“Amazing resort - truly paradise!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Amazing resort - truly paradise!”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from our Mexican vacation and I can safely say that the Iberostar Grand Paraiso was the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed in! Granted, I haven’t stayed in a lot of resorts and I am typically more of a “hostel” girl but this resort went a long way to making this a fabulous trip. When we arrived we were met with hot towels and champagne, and were upgraded to an ocean front suite for free! Now I read in another review that a person felt they’d been swindled because when they got to the room they’d been upgraded to, they found a pre-printed personalized letter there, indicating the room had been theirs all along. Maybe so, but who cares? Certainly not us, when we got to our room and saw that amazing view of the ocean and beach!!! As soon as we put our luggage down, we heard a knock on our door and it was our butler there to introduce himself and ask what we needed. We requested Kahlua, wine, and Coors Lite, and when we got back to our room after a quick tour of the property we found everything waiting. Our mini-fridge was always well stocked with water and everything else we requested – no problems there.

The service at this resort is top-notch. As I mentioned I do not stay in a lot of high-end resorts so maybe it just doesn’t take much to impress me, but I loved the turn-down service and chocolates on our pillows every night. And the selection of pillows to choose from was great! Our butler was always around to make sure we were enjoying our stay, and the concierge was great with answering questions. We also liked that we were able to borrow DVD’s from our concierge. We had couple of early mornings so we had a few movie nights instead of staying out at the bar or going to a show. Everyone we encountered at this resort was so great and went way out of our way to make our visit amazing – even to the point of anticipating our needs before we’d even thought of them! One night we came back from the nightly show to find that our butler had prepared us a bubble bath, complete with rose petals from the door to bathroom, and then to the bed where there were petals everywhere and two swans made from towels forming the shape of a heart. It was so sweet and romantic! Unfortunately the bath must have been prepared a while before we got there, because the water was ice cold. Even still, it was a nice surprise. We’re still wondering if this is something they do for everyone…

The good about this resort:
- The grounds: lush plants and flowers, rain forests, beautiful pools and beaches – everything was so scenic and gorgeous!
- The rooms: I loved the size of the bathrooms with his and hers sinks, the rain shower, two closets, and the chaise lounge by the balcony for reading
- The balconies: HUGE! And with a couch, table, and swing chair, there were lots of places to relax outdoors and enjoy the view. We ordered room service for breakfast on our last day, and ate on our balcony enjoying the view of the ocean
- The main pool: It was nice that we could get free sunscreen, and we almost never had issues finding a chair (though the ones in the shade were hard to come by). The water was a perfect temperature, and the only thing I would change is the depth of the water between where you get in and where the swim-up bar is located. I’m short (just under 5 ft) and the water was chin level, which made walking over there difficult. I guess I could have swam but that would have been difficult with a drink in my hand!
- The activities: We only participated in beach yoga because we really wanted to just lay around relaxing, but I could tell from the daily activity schedules that there were all sorts of fun things guests could participate in. And the Star Friends were always around trying to get everyone to join in, in that friendly way of theirs
- Italian and Surf & Turf Restaurants – we had great food and great service at both. Yumm!! I especially liked that we were not rushed to finish our meals. We spent well over 2 hours at the Surf & Turf restaurant and our waiter was so friendly and was always there with more wine the second our glasses got low
- No kids! SO amazing. We went to the Paraiso Lindo next door and it was overrun with screaming kids running around and splashing in the pool. It was a relief to return to the tranquility of the Grand afterwards
- Nightly entertainment: we went to 3 shows, 2 which we really enjoyed. The Mexican Folk show and the Musicals show were both great! The Pre-Mexican show was just boring and cheesy however. We wish we’d been there for Rock Night as everyone we talked to said that was the best show
- Lunch Buffet Building – amazing location right on the beach, with the best view! It’s too bad they don’t use this building for all the buffet meals as it is a much more scenic setting than the main buffet

The not so good:
- Some of the décor looks quite dated and gaudy – particularly in the main foyer (front desks and front bar), the breakfast/dinner buffet, and in the main hall running between the entrance and the restaurants. I was a bit surprised to find out that this hotel is only a few years old as it looks like it came out of the 80’s or 90’s in places. The rooms are beautiful though, so only a minor quibble!
- Buffet food was hit or miss. You could always count on delicious cheeses at every meal and lots of fresh veggies, bread and desert, but some of the food was not great. For instance, the fruit spread at breakfast – why no berries, pineapple, watermelon, etc.? I don’t eat red meat so can’t tell you anything about the pork or beef dishes, but some of it didn’t look that appetizing. The lunch selection was particularly poor, with lots of fried foods. We’re in our bathing suits – that’s not what we want to be eating!!
- Gourmet Restaurant: Really the only bad dining experience we had. I found the menu incredibly limited and I really disliked the food I ordered (the sole). It was virtually tasteless. Desert was okay, but the only part of the meal I enjoyed was the French onion soup at the start. The décor is also pretty bad
- The rooms were really hot at night. You'd think the fan would be located over the bed instead of by the balcony (and I say this as someone who NEVER gets hot at night and hates AC or fans while I'm sleeping)

All in all, I would come back to this resort in a heartbeat! There is so much more we’d like to do there (spa, gym, pool-side activities, free non-motorized water sports, other nightly shows, the Japanese restaurant). I completely recommend this place!

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean-front upgrade if you can! We were in building 70 and we loved it.
6 Thank erin464
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear guest

We appreciate the time you invested in writing a review of your stay, and on behalf of IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso we would like to express our gratitude for the kind words you have submitted about us.

We really thank you for your kind feedback as it allows us to continuously improve in our service. We are really sorry for the inconveniences you had at the buffet and meals at the Gourmet restaurant, for sure we will do our best effort working hardly on those aspects and we will be very glad if you give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future!

Best regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,453)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Divine!

We researched our vacation and found such positive comments on this hotel. A week before our trip I called the hotel directly to confirm our request for a room high up with 2 beds. I sent email with our requests for dinner reservations in the a la carte restaurants and received confirmation that same day!

Travelled with a friend April 17 to April 24/12. Quick exit through Cancun Airport and straight on to our Sunquest bus headed for Iberostar Grand Paraiso! We were met with a cool washcloth and a drink. Efficient check-in.

Our room was perfect! Two double beds, big balcony , sitting area , and large bathroom with full size shower and separate jacuzzi tub. We had two counters each with its sink. Lots of towels and lovely amenities including 2 types of soap and bath salts.

Every guest has access to the concierge staff who work long hours and always try to meet your needs effectively, cheerfully and thoughtfully. A butler delivers whatever you may need such as a video or change in pillow. The concierge can make a dinner reservation for you, confirm your flight, and bring sunshine to your day!

The restaurants are all fantastic! The waiters are always eager to make your dining experience a happy time. They are interested in getting to know you and finding out your special requests. You can order espresso, or cafe latte, or cappuccino any time- your waiter will remember! Olivia cooks eggs at breakfast and she knows how each guest wants their egg after the first day! Manuel served us breakfast and welcomed us each morning by name! We had delicious medium rare steak at the Gourmet restaurant and yummy lobster thermidor! We had a delicious pasta at the Italian restaurant. The quality of food was excellent at the buffet also with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.

If you want to explore the resort just stroll around or tell the bellhop and he will organize a golf art to take you! You can visit the shopping centre on site for knick knacks and souvenirs. You will feel very safe in the resort.

The hotel is so clean and beautiful! All day you wilnotice a large staff polishing everything from railings to scrubbing hottubs. The beach is groomed and you can safely walk on the powdery sand. The housekeeping staff clean your room thoroughly. When they turndown at night they always surprise you- might be rose petals on your bed, aromatherapy, fresh flower in the bathroom or chocolate on your pillow. If you need anything extra just tell your concierge and it wil happen!

There are two pools- one is quiet and one is busy with activities. The recreation staff organizers yoga twice a day, spinning twice a day, bike tours of the resort, beach ball volleyball, water games. You can relax and do nothing or have a super time joining in. All of the rec staff know your name after they see you just once! You can also do your own jog or go to the gym to use machines and weights. Joel will help you with magazines, books, sunscreen and towels. He will also know your name and needs after the first day! Look for him at the main pool towel hut. We swam in the ocean several times and it was fantastic! Some days the waves are a bit rough but most of the time you can enjoy dipping in the ocean comfortably. You can walk out as the water is shallow.

Before dinner enjoy some live music in the lobby bar. After dinner make your way to the theatre for 10 pm. Every night there is a show! Sit back and enjoy a nightcap. The shows are fun and quite professional. Lots of singing and dancing with great costumes and sets. And if you still feel frisky go to the bar at midnight for karaoke! Make dinner reservations before you travel by email for a la carte dining.

I tried to borrow a yoga mat to do my own yoga practice but the hotel does not have a lot of mats and is reluctant to lend them out. So if you are a yogi take your own mat along on the trip.

We had the most perfect vacation at this adult resort. All of the staff works with care, smiles, and pride. Everyone knows your name after the first day. The manager, Alfonso Lopez is watching everything all the time and he is highly competent. He runs a 5 star hotel that has earned its rating in every way! I can't wait to return to this paradise!
Bravo to everyone working at this hotel! You are the best!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank fancyandfree
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Guest:

On behalf of our Management and staff we want to thank you for your kind review. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your vacation and it was a pleasure to have you here with us. It is always motivating to receive comments like yours.

We hope that you will not hesitate in returning in the near future and we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Warmest Regards,

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Paraiso is spanish for paradise and this resort is truly a piece of paradise! My husband and I stayed at the IGP from April 8th to the 15th and it was fantastic from start to finish! If you follow tripadvisor like I do, you will notice how most of the reviews for this resort are basically the same...WONDERFUL. I don't know how to express how unbelievable this resort really is or what new information I might add but I will share our experience and hopefully it will be helpful.
This was our first trip to Mexico but second to an Iberostar Grand property. We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana last year and it was fantastic! The Iberostar Grand resorts really know how to deliver the best in an adults only all inclusive vacation! We thought that there was no way to top the Bavaro but we were wrong. This resort really stands out as the top of the line all inclusive resort.
Room: Beautiful! Large, clean, gorgeous bathroom and wonderful balcony. The swing on the balcony is so comfy. I enjoyed a cold drink there everyday after returning from the pool before getting ready for dinner. We had a room overlooking the tranquility pool with a view of the ocean in the distance. We really enjoyed how private and quiet it was and saw no need to spend more for an oceanfront room. Personal preference I guess.
Food: Excellent! We ate at the buffet each morning and the beach buffet for every lunch. Both were great with varied choice. When we asked for a glass of white wine to have with our lunch they delivered a bottle in a silver ice bucket which attached to the edge of the table. Perfect!
Unlike some others, we had absolutely no issues with dinner reservations. Our concierge booked the restaurants we wanted on the nights we wanted and for the times we requested. We did not try the Japanese restaurant but ALL of the others we wonderful. Try something different if you visit the restaurants more than once and you won't be disappointed. If something isn't to your liking the staff will happily make things right for you. One example is that we are red wine lovers and ordered a bottle of red wine each night with dinner. We enjoy our wine at room temp and noticed that sometimes the bottle felt chilled. All we had to do was ask to have it at room temp and within minutes they returned with what we had asked for.
Pool/Grounds: Unbelievable. Such attention paid to every detail. From floor to ceiling this resort exudes class and opulence. All of the pools are wonderful. I was a little unsure of a salt water pool but it is gorgeous and so large.
Staff/Service: This is what truly makes the Iberostar Grand resorts stand out. From the front desk staff to the maids, bartenders, restaurant servers, Star Friends, spa staff and grounds keepers, everyone goes out of there way to make sure you are enjoying your stay but never in an intrusive way. All staff work so hard, so please be pleasant, friendly and curtious and take the time to chat and get to know some of the local staff members.
Finally, all I can say is that if you have booked this resort, RELAX. You have made a perfect choice. It's worth every penny and you will enjoy every minute. We have never stayed at a resort more than once but have already decided to return to this resort next year. I will turn 50 and can't imagine a better place to celebrate!

9 Thank happytraveller7359
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We were happy to know that you had a wonderful vacation and we are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations on your visit with our resort.
It was our pleasure to have served you and we hope to welcome you once again in this Paradise.

Austin, TX
Reviewed 23 April 2012

It's been over 10 years since we've traveled to Mexico. We wanted a nice/safe/all-inclusive trip for 2 adults. This was one of our top vacations! The staff are so incredibly attentive. They go above and beyond to make your stay memorable. We can't wait to return!! The disoteca was FUN, the Theatre was FUN, the pool and swim up bare was amazing!! The grounds are gorgeous, I could go on and on. We had a junior suite and and it was perfect!! We also booked a couples massage and it was wonderful.

Room Tip: WE had a Junior Suite with no ocean view and yet it was very peaceful, the swing on the patio with g...
8 Thank Goodheartedwoman
Dear Guest

We are pleased to hear your excellent comments on your holidays, thank you for giving us the opportunity to dazzle you. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services, facilities and even more we are glad to know that we went over your expectations.

We are looking forward to having you back attending you as stars.

Warmest Regards,

Herriman UT
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The resort is really fantastic. I won't be able to say enough great things about this place or the trip in general. As such, let me just give some helpful hints to other travelers. 1) The Japanese restaurant is the best, the Gourmet restaurant is not that good. Get reservations for Japanese, Steakhouse and Italian right away, they really do fill up fast. 2) There is a "pillow" menu in the binder on the desk. Use it. You may not like the pillows that they give you, but you can get something different. 3) Sunscreen is FREE at this resort, at the towel desk by the pool. If you run out or don't have the right SPF, they have plenty for you. 4) Make sure you try the different lunch buffets, there are two. There is a different selection of food (sometimes) at each buffets. 5) Travel to Playa is not all that convenient with the free shuttles. Plan on spending money to get to Playa or Cancun... but don't let that stop you from getting there, because you will enjoy it. This is my 3rd time to Mexico and my 2nd time to Cancun/Playa. By far, this is the best all inclusive property I've been to. I HIGHLY recommend this place!

Room Tip: The rooms are phenomenal!
8 Thank JohnKnotwell
Dear Guest:

We really appreciate your kind review. We are very glad that your first experience at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso has been perfect and hope that we will be able to welcome you back for many more enjoyable vacations with us.
Thank you once again for your feedback!

Kind regards

Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
15.5 km away
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
0.3 km away
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK