Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
olipringle
via mobile
Friendly staff

During my stay I can name pros and cons. I spend 7 days in Moalboal just to relax after travelling... read more

Reviewed 21 May 2018
Kat J
via mobile

All reviews years experience dive shop pros and cons sardines fun diving excellent diving frog fish via email the owner shrimp gary boat resort reef equipment customers shore
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I am a novice open water diver with only a handful of dives to my name, completed around the same time I achieved my PADI certification 6 months ago. As such, I thought I’d remember everything but found I was a bit rusty when trying to hook up my equipment. Not one single word of help, or encouragement was offered, instead the dive master questioned where did I achieved my open water and huffed and left me to it again. This made my shrinking confidence pretty much hit rock bottom. There were two dive groups on the boat, although I never new this until we were just about to jump into the water. I was never introduced to my dive master. Absolutely no talk from either dive masters on route to dive site, no pre planning of dive. No introduction to anyone. No buddying up. Literally no talking by anyone at all. I cannot convey enough how moody the dive masters were. I ended up staying on the boat as I didn’t feel I could dive with this outfit. Completely horrid experience!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Like a recent reviewer I'd agree that this dive shop is OK for more experienced divers but would not be so great for beginners.
My initial impression was good, I'd emailed in advance and not only did they reply (a few other dive shops in Moalboal didn't even bother), but they were able to set up the dive sites I had requested. On arriving in Moalboal I went in to confirm and the owner seemed friendly and welcoming.
After that it went downhill... The following day I showed up to dive and the staff seemed annoyed to have to stop chatting and get paperwork and equipment for me. At no point did any of the staff bother introducing themselves, I actually had to ask around to see who was going to be my guide for the dives.
I wasn't asked for proof of certification by the staff, and only when we were in the water about to descend did the guide ask me my certification level, even though it was on my paperwork earlier.
Dive briefings were very brief, and consisted of nothing more than quoting a maximum depth. The guide was actually pretty good underwater and spotted some good stuff, the dives themselves were both good.
Upon returning to the shop I was told by another disinterested staff member to come back in an hour or so to pay as no one was available to do it at the time.
As someone who runs a dive shop myself I think some attention to detail by the owner would make a big difference to the overall experience.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed at the Blue Abyss resort for five nights with a friend that had never dived before and was keen to do the IDIC open water course. The diving school were extremely accommodating to our differing needs, allowing my friend to complete his course with Gary whilst I did a 10 dive package with the rest of the more advanced divers. They were flexible in the cost of the accommodation and gave us a great deal to be able to share a room for the five nights.

Accommodation

The accommodation was comfortable, immaculately clean and had nice hot showers and storage facilities. The grounds that the accommodation was set in is beautiful, and the food from the restaurant was an experience in itself. The chefs are clearly highly trained and the food would not be out of place in a high end western restaurant. The restaurant/resort is run by a lovely family who are very attentive, funny and kind. It's got an extremely homely feel to it.

The diving

The entire dive school and operation is a well oiled machine and runs like clockwork. Klemens is clearly an excellent manager, and the dive school manages to have an extremely laid back feel without compromising on safety. On my 10 dive package they were very flexible with dive sites, allowing me to get out to PESCADOR island and also dive the famous sardine run. JUN was our dive leader and he is an exceptionally good diver, and a macro expert able to point out macro life the the untrained eye would never find (we saw a harlequin ghost pipefish). Jun has been driving over 20 years with 10,000+ dives, but he has no ego and is extremely patient and accommodating to his dive group of varying abilities. It was a pleasure diving with him

My friend also spoke extremely highly of Gary as an instructor for the openw water course. Gary speaks almost perfect English, has a good sense of humour, and made sure my friend never once felt uncomfortable in the water.

All in all it was a highly memorable 5 days and I would recommend Blue Abyss highly to anyone that wants to experience the amazing diving Moalboal has to offer.

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

Thinking hard if I should write this. There are pros and cons. And definitely things that can be worked on.

Pro:
•They are honest, booked room and dives via email. Based on trust. They didn't asked for any deposit. And total trust you to arrive.
• Booked 5 boat dives, however they sent the boat for inspection on the 2nd day. And they did charged us slightly lesser ft the 5 dives package we booked.
•Equipment are new, staffs are friendly.

Maybe they should work on:
• Making sure the group stays together. Like it or not, there's always amutures or individuals that's prefer to take the pace slow.
- I had a beginner in tow with me. After the first dive, I gave up trying to catch up with the group. And did our own safety stops for the rest of the dives.
•Being the experts of the dive sites, We would appreciate if the guide could show us more stuffs. Thoughout the few dives, the only thing we were pointed to one time was an octopus.
- Been diving for more than 10 years, I have seen really enthusiastic guides that shows you everything with excitement.

Ps* They have Harlequin Shrimps at house reef. Which was spotted by customers. That they didn't even know about it.

Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

During my stay I can name pros and cons.
I spend 7 days in Moalboal just to relax after travelling around a lot.
To make it short :
Pro: nice and friendly staff, good equipment ( my wetsuit was nearly new and the best I’d ever rented ).
Amazing dive spots like sardines and pescador. Experienced guides. I really liked Clemens.

Cons: high repetition on dive spots. I think they went 4x a week to pescador even they offer different ones. What really annoyed me was how I felt treated when I refused to make a course. I don’t name anyone but my personal opinion was that after I refused the course I was not treated that nice anymore.
Well, it was just my personal feeling but it made me upset.

Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

I did 2 dives with a guide named Jun. My god-that guy is almost a fish,he has so much experience and patience to show every interesting thing we saw under water. He even took with him a plastic tablet and a pen in order to write the name of the fish we were seeing. What a great experience. If you are coming to dive at mualboal abyss is the place

Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Really good and professional dive shop. Well equipped. We really enjoyed dives with Jun, calm and patient diver. Very beautiful dive sites, we saw many frog fish and turtles. Great reef:)

Reviewed 18 April 2018

Friendly and helpful staff. Excellent diving. Domestic reef is beautiful. Turtles everywhere. Discovered a lot of new underwater animals. The restaurant has delicious food. The hotel is very good and is close to the diving center

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

I went diving with Blue Abyss for two days, and had a wonderful experience. I don’t dive regularly so I needed help setting up my gear and getting back into diving mode. George was a patient and attentive dive master who coached me through the dive, until I felt confident on my own. Jun was always there to help and answer questions. The equipment was in good shape, the prices reasonable, and the dives were fantastic. I highly recommend Blue Abyss, and both George and Jun, for a great dive experience in Moalboal.

Reviewed 12 December 2017

Dived with Blue Abyss and the experience was amazing. Excellent service and the staff were all very accommodating and helpful. Was 1.5 years since my last dive however they were so patient with teaching me and made sure I felt assured by assisting me and giving me tips throughout the 2 days of diving with them. Ask for Gary if you need a good dive guide :-)