“A review from someone (A Brit) who has spent a total of 3 months in this hotel in the past 5 years!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
wales, uk
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Like 'chamagnecoops' I too would urge you to disregard the posting of the british honeymooners on 9th September. I am really sorry if their holiday was spoiled but I cannot imagine how this could happen or indeed recognise their descriptions of anything (other than their praise for the star friends team). In fact their review only really talks about some staff not smiling which in my experience is very rare.

I could now write a very long review covering every aspect of the experiences my wife and I (together often with our friends from the UK) have had every year since the Grand opened. I shall not as if you read all the 5 star reviews I would be replicating many of these and so I will provide a brief summary.

We stay here each year for a minimum of two weeks and sometimes 3! Just returned from 2 weeks from 1st September 2012 and am sitting here at home, sun tan barely faded as I feel compelled to write a review and book my next trip to the Grand for 2013. (Probably the rarity of review from Brits is due to the fact we are not the biggest market for this hotel and also we can be lazy about reviewing these type of things, I am guilty of this I know!)

The hotel is simply breath taking. The service and the staff are attentive, considerate, friendly and in my experience unsurpassed. The value is exceptional, rooms spacious, location perfect and the food is outstanding (close to running out of superlatives now)

For any prospective honeymooners who may be put off by the 9th Sept review, please look at other previous honeymooners reviews, we attended a wedding this year and I shall not speak for the couple as I am sure when they return they will do this, but suffice to say they seemed to have a fantastic time at this award winning hotel and their parents have also been a total of 5 times too!!

We truly believe this hotel is an undiscovered gem (particularly in the UK). The cost can appear high but when you see the quality of what you get whether its the service, food or the sheer magnificence of this hotel, it is actually great value with no hidden extras.

Not many hotels get the best 5 star all inclusive in the world title from trip advisor so my final tip is ignore the very few who post negative reviews. We will return annually and any change in the quality or value would stop us coming but in 5 years there is no sign of that which is a testament to the hotels resilience and desire to remain the best.

Final mention for Aleli, Daniel, Marcelino, Roberto, Luis, Olivia, Jose, Yaphet and the many other staff who helped make our stay this time as perfect as ever . Chema and Omar (the head chefs) your food is outstanding and you manage to make improvements each year. This year the outside grill station was a great success.

Alfonso (the manager) congratulations on the great success of the hotel and Ioanna (at reception) THANKS!!

Room Tip: As previously stated ALL the rooms are fantastic its just the views that change
16 Thank walestravellers838
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear M. Walestravellers838

First of all thank you for share with all the travelers your experience at our Hotel Iberostar Grand Paraiso, our main goal is exceed the expectations of the travelers that decide to enjoy their vacations with us.
It was a delightful for all our staff hear that you appreciate the service of all of them and your comment encourage us to continue improving our services.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back the next year and if it can be before would be a honors for us.
Kind regards
Iberostar Mexico
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,440)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Whitehouse, Texas
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We stayed Sept. 4th-9th. We were in ocean front bldg 71 which had 3rd floor closed for renovations and were in the process of closing the whole bldg down for a month. Didnt hardly notice any of the work going on which surprised me. The whole place is very well kept up with people working nonstop on the grounds. Breakfast buffet was really good with 2 egg/omelet cook stations and all the normal things...cereals, pancakes, waffles, yogurts and donuts that they cook right there. Lunch buffet is good to with lobster, steaks, hamburgers, fries and lots of other stuff. They cook something just outside the lunch buffet everyday(fillet mignon, shrimp etc) you can try that to or order off the menu. Only went to dinner buffet once and it was Italian themed that night and had cook stations making pasta and pizza how you wanted. Tony's was great. The Japanese was good but the cook didn't have all the good moves and flair like i was expecting. He would just slap his big fork and knife together every so often. The gourmet/french place just wasn't for us. The food was pretty to look at but YUCK. It didn't taste good at all. This was the only place on the property that the service was slow and lacking. We didn't try the Italian a la carte restaurant.
We spent most our time at the beach which is great white sand. There are 2 big rock formations right in front of grand which some people complain about but i liked them. A lot of fish hung out around them and its not a bad place to snorkel. Drink service was ok at the beach and they would bring you anything you wanted. My wife got them to get her hot dog with fries once. We had a woman stop by and had popsicles and ice cream sandwiches and things along those lines. Had a few vendors walk by and not one was pushy with cigars, hats, jewelry and rugs for sale.
On the north end of the iberostar property on the beach is a spot for tours like snorkeling, atv's, scuba and i don't remember what else. We didn't use them but just found them the day before we left and wished we had. Didn't even need to get on a bus with other folks to go do a tour just walk up the beach a little bit.
The shopping center was nice also. The taco bar was ok in my opinion and ice-cream place was good with cones and crepes and a few other things. Both of them are included. We didn't even have to go into town they had plenty of stuff for us shopping wise at the center. But if you do want to go into town they do a free shuttle from the hotel at certain times just ask someone about it.
They will carry you on a golf cart wherever you want to go on the property. We walked through the other iberostar resorts next door and ate the breakfast buffet there which didn't have near the same selection as the grand and ate at the a la carte mexican tampatio which was really good. The Mayan bar was real neat inside and out and the pools at the other resorts are extremely nice also. They were actually bigger and spread out a lot more which i liked.
The room was nice and spacious with a table and sitting area near the patio and real comfortable king size bed. They would clean it by noon or so then turn it down in the evening. Did the bubble bath with rose pedals and wine for us like i have read about in other reviews. Fridge was stocked everyday along with the ice bucket. There is a safe in the room also.
The staff all seemed friendly and would try to remember your name so they could talk to you later and call you by name. I didn't care if they did or didn't but i figure most other would people like that kind of thing.
The bars were all nice and had a cocktail menu for the ladies which they would make things not on the menu just ask and the good brands of vodka(grey goose/absolute) and they had crown. Only thing I didn't like about the bars was that the pool bar closed at 6pm and the beach service ended at 5 or 6 i don't remember.
All in all this is a great place and i cant figure how anyone would not like this place. We will return to enjoy it again.

Room Tip: oceanfront is worth the extra money plus you can walk anywhere at the grand in about 5 minutes.
12 Thank MelanieSBenson
Dear Guest,

We take this opportunity to Thank You for the review you have written for the benefit of the TripAdvisor community. There is immense pleasure of having a guest such as your self speak in such high regard for our Hotel. We Thank you for your support and above all your recommendation that makes our team proud.

We thank you for your recommendations and look forward to welcoming you back!!!

Best regards,
Aledo, Texas
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I have to say I brought 3 other people with me on this visit and everyone said it was the best place they have stayed. This is a big deal since one of them has been 6 star all over the US and world. She said it was so good she was going to be back in February. The other lady wants to go back at Christmas with her family but no kids are allowed. She said she knew what it was like to be Oprah now! My husband told me THANK you for bringing me and he has never done that. You want for nothing. If you do not see it just ask and it will happen. You want a special drink, they make it. Top shelf everything and the food...well the LUNCH buffet has grilled lobster, filets, grilled and boiled shrimp...every day not just one day. It is the best NON buffet food I have been to as a travel agent that is saying something. My message to you is GO!

Room Tip: We went in Sept and were upgraded to an oceanview room since it was not busy. All the rooms are good...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Diane D
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear guest:

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with other travelers your experience at our hotel.

We consider it to be a great honor to have had the opportunity to have served you and the fact that you endorsed our property highly, is very motivating our Managers and Staff to keep on going the extra mile, we thank you for high light our services as well as the food and is really nice heard that you enjoy your vacations among us.

It will be an honor welcoming you and your friend again in a near future,

Regards,
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 11 September 2012

My wife and I spent our honeymoon for two weeks at this beautiful and luxurious resort and let me tell you I spent months doing my research in hoping I would pick the perfect place to spend our honeymoon and unwind for some very much needed time off . From the moment you arrive you are treated like royalty. CHECK-IN: was quick and very professional, we asked for an upgrade and received an ocean-view suite for FREE (BIG WOW FACTOR). We have travelled all throughout the caribbean, so we had some high expectations, luckily those expectations were met and then some.

STAFF: From the cleaners, concierge, butlers, bartenders, waiters, "star friends" they were always attentive and happy to please us in any way they can - words cannot describe how thrilled we were with the overall service. Special shout-outs to staff who went above and beyond their duties: Olivia (Ice-cream lady), Hugo (Head Waiter), Eder (Assistant Man. Pool Staff), Patricia (concierge).

FOOD: Breakfast Buffet - always delicious with many choices; Lunch Buffet - Imagine eating the best bbq meats and lobster and seafood everyday. I ate about 8 lobster tails a day; Dinner - A wide selections of international cuisines, Italian, Japanese, French and our favourite Tony's Surf & Turf, where Hugo, the waiter let me go to the kitchen and choose my own cut of steak (strip-loin, porter house, filet mignon) However, they had dinner buffets that were offered on a few nights of the week and they were outstanding as well. Room Service - We were very pleased with the selection and quality of food. Unlike my wife, she has a big sweet tooth and loves chocolate, so her only wish is that there would be more options of chocolate desserts. However, her favourite chocolate cakes were from room-service and at Tony's.

POOL AND BEACH: There are 3 pools at the Grand and we spent most of our time at the main pool which is HUGE to say the least, you could always find a beach chair, they also have pools at the spa and another smaller one which had more of a quieter relaxed feel. The beach was incredible and always felt like we were jumping into heated bath tub...the sand was smooth and there were always beach lounge chairs to find.

OVERALL: This resort is an absolute must for anyone looking for that VACATION IN HEAVEN and those just looking to recharge there batteries. From the beach, to the food, to the service, everything was just so amazing. Let's put it this way, If you can't be happy at the GRAND then there is nowhere on this planet that will make you feel as happy as they do at the GRAND. Thank you so much for making this the most amazing life long memory that we could ever ask for. WE'LL BE BACK!!!!!

19 Thank F2BF
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Dear guest

We appreciate the time you invested in writing a review of your recent stay and on behalf of IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso we would like to express our gratitude for the kind words you have submitted about us also we would like to sincerely thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements experienced during your vacations.

It is always very inspiring for our team to read that guests appreciate our service. Your comment is an asset to promote our hotel and the “Riviera Maya” to other guests who would like to visit us.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back soon and trust you will not hesitate to return.

Best regards
Iberostar Mexico.
Santiago
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Since i like to read accurate and helpfull reviews i will try to resume my impression of this Great Resort.

First of all i will like to mention and give many thanks to all the amazing staff at this hotel which really makes you feel like a star...everywhere you go , youll have amazing service..big smiles and always wiiling to help. The concierge and butler in each building really makes you feel you have someone there for you 24/7 to help you and assist you in anything..and i mean anything!

Saray at front desk, Alfredo at the buffets, Lucero the cigar girl..etc sorry i dont remember more names..

Checking In: Zero wait, kindly welcome and got a amazing treatment from Saray at the Front Desk.
Golf cart ride to our room ( Building 71 Ocean Front ), definetly the best spot on this Resort, try second or third floor for an amazing breathtaking view from your room .

Rooms are huge, very classy, fully equiped, full marble, giant bathroom, really nice...only thing i didt like so much was that the wc has transparent crystal walls so need to close the front bath doors to get privacy..apart from that..very very nice bathroom.

Hotel arquitecture is really high class , mixes greco-roman style with the tropical gardens and beach which gives you a mixture really nice to see...rarely found in the riviera maya.

Pools, heated, huge semi-salted main pool with a very nice swim up bar. Top notch drinks.
Tranquility pool very roman stye, quite and nice spot to take a nap.

Indoor pool situated in the spa building, nice place to go in the afternoons...or in a rainy day if you get any rain!! natural fruit juice bar in this pool...

Beach: Amazing sand, thick soft and very powdery... lots of palapas and very nice lounge chairs..individual and queen size for a couple to lay down.. Some rocks in front of building 71..move in front of building 70 and youll have a very nice sandy beach, witrh amazing turquoise colors.

Definetly give a try or two to walking down the beach to the right side of the resort...youll have a 20-25 minute walk to the next resorts in Maroma...secrets Maroma, maroma resort by orient express..and other...very very nices beaches down here..try them to refresh yourself during this very nice walk.

Buffets: Excellent, gourmet level..plus you have always the alternative to order a la carte...
Retaurants: Wont describe each one of them, but theyt are all good...my preference tonys Surf and turf.

Nightly shows: Good, nothing to blow yourself away, but they do deliver and very good live show.

Service: Really the highlight of this resort. Amazing, in the buffets, in the main pool, in the tranquility pool, in the beach..everywhere you go..youll have someone taking care of you and tipping or not...service is consistent and always with a happy smile..simply amazing service.

So far and with this being my 4th trip to Riviera Maya..this resort is highly the best i have ever been to.

You wont regret it.

Room Tip: Building 71.
20 Thank Rodrigo R
Dear Guest:
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager. Thank you for your informative review. We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful vacation with us.

At the Iberostar Grand Paraisol we take pride in offering our guests luxurious accommodations and the very best in food and beverages. Your review is motivating as it reflects that we continuously exceed our guest’s high expectations.

Your special mention of the staff that enhanced the quality of your trip was also greatly appreciated. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, but reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more.
We hope that you will not hesitate in returning in the near future and we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Warmest Regards,

Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
15.5 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
0.3 km away
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK