“3rd time as good as the 1st”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Nashville, Tennessee
“3rd time as good as the 1st”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

This was our third trip to the Grand and the place is a little piece of heaven. There are a few things I really like about this place that keep bringing me back. First the resort it self is really designed well, you don't have to walk a mile to get to restaurants or anywhere for that matter. We have stayed in the oceanfront rooms and we are right by the everything. (pool, restaurants, beach, etc). Also, it's a quick trip from the airport, our flight landed at 11am and we were having lunch on the resort by 12:30pm.

I am a fairly picky eater but I have never found a problem finding great food... The buffets for breakfast and lunch are full of choices. For dinners, the Japanese restaurant and Toni's surf and turf are the best in my opinion, we didnt even go to the Italian or French restaurants this time.

The staff is great, always willing to help and they are smiling. Since we have been there three times it's nice to see some familiar faces like Norberto and Daniel at the pool bar, and even the star friends have been there a while. I think that's the sign of a great place is a loyal staff.

I played golf this time and rented clubs, golf course was nice but take some bug spray.

Overall whether you are honeymooning or vacationing with that special someone, you will not go wrong with this place and the next thing you know you will be a repeat guest like everyone else you read on these TA boards.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank JasonW793
, Quality manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We were happy to learn that you had an excellent vacation and that you were pleased with our service. Your review is motivating as it reflects that we continuously exceed our guest’s high expectations.

We thank you sincerely for choosing the Iberostar Grand Paraiso once again and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you for 4th time in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Iberostar Mexico
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,462)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Matawan, NJ
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Iberostar Grand was recommended to us by a friend and we are forever indebted to them for the advice. My husband and I have visited the resort for the last 3 summers and we will be returning once again this summer in August and we can not wait! (I probably should have written this upon our return, but better late than never.)

You absolutely want for nothing at this property. We have traveled on many cruises and stayed at many resorts and Ibersostar Grand is beyond compare. The property is gorgeous; the service is beyond spectacular; the activities are few or many dependent upon what you are looking for in a vacation.

Restaurants
We loved the steakhouse and japanese the most but we have heard nothing but good reviews from all of the restaurants.

Some of the staff remembered us and even if they didn't the red carpet was rolled out for you around every corner. In fact, when we arrived last year, we felt like a king and queen. We were greeted by two managers welcoming us HOME asking us what could be done to make our stay more comfortable (Thank you Arnaud)! When we were stranded there last year due to HURRICANE IRENE, most of the staff was asking after our relatives and how things were at home. In addition, they made an extremely stressful situation very bearable. They told us -- No PROBLEM -- you need to stay-- STAY and took care of everything. We had MAJOR problems with the airline but working with the GRAND seamless. They even had a record of our requests from previous years.

PROPERTY/GROUNDS
The property is gorgeous! At the GRAND you are eligible for all of the IBEROSTAR properties.
You have the beach, the pool, the tranquil pool -- there is also the spa, the shopping plaza and the other properties to visit -- No need to leave the grounds. We LOVED the tranquil pool. THANK YOU to MIRNA for taking superb service.

If you are looking to treat yourself, go to IBEROSTAR GRAND. We have been other places but choose to keep returning for a restful, spectacular, wonderful vacation.

PK in NJ

Room Tip: We liked BLDG 72 because it is near the tranquil pool.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
14 Thank 11pattik
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review which you have shared with other travelers. We appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you again. Your evaluation is of special importance to us as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services over a three (3) years period and coming for a fourth visit. The fact that we continue to receive positive reviews from you is proof of our commitment to consistent and quality service. Your recommendation of our property is also encouraging our Management and staff who ensure that your vacation is relaxing.

We appreciate that you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: scenic property, delicious and varied food; friendly and efficient staff and relaxing beach. We hope that you will continue to give us the pleasure of hosting you when next you are planning your vacation as we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This was the second year we have stayed at an Iberostar Grand, and the first year at this particular property. As high as my expectations were, this Iberostar still managed to exceed them!

We flew into Cancun airport and had arranged for a transfer through Cancun Transfers (I will separately review them later). The drive from the airport takes about 35-40 minutes, as the property is not in Cancun, but south of the city, toward Playa del Carmen. Upon arriving, we were upgraded to an ocean-front room, which was a fabulous surprise! We later surmised that the upgrade was partly given because the resort was not that full the week we were there. Of course, we were offered a cool towel and welcome drink within moments of our arrival.

We were shuttled to our room on a golf cart (sometimes necessary to get around, especially in heels, due to the sheer size of the complex, which includes not only the Grand, but four other connecting Iberostar resorts). Our bellman was fabulous, though I regret that I do not remember his name. He was the older of the two gentlemen at the front most of the time, and he was consistently gracious and welcoming.

Our butler showed up sometime later--it felt like ages, though I believe it was only about 30-45 minutes, but I wanted to get out and see the beach! I don't remember his name either. As was the case last year at the Grand in Jamaica, the butler service was one of the disappointments of the trip. I don't think we ever got anything else from the butler, and none of them offered to arrange a special bath, a bottle of champagne, a special dessert, etc. I had decided I would not ask for any of the above and simply see if the butlers did anything special for us. Thus, when they did not, it wasn't a huge disappointment, but it would have made a fabulous vacation that much more special. Frankly, I have no idea what the butlers actually do most of the time.

We got out to the beach later that afternoon. As some have stated, it is very rocky directly in front of the resort. Do not try to swim in that area, as the combination of the large underwater rocks (which are hard to see) and the undertow could really spell danger! Instead, just go down the beach to the area in front of the Maya and Lindo Iberostar section. There is a roped-off section, and anything in or near it is smooth and sandy.

As we expected, the resort was over-the-top beautiful. Food and drinks were also very good. The pool bar guys make a tasty mojito and a great pina colada. We ate at each of the a la carte restaurants, except for the Gourmet. The surf and turf was probably our favorite. The Italian had good dishes and bad ones. The Japanese was typical hibachi and good, but small, sushi. In addition, at lunch each day, there were freshly grilled items, like lobster, shrimp tacos (a personal favorite!), and steak with seasonings and special salts, such as Himalayan rock salt. I literally had lobster every day for lunch, because it could be ordered off the lunch a la carte menu, available even though they also offer the full buffet. Also, anytime they are serving Mexican dishes, either at lunch or the nighttime buffet, hone in on those items. Maybe it's obvious, but the Mexican dishes at this Iberostar were the clear winners.

The ONE THING I would suggest to Iberostar is to hire a pastry chef!!! (In fact, let some of the butlers go, if that's what it takes!) It was clear throughout the week that almost all the desserts were very much like those that can be purchased from the frozen aisle at Costco. In fact, I'm fairly sure that some of them WERE from Costco, as there is one in Cancun. The desserts were almost universally a huge disappointment. Even if they are being made, not bought, they are frozen and then defrosted. Not fresh. Not good. I am a chocolate freak, but I quickly gave up on satiating my sweet tooth on this trip.

Our stay this year was a day longer than last year's in Jamaica, so we were better able to take advantage of some of the activities offered. This group of "Star Friends" were a very friendly crew with a lot of talent and personality. We enjoyed meeting Eduardo, Veronica, Augustin and Daniel and doing a number of the scheduled activities with them. They always had something going on, even when it started raining. We also saw two shows, the Rock Show and the Magic Show, and both were enjoyable and surprisingly well produced.

Speaking of rain, if it happens while you are there, don't despair. Just go to the indoor pool and spa area, which is absolutely beautiful as well. We left the Iberostar to stay at a hotel on the Cancun strip for the final two days of our stay, just when a tropical storm hit the area. There was nothing to do at our new hotel during the rain, and we wished we were back at the Iberostar the whole time. By the way, that other hotel--the Ritz Carlton. I think that says it all.

Grand Paraiso, I already dearly miss you and wish I were back! Next year, I hope!

Room Tip: If you can't get oceanfront, ask for a room overlooking the beautiful tranquility pool (or the Q...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
19 Thank marietta_atty
Dear guest

We would like to thank you for the time you invested to provide details of your recent stay with us. We were to glad to read that you enjoyed the friendly service and delicious food we offer all of our guests also we really appreciate your feedback as it allows us to continuously improve our service.

We hasten to express our sincere regret that your visit fell below par with the butler service. We are terribly concerned about it because it is one of our strength and normally people leave the hotel just adoring them.
For sure we will send all your comments to our different managers in order to help and motivate us to be better every time. We must continue working to improve in our services and in some areas of the hotel. We will do our best effort on those aspects.
We will be very glad if you give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future!
Warmest regards.

Sydney
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso for eight nights in June 2012. We'd previously stayed at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana, DR, so I will also include a comparison between these two resorts.

I should note that IGP was at about 50% capacity when we stayed, vs IGB that was at full capacity, so I think this impacted the service slightly, but also impacts the atmosphere - so pros and cons to being at a quiet vs busy resort.

