“Thank you Iberostar! Another GREAT vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Boiling Springs, PA
“Thank you Iberostar! Another GREAT vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I just got back from a week at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. We traveled with friends and I am ready to go back! This is our second trip to this resort and our third vacation to an Iberostar. I now look for the Iberostar name when I search for vacation resorts. We have not been disappointed. First let me commend the resort on their wonderful staff. Everyone goes out of their way to make certain you are enjoying your vacation. The rooms were lovely and cleaned to perfection. I was amazed at the detail that goes into the daily room cleaning. The beds are hard but that is our preference as well, so we were quite comfortable. If you prefer a softer mattress they are happy to provide you with a mattress topper...just ask.
The Restarants: Honestly, I cannot believe there are negative reviews for the specialty restaurants. We did not have a bad meal. Everything was not just good... most, was simply amazing! We all had our favorites .... the seafood and appetizers in Le Meridian were fabulous;
The steakhouse satisfied our steak eaters and the not-so-steak eaters in our group. They also had a mariachi band strolling around. We enjoyed that immensely. The Japanese Restaurant was so much fun and had wonderfully fresh vegetables. And the Mexican restaurant had great appetizers that are toned down just a tad to meet a more universal clientele. In all the restaurants the sommelier, Miguel, was there with a smile to recommend a specialty wine or one that may be new to you, by the glass (no up charge). He was not only knowledgable, he remembered the guests, worked all the restaurants and introduced us to some wonderful wines.
The lobby Bar: We visited the lobby bar before dinner and after. The bartenders are top-notch, pleasant and they remembered us as well. Thank you too to Cristhel. She was delightful. She worked the room flowing from Spanish, to English to French. She is one smart young lady! Our last night she set up special drinks for us to remember Mexico. We will not forget our visit or Cristhel. I have no doubt that on our next visit she will be doing something in a more managerial role.
The Beach Bar: Everything you need and more. The bartenders make this a fun experience. It is a million degrees on the beach and the bartenders never fail to smile, offer you one of their many "special" drinks and keep you smiling as well. I would love to hear a little mexican music on the beach and througout the resort. Music sets the mood. I missed that in many of the areas.
I truly appreciated the friendliness of all the resort representatives. If anyone was having a bad day, a guest would never know it.
Our only negative: The Apple resort representatives at the resort were not very helpful. We booked two excursions with them (not inexpensive either). One was a fishing trip where my husband and a friend chartered a boat for the day. The transportation was horrible. They crammed 14 men and 1 woman into a small transport van. They waited over half an hour for a guest at another resort. The driver stopped for gas and stopped for a drink for himself! Needless to say, not one person offered him a tip. The fishing was a joke. After the guys each caught a fish the captain was ready to call it a day! There was a reason that the two of them chartered a boat for themselves. They wanted to fish! The other excursion was a snorkeling one which was not at all as the representative described. Very disappointing. Also, their limited hours are posted but they are rarely there at those times. Our apple transportation to and from the resort was all very good.
We travel to the caribbean at least once a year and always stay in very nice hotels or resorts. Our standards are not low and we were not disappointed. If you read a bad review, remember, there are some people that you simply cannot please. Then go and decide for yourself. I would love to go to Antigua next. I'll have to see if there is an Iberostar there.

Room Tip: Honestly there is not a bad room. Location is baste on taste. It is about 1/4 mile from beach to l...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank crin09
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico. at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear guest,

On behalf of the Management and Staff we would like to thank you for sharing your heart-warming and detailed review with other travelers on Trip Advisor. Your words have been inspiring and motivate us to keep working hard to exceed our guests expectations.

We would be glad to welcome you back home: Iberostar Paraiso Maya and create new memores.

Best Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (874)
  • Polish first
kent UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Returned for our 2nd stay (also 2 at Lindo) for 14 nights at this wonderful hotel and I'm pleased to say had a lovely time.
ROOMS
Asked for a high floor room over looking pool, this is what we got in block 61, room large, clean and comfortable, air con easy to control, fridge always stocked with variety of soft drinks and beer, clean towels twice a day, with chocolates and towel art waiting for us.
SERVICE
This is what I feel makes this hotel stand out, from the polite efficiency of the block concierge, who books our restaurant bookings had our DVD mended within an hour, to the waiters who are always polite and the excellent bar staff that never let your glass get empty.
FOOD/DRINK
Always important and especially when on a 14 night stay. All I can say is really good, the breakfast in the mediterranean rest. is really pleasant way to start the day, lunch at the pool buffet is fine, I did miss the fresh kebab style meat from previous years, this appears to have been replaced by more choices for the south American visitors, but the two days of fresh sushi helped.
The bar staff at the Maya bar are the best and Joseph remembered us and made us feel special.
We take full advantage of the al a carte dining, This makes my holiday, steak, gourmet and Cajun my favourites.

There a a few things that could be better, one in the plastic sun lounges and flat mattress could be updated and I was disappointed my the shows we only watch about 4/5 during our stay but there are more audience participation ones rather than shows. Didn't have boogie nights for the fortnight which was disappointing.

Now just an extra comment, we had planned to treat ourselves to upgrade for the last 4 nights to the grand and were offered a good price but after having a tour round we decided against it. It's a nice hotel has a completely different feel to the rest of the resort. The rooms are a lot smaller and there is only one bar for the evening and 4 al a carte, all the corridors are indoors and although I'm sure it is a very pleasant hotel that offers excellent service and relaxation, it isn't what we look for in a 2 weeks sun holiday, but I understand for those that live nearer it would have a good 4/5 night break.

We have said that we will try somewhere new next year but this is because we have been for 4 years but I would always recommend this hotel and I'm sure we will return in the future.

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Michelleb7
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our sincere tgratitude for your kind review. It is nice to hear that our rooms, food and staff made your vacation so memorable for your second visit.

It would be our greatest pleasure to welcome you again and help in creating new memories.

With Warm Regards,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

My wife and I visited the Paraiso Maya for a week in early Feb. We are well travelled internationally but this was our first experience with an all-inclusive resort. Overall, we had a great time.

While more expensive than the Lindo, Del Mar and Paraiso Beach, we felt it was the worth the extra cash because of private pools offered to guests of the Paraiso Maya. Nearly every time we visited the pool we were the only ones there. It was like having your own private pool.

Food - The food was good not spectacular. It depended on when, where and what you are eating. The restaurants strive to please an international crowd as well as all-ages. We appreciated the diversity of the specialty restaurants. Here is how we ranked the restaurants we ate for dinner.

1. Steakhouse – Very good appetizer selection. Enjoyed the several meat options. Found this restaurant was the most popular for large groups which made the restaurant livelier.
2. Seafood- Best appetizer buffet selection of all the restaurants. Plenty of seafood choices. You won’t leave this restaurant without getting your fill of crab, lobster, shrimp, etc. My wife had the lobster and steak dish was very tasty. The scallop entrée was okay but not memorable.
3. Mexican- Appetizer selections was very good. Food was tasty but not spicy for what type of Mexican dish we ordered.
4. Japanese – Hibachi is entertaining but chef was not as skilled as his counterparts at an American Benihanas. Meat and vegetables were very fresh.
5. French – Great asparagus soup, but overcooked fish and lobster entrees. Was by far a distant fifth.

As for lunch we often snacked on guacamole and pico de gallo on the beach. We visited the El Fogan, the buffet restaurant in the Lindo resort, a couple of times. It has a great location. Close to the beach and the main pool. It had a good selection. We really enjoyed the cold fruit soup.

We wished we had more of our lunches at the taco shop located in the shopping center. It is a bit of a walk from the beach and the pools but really worth it. The tacos are made to order and the best opportunity to get spicy food at the resort.

Reservations-Previous folks have commented on the reservations. It was bit usual to make reservations for the whole week, but we would recommend it as not all restaurants are open every night. We were very flexible in our eating schedule so having a late or early reservation was not a problem for us.

Drinks- I agree with many previous commenters regarding the drinks. They tended to be a little weak, particularly on the beach. That being said, it is probably for the best that you stay hydrated when out in the sun. The Maya has an impressive lobby bar. Suggestion: Stop at the bar before you go to your dinner at one of the a la carte restaurants.

Location
The resort is spread out but the beach is substantial and the five Iberostar resorts starch a good distance down the beach. We enjoyed walking through the resort and every felt the need to ride the golf carts.

Sleep Quality
The beds are hard by American tastes but we slept on worse in other parts of the world.

Rooms
Spacious rooms with plenty of storage. The décor is nice. The balcony has a nice hammock.

Cleanliness
The resort is immaculate. Iberostar has a large team constantly manicuring the grounds. The week we were there the weather was windy and the seas was rough. The ground crew fought the never-ending battle in removing seaweed washed up on the beach. I credit them for doing a great job cleaning the beach.

Service was amazing. The staff goes to great lengths to make your stay enjoyable. They effortlessly switch between multiple languages depending on where you are from.

I never felt the expectation that I have tip waiters, bartenders, or other staff. I did though when I felt the staff was particularly attentive.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 61. Close to the beach and the private pools. Highly recommended!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GlobeTrekker186
Dear Guest,

I am very happy to note that you enjoyed your stay at Iberostar Paraiso Maya Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with the rest of the team who were very proud to hear your compliments. Furthermore, we all took your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to improve our services.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the future. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance when you plan your next stay.

Warmest regards,

boca raton, fl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

Loved the beach--it's so wide with tons of chairs, soft white sand and clear water. So many activities right behind the hotel: catamaran, snorkeling, jetskiing, banana boat and a volleyball court. Ladies who braid kids' hair and massages are offered as well. There's a burger shack on the beach with decent, freshly grilled burgers, guacamole. The bar's right there too.
Swam in the gigantic, warm pool where you hear fun music all day. Lots of star friends activity. My daughter had fun in the wave pool. The shopping area is across the street from the Maya and has many cute souvenir-type shops and a good taco stand and ice cream shop, along with a small carousel. This was a nice place to go after dinner. Distance to 5th Ave in Playa is about 10 min drive and an easy cab ride.
The not so good:
The food was as awful as everyone says. I couldn't imagine a buffet where nothing was appealing, but that was the case. Food looked undercooked or was sitting in grease. Restaurants were awful.
Beds are super hard.
The pool area was jam packed with chairs, people, puddles everywhere. Like being at a Disney water park.
The lazy river doesn't move. The wave pool will entertain young kids for about 20 minutes.
You only get one towel with your towel card, and that's by the pool...a hike from the beach.
The rooms are dark with views of a jungle of mangled trees, so close you could almost touch them. The bathrooms are outdated.

We didn't mind most of the negatives, and the beach really was super. The inedible food and rock-hard, firm beds are a deal breaker--would definitely keep us from coming back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank z2u
Dear Guest:

Fist of all I would like to thank you so much for writing such a nice review about your stay at the Iberostar Anthelia, I am sure that it will help future guests to make their decision easier.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed a pleasant holiday among us and enjoy the hotel surroundings, the beach and the different activities we propose.

Furthermore, we are really concerned about your disapointting experience in our restaurants and would like to let you know that we will review our standards with our culinary team for further improvement on this matter.

We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal; your opinion is essential to the continuous improvement and maintenance of the quality of our service.

We trust that you will allow us another opportunity to show you our improvement on your next stay with us.

Best Regards,

Reston, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed here in February as part of a family of 5 celebrating a 50th anniversary. The bottom line is that if you want a vacation that is stress-free in every way especially if you have kids, this is the one. We agonized for weeks about this vs. other properties and have no regrets. Yes, there is a lot of walking, and yes, ocean view rooms do not exist, but with all the amenities and activities within the AI package, you won't care about the views and you'll need the walking to burn off the buffet food. The food is above average and you have to choose carefully to avoid eating the same chicken 10 different ways - the fruit is great, though. Here's a list of my pros and cons:
Pros:
- Lots of food places and everywhere you'd need them (pool, beach, lobby, etc.)
- Lots of clean, convenient bathrooms (if you have kids, you know how important that is)
- Awesome beach (activities for all, very clean, plenty of chairs/umbrellas, AI bar service, food, showers that aren't freezing cold)
- Fantastic staff that's always polite and accommodating even to disrespectful guests
- Beautiful rooms, buildings, and grounds...immaculate and well designed
- Plenty of towels
- Extremely family friendly (including polite guests)
- Very accommodating with special occasions (they did a rose petal bubble bath and bed display)
- Plenty of safe drinkingwater (in room, at beach, at pool)
- Very interesting pools that make you forget the beach (great for days with big waves)
- Awesome spa with many services included (sauna, hot tub, etc.)

Cons:
- Mosquitoes in the evening (not the hotel's fault, though)
- No ocean views (but the beach is beautiful and essentially private)
- Lots of walking (but you can arrange for golf cart rides to distant buildings)
- Too easy to get lost (they could use better signage and maps)
- A few maintenance issues but nothing to spoil a vacation

Tips:
- Don't feel pressured into making dinner reservations for each night because the buffet at the walk-in restaurant is fine and offers more selection (we liked the Italian place the most)
- The breakfast at the lobby restaurant is best and open only to Maya guests
- Get fresh towels the night before and send someone around 7am to the beach to reserve the prime chairs with those towels
- Budget some time in your schedule for the spa and shopping (it's far)
- Tip the bar tenders and then ask for stronger drinks with better liquor if you want it
- Use bug spray if you're going to be out at sunset/sunrise
- The hotel shuttle to Playa Del Carmen is $5 one-way per person and well worth it
- Plan to spend some time the first day memorizing the property map and walking around
- There are limited food options between 4:30 and 6:00pm so plan accordingly.

- Lastly, there is a Starbucks in town if you need a fix!

Room Tip: Ask for a building number close to what you want the most (pool vs. lobby vs. beach). Rooms near...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Achilles07
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Iberostar Paraiso Maya. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we played a part for this special anniversary.

Furthermore, it is an honor that you had a nice time with employees, we will especially compliment them for all their effort. Our team is constantly working to provide the best possible experience to our guests.

Please be assured that we have taken note of all your comments and thank you for your tips. I can assure you that we will keep working and do our best to improve your next stay with us.

We hope you will consider us when planning your next vacation.

Please feel free to contact us for any assistance you may need.

Yours sincerely,

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#40 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,195 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK