“All girls trip to Riviera Maya -del Mar”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This was the best trip i've ever taken (and i've taken many). The staff there are the best- they made everyone feel special at ALL times. The all you can eat buffet food was "different" and the only thing i missed about home was the restaurant eating. The hotel was clean, the pool, beach, lobby and all other attractions were always really clean. The servers could barely speak english but were still well mannered. The entertaiment staff made the vacation. Those guys remembered you and made you feel at home. It was as though they knew just what I needed. This was a trip with the girlfriends, but I plan on going back with my daughters.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for writing such a nice review.
We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you.
It was also a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your holidays among us. We just look forward to welcoming you back home!

Warmest Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

We spent two week our family vacation at this hotel and were very disappointed. We had previously stayed at the Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. The biggest weakness of this hotel is the service. Kind service with a smile is rare. At the kids club the staff lied to us. We asked if they offered services in the evening, as the Bavaro did, and we were told that they did for an extra charge. After our meeting with the manager (Mr. Bosque), they day before we left, we found out that the staff lied. One evening we made a reservation at the Japanese Tempayaki restaurant and we were seated with large family that had every dietary restriction imaginable, vegetarian, allergies, etc. The staff knew this, yet WE WERE THE ONLY OTHER GUESTS SEATED AT THAT TABLE! As a result the dinner took twice as long and it was not as good. My complaints fell on the deaf ears, no attempts were made to fix or ameliorate the situation. My experience at the Mexican restaurant was even worse. My wife our two small children and myself were seated in the section of the restaurant apparently reserved for rowdy large groups. The first group was loud and constantly cursing. After that one left sexing group of 20+ replaced them. Our food did not arrived after more than an hour wait (I had to get up and leave). The worst part is that they would not even clean our table after we visited the buffet, even though we repeatedly begged the waiters.

The food overall was mediocre (I would call it noveau cafeteria). The entertainment staff were nice but seemed to be constatly scared of their supervisors which negatively affected their performance. I could not get a decent drink at the pool bar. That bar is designed for quantity to quickly intoxicate at the lowest cost possible. To be fair, the staff was pretty honest about it and informed me I had to speak with their manager, if I wanted something better to be brought to the pool bar but no guarantees that the manager would agree. After the Mexican restaurant experience, we met with Mr Bosque. He listened attentively and Proceeded to make excuses. The facilities of this hotel are much nicer than the Bavaro but the Bavaro is a much better hotel overall. Mr. Bosque promised that I returned to the hotel he would ensure that our stay would be impeccable, alas Mr. Bosque is no longer at the hotel and I would not return to this hotel without a direct line to the manager.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Ariel B

Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for choosing our property for your recent stay in Mexico!

I am very concerned to read that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service. We have already shared it with our management and staff in order to improve and enhance quality. Indeed, your well being and your entire satisfaction is our primary goal,

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the very near future and all remain at your disposal.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Wasn't happy at first because my room overlooked bushes. It was 2 nice rooms but I paid $300 for connecting rooms. They charge you for connection. I made my dinner reservations via email ahead of time. Do that if you don't want to eat buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We got back to our room the first afternoon after some time at their beautiful pool. Each room had a fruit basket. Then a knock at the door with roses and a bottle of tequila.. HEY...this is getting better! I got up every morning early and got a nice spot by the waterfall bar. It wasn't that busy. The shops across from the hotel have free tacos and crepes and a beautiful carosel. Osvaldo one of the men with the golf carts was so nice. He picked us up all the time and gave us a lift. The place is big but take the walks...there is more to the beach than meets the eye....take a left turn and walk...you will find hair braiding, atv rentals, bars, volleyball. We did the excaret plus excursion....absolutely a must...we swam in underground caves, ate a fantastic lunch right on the beach...we found a little natural pool and a rope walk....stunning view....the food at the Iberostar restaurants were ok...the hibachi, Italian and seafood were good...the Mexican was horrible I thought....go to the LINDO lobby for breakfast and lunch, right past the kids water park...it's nicer than the one on the beach...if you want change....all in all I would go back,

4  Thank toni l

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your stay in Iberostar Paraiso Maya.

It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay. We are working very hard to be able to offer the best to our guests in order to fulfill their expectations . I am very glad to hear that we succeeded.

Your review will be an inspiration for us to keep on improving and to try to make all our guests as happy as you are.

We look forward to your return visits!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 27 April 2012

We went to Iberostar Paraiso Maya 1st week of April. We've been there 2 times before several years back. Our daughter and us - we all loved the property and decided to return on her last spring break before she will leave for college from California to NY this fall. Weather was great and the property is still in a very good shape. Pools and grounds are just beautiful. There is great sandy beach with a lot of thatched roof shades. beach is swimming, depending on the weather. Rooms and bathrooms are beautiful. Be careful though with water on the tiles - the tile floor is very slippery when wet. Also there is one step down to the living area, make sure that the light on the side of the step is working, especially at night and if you have small kids.

We took my daughter's grandparents with us this time and were staying in building 61. It was strategically good decision, since it's close to the beach, to the pool, and 2 daytime restaurants, and don't forget, the ice cream parlor. There is a lot of walking at this resort, which we didn't mind, but our grandfather was not up to that. So he mostly was going to the nearest to the building restaurant and spending time in the room or by the pool. I haven't seen many elderly people at the resort, probably because of that. We made reservations to different restaurants for every evening for the week we've been staying immediately after our arrival with concierge in our building. Our grandfather was not able to walk long distance, so before going out in the evening we usually called to concierge asking to order a golf cart for our group, and when we come down in 5 min to concierge station, card would arrive shortly and drive us to the restaurant. Majority of the restaurant are located in the lobby areas of hotels, so we catch a cart at the lobby to transport him back to the room after dinner.

I think resort even more then ever is geared for families with children. We didn't use the child care facilities, but since last time we've been there, I can see through the fence, that they even extended the area and built separate pool there and added some beautiful structures and slides. Also there is a lots of activities in the pool, on the beach, before the show, for kids of all ages at all hours of the day.

FOOD: From my previous visits I had an impression that their buffets were magnificent and the restaurants were pretty good too. I am not so sure anymore. I think the lavishness of buffets is gone. Though there is still plenty of food to choose from, but wow factor is gone. Choices are more streamline and I had impression that there were less of them. Also, when dropped in to late night buffer (it opens at 11pm, after the show), I was surprised to see how limited the choices were - just very basic few dishes and some desert. To be fair, we dropped in just to take a look, we were not hungry, after the whole day eating and drinking, probably as many other people - maybe they decreased the amount of food offered based on lack of demand, I don't know.I liked Brazilian restaurant in one of the other sister resorts, I think it was Paraiso Beach, the most. You ask concierge and he/she will do request for you. Japanese restaurant, food was just good, not great. Entertainment factor, probably depends on the personality or experience of the chef who cooks for you. We haven't been as lucky as the neighboring table was, we've seen a lot of tricks from the other chef and a lot of laughter from the table next to us, while our chef prepared the food without much talking, then splashed some oil on the stove for a momentum of fire wave and left. Gourmet restaurant in Maya was better then gourmet restaurant in Lindo. And we never going to Italian when in Mexico. Drinks were sporadically good at Maya lobby bar only. All other places drinks were disappointing, hugely watered down either I tipped or not.

NEGATIVE: We requested room on the top (3d floor) of the building relaying on the fact that there is an elevator in the building. On our 3d day of staying elevator broke and it was out of order till the time we left home. Though it's was kind of inconvenience for all of us to hike the steps after the beach with all towels, floating devices and such, it was major drawback for our grandfather. When we complained, we've been told to use elevator at connecting building 62. But the elevator is located at the other end of the building 62, so if you're going from the beach, pool or the restaurant you have to enter the hallway to building 61, walk through the lengths of the building 61, then the whole lengths of the building 62, then take an elevator up, then go back through all 2 buildings to reach our rooms. It was quite a walk, believe me. It was absolutely unattainable task for our elderly grandfather. So he hiked the stair every time he returned from the pool or the restaurant at his age of 85. I couldn't imagine how could it happens that in 5 star resort elevator was not fixed for at least 5 days (and who knows for how much more longer after we left).

Other thing, if you want to get lounge chairs in a shade, or at specific location or just more then 1 together, you have to wake up really early, go out and reserve with towels, your hat, etc. There is separate chairs available here and there later also, but not 2 or 3 together. Hotel is not enforcing the rule that the chairs could not be reserved for long time, so sometime chairs stay reserved for almost all day without anyone really show up there.

And last dumper on our overall experience was, that when we returned home, we discovered that my daughter's driver license was lost somewhere between placing it into the safe at hotel and our home. I had last recollection of it when I put it in, I don't recall if it was there when I took all valuable from the safe and put them in my purse. So I called hotel just in case to ask if they found her driver license there. At the same time I am absolutely sure, that I forgot my old, but favorite white skirt on the bed, while packing. And we intentionally left behind 2 floating tubes, and a couple of Iberostar T-shirts on the balcony. When I called about driver license, I asked about my skirt at the same time. Lady called to their lost and found services and get back to me saying that according to their records there was nothing found in our room after we left. Come on, if I was not sure where exactly we could loose her driver license, I knew for sure about my skirt on the bed and other items at the balcony - and nothing was recorded as found. I wouldn't probably pay for the shipping of the skirt back home anyway, but it was a huge disappointment that they stated that nothing was found. So, be careful with your packing, you'll never get back anything that left behind.

FINAL NOTE: I would definitely recommend resort for families with children. As for us, we would probably try something different next time.

3  Thank TravelCrazy
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for writing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experiences during your stay at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya.

We apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay.
We would like to inform you that every concerns presented by our guests are very important to us and we regret the incidents that you are mentioning.

We are pleased to know that your overall stay with us was pleasant.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are planning to visit us again. We would be delighted to advise you about the most convenient location and accommodation in order to fulfil your necessities.

Kind regards,

Quality manager

Reviewed 27 April 2012

What made my trip special the most was the star friends.. i went with my uncle and my mother and at first it was a bit lonely. Then, i met the star friends. They were so hilarious and made me feel entertained and much happier on my stay. I am planning to come back this June after school finishes because i miss the beautiful ocean and the star friends. I loved miguel the star friend for "Del Mar" he was so sweet and i think i miss him more than anything else... he's part of the reason i plan to come back. I want to visit him. Please please please have him stay, hes absolutely amazing and a hard worker! I hope I see him on my next vacation to this hotel sometime this year. Please keep him so i can see him and the other amazing star friends team you have currently once again.

3  Thank 131Elizabeth

Dear Guest:

It was our pleasure to have hosted you on your recent Mexican vacation. We appreciate that you took the time to provide a review of your trip. Your kind compliments are encouraging us to keep working hard. And we will be waiting for you in the near future!

Warmest Regards,

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
15.5 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
29.3 km away
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#23 of 177 in Cancun

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK