“Fabulous Two Week Holiday - Just Remember, You Get What You Pay For”

Golden Age Crystal Bodrum
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Gumusluk
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel is over two hours (on a terrifying road) from the airport, it is basic but clean and in a superb location, the views are absolutely lovely. The food is nice but it does get repetitive, lots of fresh salad, always pasta, chips or rice and they have theme nights (BBQ or Turkish etc.) which were really nice. The homemade pizza which is available most evenings was great.

The drinks were just OK, all three available spirits (Gin, Vodka and Raki) tasted pretty similar, but it's such a cheap holiday just buy a bottle of whatever you like from the airport, plenty of people were doing that. The juices are nice, and there is a local beer (Effes) and a Red or White Wine to choose from, all of which are fine (remember how cheap this place is). If you catch the little Dolomus bus from the bottom of the (very steep) hill you can travel for miles very cheaply, we ate in a restaurant in the harbor in Gumsluck one night which was really nice and worth a visit.

Don't expect a beach holiday at this hotel, the beach is horrific, you have to go down to it on a little train (or walk the very steep hillside) and when you get there it isn't very clean and there aren't many sun loungers, the ones that are available are on a grassy area as there is only a couple of feet of sand.

The entertainment is low budget but fun enough, the Turkish Spa is an experience, but haggle with the guy who works there he comes up with ridiculous prices and you have to argue him down, also if you are having the full treatment, go on your first day or any tan you have will be rubbed off!

I think the main thing to remember with this hotel is that it really is very very cheap, so don't come with huge expectations and remember that a holiday is what you make it and you'll have a lovely break in the sunshine!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
19  Thank EleanorPR
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

i just cant belive they havent changed anything here even after 5 years i was hoping it would improve but it's not why cant the hotel owner's improve this place it is in a quiet area so dont go if you like noise and party time you wont find it here

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank wayne s
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My family an i went 2 this hotel in sept last year an it isnt 2 bad, we got a really cheap deal!!!! so i was expecting worse but 4 the price we paid it was great!!!
The food is good, the drinks were ok coke, fanta, sprite and the beer is good!!!!!
All the staff were lovely and the entertaiment staff were fab, they made us laugh so thanxs ozzy, gorgio an all u guys!!!!!!!!!!!
The hotel i nice and relaxed, the only bad point i feel was that around the pool was all marble tiles which made it very very slippy!!!
We had a great holiday holiday here and after all isnt a holiday what u make it? some people just like 2 moan! if u want a better hotel then pay the money 4 a better hotel!

oh yes an it is a bit in the middle of nowhere but u can get a bus just outside the hotel 2 take u anywhere, bodrum and turgtres r both lovely!

Room Tip: the refurbished rooms r lovely but sum r unfinished but if u r unhappy they will move u no probs but...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
22  Thank allisonskarratts55
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I am not fussy and always make my good time myself, this is a completely honest opinion ....I visited this hotel in August 2011. It was a last minute deal and the price suited me and my fiance. First of all we travelled wth a small company called "Travelmate", when we arrived at the airport all the travellers were guided towards a thomsons coach/bus - we saw our rep (who could not talk english which turned out not really to be a problem). We were directed to small minibus, we were the only ones on it and it was air conditioned so we thought brilliant! Well what an experience it was! What a crazy driver, we travelled for an hour and a half in the country side of turkey and what looked like quite a deprived area. The roads were narrow and bendy and on the side of cliffs with no barriers! The mad driving and the constant smoking of the driver (who we could not communicate at all with as he did not speak english) was crazy! Neither I or my fiance get travel sickness but we did this night and were scared for our lives! In any event over an 1 1/2 later we got there safely at 4am! When we got to the hotel we had to pay £30 for our safety deposit box for the room which is quite standard in most hotels these days and then shown to our room. It was pitch black there and the hall ways had no lights, the room smelt and it was a rediculous temperature, but we did book turkey in august so that was to be expected! We turned the air conditioning on which made a noise, but it cooled the room down considerably so it was fine.

Food & Drinks
it was all inclusive and it was buffet style. There was always plenty for breakfast lunch and dinner and there were snack bars at the pool and on the beach. The food was always fresh and plentyfull however it was prettey much the same every day. I enjoyed it though! The drinks were very good, beer and wine on tap! I like my wine and was very suprised at the good quality of the wine on tap! Spirits were good also and they even had real coca cola on draft which I was not expecting as it said "local drinks". The vodka and kiwi juice is a must! Just be careful at the measures of spirits as they it is prettey much half and half!

Pools
There were two pools, one main pool with bar and entertainment team, we didnt really visit this part as we were looking for a quiet couple type relaxing holiday, however , there was plenty going on if you like that kind of thing! The music was very loud and surrounded by loud noisy people too! The entertainment team which consisted of three turkish men and a couple of girls who walked around the pool all day as if they were royality. They also ate with the guests which for a hotel which is described as 4-5* I didnt think was appropriate. The other pool was a small adult pool (this was not the case at all). It was a nice pool area, but crammed with people every day, you had to get up at least 630-700am to get a bed! And most of the area would not get the sun on it until midday! There were a lot of polish people (which is not a problem!) however, many were rude and were placing towels on the bed the night before, one even had a go at my fiance as if he were trying to start a fight for no reason at all, he couldnt have possibly avoided it. No matter how early I got up I could not get a bed that I wanted.

Beach
a beach? Far from it, it was a rocky area, which had local sewerage running to it, with no sand! There was a jetty, however, it was broken and the wood was rotten, I was too scared to go on it. There was a bar at the beach which was included in the all inclusive aspect of the hotel so that was good. It took 15 minutes to walk or you could get a "train" (which in fact was a tractor type thing with a trailer of people on the back) The "train" struggled to get back up the steep hill with the amount of people it had crammed on it, and at certain points it almsot started rolling backwards. Overall the beach was terrible, it was dirty and a very bad location.

Room
The room was very basic, beds were changed daily, but the bathroom was dirty. With regards to the shower you had to turn it off every minute or so as the drains were blocked at the basin would overflow. The balcony was not safe and wobbled. I am not usualy scared of heights but I was when I was on this balcony.

The luxurious pillows that they show around the pool were dirty and often wet!

Medical
I saw a couple of people ill at the hotel, luckily this did not happen to me. However it was norm for the "hotel doctor" (he was in fact an employee at the hotel) to who was doing a course in medicine to take the sick person away by himself (even children) to the local villlage in his car and put them on a drip! costing about £70! I saw him take a pregnant lady who had a blister on her lip from the heat and put her on a drip! She was there all day until late at night! and nobody heard from her or had a way of communicatig with her, not even the hotel staff! He would also inform the travel company/airline that you were unfit to fly home! So dont go to this doctor if you dont want to go on the drip or if you want to go home!

Zoo
OMG! Please dont go to the "zoo" if you are upset by cruelty to animals. When I first approached the zoo, I could smell "death" and filth, it consisted of some what I think were turkeys and other birds who had taken all of their feathers out, which had sores and dirt all over them, they had no clean water or food. There was also a ram in the corner which never moved appart from rocking back and fore in one place. It was absolutely terrible.

Rep
We had no information regarding our rep and transfers back to the airport. This was concerning to us due to the trip we had out, so we wanted to know how we were getting back, we tried phoning somebody but got no luck and the hotel charged us £30 for the cal! We then had to use our mobile which cost us another £10!

Location
Abolutely terrible location. Quite a deprived area with absolutely nothing touristy to do for about an hours drive.

Staff
Staff especially the men were staring and chatting up very young teenagers like 13-15 years range! So parents be aware! Also I think many of the staff live on site, and therefore use the pools and eat the same buffet and basically using all of the facililities! Which I do not think is right. Reception were not helpful and hardly spoke English

Weather
Was very hot, approaching the 40c on some days , but I love hot weather so didnt mind.

This opinion is completely honest and I am in no way being picky as I am not that kind of person, to be honest, I enjoyed the holiday as all I did was drink the nice booze and lay by the pool and read a book by day and made some fantastic friends which completed the holiday for me. I shall not be going to this hotel again. And it is in no way a 4* I would say 1-2* at the most. I hope this helps.

Room Tip: There are none! You get what you are given at this place!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
18  Thank 1983Clare1983
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Went for a week. hotel alot better than expected. nice staff and big room with huge bed. food not that good.

• Stayed: September 2011
5  Thank jamesh291183
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gumusluk
2.8 km away
17.0 km away
El Vino Hotel & Suites
El Vino Hotel & Suites
#1 of 97 in Bodrum City

Been to Golden Age Crystal Bodrum? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK