayed September 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,thank you very much for your feedback.we are really very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.We hope to welcome you soon again in our House.
Your Sincerely,
Barbara Bombardelli
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

This is without doubt the best hotel my boyfriend and I have ever stayed at in our entire lives. It's so beautifully situated, the garden wall is literally 1 meter from the sea, so you have the most amazing view over the lake when sunbathing in the garden, swimming in the pool or having your breakfast/lunch/dinner, The hotel has got access to a small private strip of the beach which really is a plus cos the public beach next to the hotel is crammed!

The hotel is family-owned and the staff was really professional, welcoming and friendly. The service was truly excellent!

The only negative thing to say was the food. The breakfast was described as "abundent" but that's a real exaggeration, it's fine but just nothing special. Same goes for lunch/dinner menu. As you can expect it was pretty pricey but not worth the money. Again, it wasn't bad in any way but we'd travelled through Italy for one week prior and gotten used to some really excellent food, which standard Villa Giulia didnt reach up to. Same goes for the rest of the village, which was pitoresque but touristy.

I'd recommend this place to anyone, given that they're willing to pay this amount of money for their accommodation. Fantastic hotel and an unforgettable experience, would be super to go to on a honeymoon for example!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple