Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.com
StayForLong
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 September 2019

I spent a week at Aphrodite Hotel in Vatera, Lesbos, which I can say was a very pleasant experience. The hotel is a family-run business and the personnel was always attent, smiing, making conversation with me and asking if I was comfortable or needed anything. I felt pampered. It´s a place to go and get away from it all, very relaxing and the beach right in front of the hotel, was impeccable. The buffet breakfast included homemade desserts and the highight of the buffet, in my opinion, was the pistachio marmalade. Very unusual and delicious. Other meals that I had had there were also fresh, hot and so appetizing. One evening, one of the owners, Giorgos, sang Greek songs at dinner-time, providing an enjoyable atmosphere. Yiannis, the other owner, was kind enough to print out my boarding passes for my trip back home. What else can a person ask for?

Date of stay: August 2019
Hahathakis Yiannis, Owner at Aphrodite Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2020

We really thank you so much for your very nice review about our hotel.

Reviewed 27 August 2019 via mobile

What an incredible time my family and I had on our vacation to Mytilene! Our favorite part of the trip was the 10 days we spent in the seaside village of Vatera. It was undoubtedly one the the most relaxing vacations I’ve enjoyed in a long time. We found on trip advisor one of the best kept secrets in all of Greece, the Aphrodite Beach Hotel. This family run hotel has a great taverna with amazing food to satisfy a wide range of palates, from pastas, pizzas, salads, to a variety of fresh proteins and fish. We have been island hopping for 3 weeks now from Crete (crazy drivers) ,to Santorini (wall to wall people), and Mykonos (outrageously expensive), this was the perfect way to finish off our vacation. If you are not the type to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of the area, this place might not be for you! John and George (2 brothers) that run the hotel were very helpful in guiding us on where to go and what to see on the island. They also had rental cars that we rented to explore the island on a few occasions. We also want to thank Maria (John’s wife) who is also Canadian born, for making some incredible home cooked meals for us. My favorite was the Yemista ( stuffed vegetables), my wife’s was the dolmathes, and the kids loved the pizza. Thank you to the whole family for making this a truly wonderful vacation for us and also making us feel part of the family. Can’t wait to come back on our next trip to Greece!

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank RocketFan1

We really thank you very much for your nice review

Reviewed 8 August 2019

We had booked this hotel after reading Matt Barrett’s stellar recommendation of this place. We were planning a family reunion - 2 families coming from different parts of the US, 1 coming from Morocco. This was to celebrate my MIL’s 75th birthday.

After arriving in the afternoon, we knew late that night that we had to pull the eject, before the 3rd family arrived, even though we were booked for 4 nights. Thankfully we had just come from Molyvos, where we had a wonderful experience, so we just headed back. I would like to mention that in our group were 2 young children and a stroke-impaired 79 year old, so deciding to hop in the car with no reservations of where to stay in another town was pretty gutsy, and most telling of just how unacceptable the current accommodations were.

Our room, while tacky with pink and blue walls, was ok, my in-laws room was unacceptable. There was not even a window. Depressing, prison-like, down-and-out are a few descriptors I would use for it.

Lesvos does not have the number of tourists that the other islands we visited on this trip had (Milos, Paros, Sifnos). It is clear that this hotel (and Vatera in general) has fallen on hard times. Many items of the menu were unavailable - this was not a ‘we’ve just run out’ situation: all of the servers were well versed in what they had and didn’t have, and there were too many items that they didn’t have. We found the food to be mediocre and exceptionally expensive... a kid's burger was 8 euro. And eating there is really your only option as there aren't restaurants around that are easily accessible without a car.

There was a huge tv and video games set up in the lobby; we had seen kids playing with it earlier in the day. When we asked if we could use it, we were told by a child staffer that it ‘was his cousin’s, and not for guests’, which is a rather odd thing to have set up in a hotel lobby.

We realized then that the hotel seemed to be overrun with family and friends of the hotel owners - they were sitting and eating together; there didn’t seem to be other guests. When we asked the management if it was normal to have the restaurant be completely empty (it was Friday night), they said it was on account of a festival happening down the road. After eating dinner in the empty restaurant (just us, no one else) we walked to check out the festival. It was a local thing that never would have attracted vacationers (in my opinion), so to say that that was the reason the hotel was empty just didn’t make sense. We were then told ‘don’t worry, tomorrow the hotel will be very crowded’. I found this comment to be rather odd, so, later that night we did a little research and learned that on the weekends, the hotel opens its pool up to the public for €3 per person. As it is the only hotel with a pool, and maybe one of the few pools in Vatera... well, you can imagine. It became clear that the money-maker for the hotel was the pool and the very well stocked bar that serviced the pool - locals come for the day and spend money at the bar. One other thing - they offer ‘spa’ amenities: sauna, hot tub, etc. But these are all pay by the hour, which made more sense when we realized their ‘open to the public’ scheme on weekends.

The next morning we informed the hotel that we were leaving. We mentioned that the room accommodation for the in-laws was unacceptable, and while you cannot break a reservation (and expect money back) for a place ‘feeling depressing and empty’, I believe we had grounds for some sort of refund (even partial) for the fact that the pool is not reserved for hotel guests - that it is a public pool on weekends.

Their response was that it is ‘family run’ and that they never considered themselves to be a ‘private’ hotel. What they fail to realize is that by calling yourself a hotel implies that the grounds are for paying guests - the people actually sleeping in the rooms at night. And I’m not sure what ‘family run’ has anything to do with anything; everywhere we have stayed in Greece (this was trip #4 for us) has been family run; that is the Greek way.

Finally, I would like to say that the female manager that we spoke with was absolutely atrocious; she actually mimicked my words (yes, like a 6 year old) as we were voicing our complaints. Her lack of professionalism was astounding. Never have we experienced such a childish moron, especially in the hospitality industry. It was especially shocking encountering this in Greece, which is a country known for its hospitality. She told me that my problem was a ‘bad attitude’ and that I was ‘determined to not enjoy myself’. Why anyone would go to the lengths of planning a family reunion in a special place like Greece (especially when people are coming as far away as the US)... it’s just ridiculous to even say that to someone as a response to legitimate complaints. And, while the reader of this review can’t attest to this... to say these things to a person like me (often described as fun-loving, easygoing)... it’s just laughable.

To be fair, I must state that one of the male managers did comp our food bill, which consisted of 1 lunch for 4 adults and 2 kids and 1 dinner (though only 2 adults ate at dinner). He did this when we voiced our complaints.

In the end, there was no refund.

While it is unacceptable for a hotel to fail to mention that their facilities are completely open to the public on the weekends, I understand why they are doing it - they need the money. And I’m sorry for that.

Fellow traveler... please take my advice... it will save you from disaster and disappointment - DO NOT STAY HERE.

1  Thank 333eloise
LESVOS12, General Manager at Aphrodite Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2019

Dear Guest,
After reading your review many times, we still can’t truly understand what your real problem was concerning our hotel, nor why your review is so slanderous and nasty towards all our family, nor why you would stoop so low as to lie!
First lie: Your write that you arrived at our hotel after leaving from another place on the island, Molyvos. That afternoon you had rented a car from the airport [ through e-mail we suggested that you do so] and your first place of destination on the island was our hotel and not Molyvos. Why lie??

Second lie: You mention that when you sat for dinner at the hotel, there wasn`t a large selection of items on the menu to choose from. Perhaps you were hasty, but if you had really taken a good look at our menu, you would have obviously seen that there are over 100 different items to choose from. Just about everything is always available, except from the selection of daily, traditional, Greek specials. By 10pm [ which is when you sat down to eat your dinner], we would hope and expect that the specials have finished as fresh specials are cooked up each day. AS you mentioned our waiter was informed about what was available in the daily Greeks specials. But why would you complain about that and lie that nothing else was available??

Third lie: You complained that on the children`s menu that the cost of the hamburger was expensive. You wrote that you paid 8 Euros for it. But that is a lie as on our menu it is priced at 7 Euros. You also forgot to mention that for 7 Euros a soft drink and an ice cream was also included. Why lie? Why leave out the details of the included drink and ice cream when you seem to be complaining in detail about so many other things in our hotel?

Fourth Lie: You wrote that you had no choice but to eat at our restaurant as all the other restaurants/taverns were not in walking distance and you needed a car to get to them. The tavern closest to our hotel is 150 meters away! The following restaurants/ taverns are 200 meters from us, and so on down the road. As you mentioned in your review, you yourselves took a walk down Vatera that night. Did you not see the taverns and that some of them were busy on account of the festival? They were all in walking distance? Why go to all this length and keep lying??

Fifth lie: In regards to the room of your in-laws, you mention that there is no window. But there is a window by the kitchenette and a window in the bathroom. You never mentioned at all in your review that we during the winter had exchanged many e-mails. In our e-mails I had explained in detail what the room was like and the inside and that it was by a garden on the ground floor [which is was you were looking for because of your father-in –laws disability]. I also mentioned in our e-mail that you could always cancel your booking if you changed your mind before your arrival. Why lie? Why didn`t you mention in your review that we were texting months before and that you had a very clear idea of what the room would be like before you arrived, what the hotel was like and what the area was like? Why hide this fact and lie???

Vatera is a very off the beat area. It has not fallen on hard times! Actually, it had hardly changed over the years. For those who love a peaceful holiday , the really greek hospitality and are in the `sea, sun, sand experience` this truly is the place to be! I`m assuming that is not what you were looking for and that you did not like the area at all. This is probably why everything bothered you!!!
We have a high percentage of guests, from all over the world, that keep coming back year after year and are extremely happy with our hotel and hospitality. Unfortunately you decided not to stay, but to leave. And leave you did in less than 24 hours. You said it was gutsy, but I wouldn`t say stuffing 6 people ( included two children and two old people disability) into a very small car rental, including all your luggage, that was very dangerous made for 5 people gutsy, as you put the safety of your entire family at risk! The hotel guests and staff that were down for breakfast were shocked!
Anyways, overall, we honestly cannot understand why you would go to such lengths to lie about what really happened. Despite this, we do hope that you had a good holiday no matter where you stayed on the island. We also hope that for those reading this review, that what these guests wrote were not based on fact. For whatever reason, they went to great lengths to twist and hide the truth!
The manager

Reviewed 20 July 2019

it was a wonderful holiday in this family managed hotel. I just wake up early morning , went to swimming ,sea is maximum 35-40 meters from my room ( counted as per foot ). Wonderful breakfast as a Turkish person, breakfast is very important for us. There is all kind of drinks ; tea, filter coffee, nesquil, cacao, lots of juices , milk...do not think about what to drink, they have all. ( added breakfast photos )
Rooms are clean and tidy...they clean the rooms everyday and change the towels. You have hot and cold water always and most important with good pressure.
For the beach , no need to say anything, it is just a paradise...umbrella, beds, playing area for children..restaurant in front of the beach...have your pizza with a beer while your children play in front of you...
They have all kind of food and if they do not have, just explain what you need, they will do.
The family managing the hotel is very friendly, they give all informations, if you doubt anything , just ask them, they try to help you . We took a very good advices before going around the island from the George and it helped us very much. George, his brother John they both are so friendly.
Hotel is perfect for couples and families, they have rooms for all. In my opion , this hotel is perfect for honeymoon.
wish to go there as soon as possible.

1  Thank jenya098

Dear Jeny
We really thank you very muvh for your nice review about our Hotel

Reviewed 13 July 2019

Aphrodite Beach Hotel is a family run hotel on the most beautiful beach on Lesvos, and quite possibly all of Greece! From the moment of arrival, I was treated as family. The studio was in the back in a newer addition. The back looked out onto a beautiful field and there were goats! The a/c worked great (there was a heat wave while I was there with temps topping 35!). The rooms were clean and maid service was daily. The bath is very small, as is the case so many places in Europe. The food was outstanding. Their motto is we catch it, kill it or grow it. So the menu changes daily depending on what is fresh that day! Food is available from 6 a.m. until somewhere around midnight. And it is all delicious! The staff is wonderful, everyone is so friendly. Most are family, the owners being two brothers and their wives, so the grown children are part of the staff as well. They offer a gym, jacuzzi, steam room, massage, bikes, tons of tourist info and a pool. You can eat at the pool, on the veranda or beachside. There is a playground for children with two trampolines and ample sun chairs with umbrellas. They even have a wonderful family dog, Bella, who is so sweet and gentle, you truly feel like you’re at home! Whatever you require, just ask and you will be accommodated! I will be back again and again. I feel like family!

Room tip: The upstairs units have the best views!
  • Trip type: Travelled solo