Overall resort:
IGP is a beautiful, luxurious all-inclusive, on immaculate grounds with great attention to detail. It's clean, well-kept and spacious, without being too huge. The overall resort is so similar to IGB, from the furniture, decor, look and feel etc, with the Paraiso being slightly more spread out.

Rooms:
The rooms at IGP are really nice - decent size, comfy king bed, great balcony with couch and swinging love seat, big bathrooms with two sinks and jet spa tub. The rooms don't have wifi but do have an ethernet connection, so we brought a portable unit (Apple Airport Express) and had internet access on our iPhones and iPad from our room and balcony the whole trip, which was a great solution.

We were initially in the first room on the top floor of building 74, overlooking the tranquility pool. This was a great location for convenience to the lobby bar and restaurants and tranquility pool, and a bit further to the main pool and lunch buffet. IT was quite private which is what we were after. We could see the ocean in the distance (the room was oceanview) but the focal point of the view was the pool.

After two nights we were upgraded to Oceanfront, due to a problem with the water system in our building (we hadn't encountered any problems, but were advised the water for building 74 needed to be shut off). Slightly frustrating having to re-pack and move rooms, but given it was a complimentary upgrade to Oceanfront it was worth it. We were in building 71 on the middle floor, about four rooms down. The beach in front of us was very quiet, with very few people in the palapas at this end of the beach (probably due to the rocks in the ocean at this end of the beach). It was lovely being so close to the water. I also preferred to location close to the main pool and most restaurants, and didn't matter being a longer walk to the lobby bar or theatre. I'd definitely love to stay in an Oceanfront room again, however I don't think I'd pay the extra if I didn't get the free upgrade.

Compared to the IG Bavaro, the rooms are really the same, with the key difference being the IGB having the spa bath overlooking the balcony, which was nice, and the IGB room's probably being a touch smaller, and having wifi. All minor differences.

Butler, minibar, etc:
Our butler greeted us at the start of the trip and very promptly organised everything we needed (pillow menu, minibar requests, ethernet cable etc). We requested scotch whiskey, which they don't have in the little mini bottles, so he brought us up a full 750 mL Johnny Walker Red Label. We also asked him if we could try a different tequelia to the ones in the minbar, and we recieved a large 1L bottle of this too, plus fresh limes and salt! Otherwise our minibar was restocked with our preferences of water, sodas and beer daily. One day it hadn't been restocked and we called concierge and they had our request up to us in minutes. Similarly, anything else we wanted was brought up really promptly.

The concierge desk was friendly and efficient in restaurant reservations and everything else we could ask for.

We found the service at IGB a bit less efficient, however this may be due to the hotel being at max capacity vs 50% at IGP. Also, given it was our second time staying at an Iberostar Grand, we knew what to expect, what we could ask for etc so probably got more out of the services available second time around.

Food & drink:
I love all-inclusive resorts due to the relaxed, everything-taken-care-of feeling, and being able to get food and drink whenever you like is fantastic. The quality of food at the IGP is really good for an all-inclusive - we ate so much (I put on a few pounds!) and were never lacking for choice.

Due to the 50% hotel capacity, breakfast was only available in the main buffet and lunch only in the beachside buffet. Both had great selections and great service. Breakfast has omelette stations for made-to-order eggs & omlettes, which I loved. Also lots of fresh juices and your normal breakfast fare. For lunch, there was often a station set up outside with the day's speciality, plus a variety of options inside. We were never stuck for options and really enjoyed the buffets.

In the evenings, the buffet was open Friday (Italian), Sunday (Mexican) and Wednesday (International). Wednesday was the only day that you had to eat at the buffet, and each other day 2 or 3 of the a la cartes were open (seating times were 6:30, 7, 8:30 or 9). We tried all four. Our favourite was the Japanese - the tepanyaki grill was lots of fun and the sushi, tempura and other dishes were good quality. Surf and Turf was good too. We ate at each of these twice. The Italian and Gourmet were less impressive, but we still enjoyed our meals. Nothing to complain about at any, and the service is fantastic, restaurants are beautiful, and our evening meals were realy enjoyable. Our favourite night however was the Mexican buffet night. We were greeted with a margharita and shot of tequila from a large tequila bar stand, which was fun, and the food on the evening was amazing!

If comparing the food to IGB, I'd say both have great options and we enjoyed different things at each resort. At IGB, Surf and Turf was by far our favourite, and we didn't think the Japanese was great, but at IGP we loved the Japanese. The buffets were similar - I'd give the edge to IGP, although the Bavaro has a beautiful outside section at lunch. I preferred the location and views from the IGP restaurants. Given the menus are the same, I think it depends a lot of the chef on the night and the produce.

We spent a few evenings at the lobby bar - again great drink service, huge selection of top-shelf spirits, and really fast and friendly. Most nights we found the lobby bar pretty quiet (not many guests) - again, due to the low capacity. Interestingly many reviews I read said the lobby bar at IGP was more lively than IGB, however we found the opposite. There is also a smoking bar and a music bar, which we didn't really use.

The pool bar at the main pool is fun, with swim-up and poolside service. There was drink service around the pool too (including the tranquility pool, which is further from the bar). The cocktails are yummy however can get quite sweet after a few!

Pools:
We spent most of our time at the main pool, plus a couple of times at the tranquility pool and indoor pool. I like the idea of having multiple pool options. The pools were warm and nice to swim in. It was too hot when we were there to even think about the hot tubs!

We were always able to find shade at both pools when we went down mid-morning - no issues with "towel games" or anything like that. Later in the day there was always options for shaded cabanas at the tranquility pool, but the main pool got a bit busier. We preferred the main pool as it had a nice atmosphere, with music and pools games and activities - we didn't participate in many but nice to have the activity around you. It wasn't a party pool by any stretch, so still very relaxing. The tranquility pool was very quiet, so nice if you want that too.

We actually preferred the layout of the pool and cabanas at IG Bavaro. There seemed to be more cabanas and the layout felt more tropical than the large oval-shaped pool of the IGP. However, having the extra pool options is a definite plus for IGP.

Activities & entertainment:
The Star friends were friendly and enthusiastic and tried to hit the right balance between encouraging you to join in the activities but leaving you to relax if this is what you preferred. There are pool activities like kayak races, volleyball, water polo, bingo, water aerobics etc happening throughout the day. There are also water sports on the beach, which we didn't use.

The Theatre had shows every night, which were really enjoyable. We saw the Rock show, Boogie nights, the Magician and the Las Vegas show. The Rock show and Boogie nights were my favourites. The Magician was fun too if you enjoy illusionists. We saw a few shows at IGB which were also great, but I'd say the quality of the Paraiso shows was a bit higher standard.

We played golf at both resorts and both have great courses, with green fees, drink service and carts included in our package. At IGP, make sure you bring bug spray / mosquito repellent, as the mozzies are terrible in parts!

Both IGB and IGP had a disco / nightclub - we want to the IGP disco on two nights and had lots of fun. It wasn't very busy but enough people to create some atmosphere. The disco has a Star Wars theme which is really cheesy but doesn't matter. The disco has guests from all Iberostar resorts. It was fun, but not really a proper nightclub. IGB had a small casino, which is something we would have loved to see in Paraiso as another nightlife option.

Overall:
We loved our stay at IGP and would definitely return. It's a really relaxing vacation, where you can do as much or as little as you want. The service is top-notch and one of the things that really makes it. It's also nice to be in an adults only environment. We are a young couple (28 & 30) and there were guests of similar age to us but mostly older clientele. I wouldn't recommend this resort if you were after big nightlife and parties, but we found between the theatre, lobby bar and disco there were enough options for evenings.

The IGP and IGB are so similar that I would happily return to both. I'd give the edge to IGB for the pool, resort layout & beach, and to the IGP for the service. For our next trip if we choose between the two it will come down to price and flights - IGP is closer and shorter flights, which is a big tick. All in all, both are amazing and you can't go wrong with either :)

Room Tip: Our first room was the first room on the top floor of building 74. Great spot for both convenience a...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
24 Thank L77777
Dear Guest.

First of all we thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at our two properties Iberostar Grand Paraiso and Grand Bavaro, we are sure it will be very helpful for other clients.

We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were satisfied with the service and facilities provided by our property. . We look forward to serving you in the future.

Plano
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This place is a ghost town. Nobody is ever there, and there is nothing to do. If you are looking to be by yourself then this place is ok. We got sick after eating the food, we had to re order room service multiple times after the orders didn't come. We had friends come meet us from Playa and they drove 30 minutes each way and the hotel wouldn't even let them in to see us. This place sucks in my opinion and I have been all over the World. I will deff never go back.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel if you want to have any fun.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
15.5 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
0.3 km away
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK