All reviews steam room cream tea full body massage changing rooms evening meal relaxation room light lunch scones platter lunch my mum hen do food was lovely no lift relaxing weekend cannot fault old house excellent value for money
Reviewed 29 August 2016

We recently stayed here for our sons wedding reception. That I cannot fault. The room looked amazing and everything seem to go to plan. The hotel itself is in a beautiful setting but is in serious need of an update! Decor very old and tired. Our room had a great view but was pretty small. Certainly not up to the £100 per night we paid. Breakfast was great! Evening meal was good, although we had to order dinner very early. My husband decided later he wanted a starter but was told it was too late! They don't offer a lunch menu which is a shame...and don't like you to go and get something and bring it back. Although some of the wedding party did go and get some sandwiches for their children as they were starving! Outside area was pleasant. But a little unsafe for children. Concrete steps and no gate gave me a few tense moments! All the staff we met were friendly. We had a nice stay but wouldn't go back.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2016 via mobile

I have stayed here many times and find The Cleve to be exceptional.

The rooms are very comfortable and the beds are good - considering I work for a very local bed manufacturer.

The food in the restaurant is superb and the bar area is a great place to relax.

This is all topped off by a team of staff that are really dedicated and focused on delivering a genuine guest experience.

Thanks to all at The Cleve

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

My husband grew up in Wellington and thus knew about this place. Mother in Law lives in the town so we thought we'd give this place a try. Wish we'd stuck to Travelodge!

The great shame of it all is that this place has the potential to be a really lovely boutique hotel. Sadly a lack of investment and bad management is preventing this from happening.

On arrival we were placed in a very small room with a view of a roof (known as a compact room on their website). We had actually booked a club room with countryside views.

Pointed this out to reception where a young bloke (who was polite) attempted to sort out the problem by liaising with the manager.

He told me due to a computer error we had been placed in the wrong room and other people were in ours. Not only is this appalling (I don't believe the computer error story) but also were was the apology?! If this happens you should be upgraded not downgraded!

I was shown an alternative room but this had hardly a better view, despite being bigger, and smelt strange. I was told this was the only other choice of room. I asked for a refund of the difference. He said he'd have to check with the manager whilst I went to the gym. The manager seemed to prefer to hide in the back.

My husband returned whilst I was at the gym. He demanded to speak to the manager and enquired as to what was happening. She eventually came out and he was told I'd been offered rooms at the front and they would love people. This was an outright lie, I had never been offered that. He demanded a refund of the difference in room price which we eventually got.

The manger had an awful attitude, appalling customer service. They screwed up our booking then tried to fob us off with a lesser room. This really incensed me and coloured our whole experience sadly.

With regard to the facilities here, the place is not 4 star. It's more 3 star. Rooms are a little tired and need redecorating. The gym was full of ancient equipment (most of it at least 10 years old).

The only good thing was breakfast - plenty of options, promptly served by a polite member of staff.

We would never come back here. At least at Travelodge you get what you pay for. Avoid.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2016 via mobile

Ive been on 4 spa retreats here, and every one has been lovely. The rooms have been clean and tidy, the meals I cannot fault, the staff have always been polite, chatty and helpful. I love it, and i will be going back again!

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank wurzel24
Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

We went to a wedding at this hotel and the venue and wedding was excellent.but at the reception later a lot of people said the prices of drinks at the bar were a rip off .I was asked to pay 10£ for a Bailey's until I questioned it.and was still charged 5£.

Date of stay: July 2016