Our trip was from August 16-23rd, 2012. We are from California and are in our early 30’s we choose Catalonia base on the price but predominately the reviews so I hope I can help you with your vacations as well …. So now that we are back from Catalonia La Romania these are my findings, pro, cons, etc. oh by the way Catalonia La Romana is the same as Catalonia Gran Dominicus
We arrived in Santo Domingo at 10pm and instead of rental a car like we thought we were going to do we ended up taking a taxi which was a much better idea considering it is a different country, it was dark and the road was under construction. Had we rent a car who knows where we would’ve ended up and how long it would’ve taken us to get to our resort…. Thankfully there was plentiful of taxis outside the airport. LOL Anyhow, we bargain our price down from $120 to $90 for 4 people from Santo Domingo to Catalonia. Don’t be embarrass or shy to bargain!
It took us about 2 hours from Airport to our resort and once arrival they automatically upgraded us to Privileged which was definitely awesome but wait until you hear the rest…..
My friend and her husband were also upgraded to privileged as well but when they got to their room, it smelled like mildew, and had to change rooms the next day. My privileged room was fine (Villa Saona 2241).
We enjoyed our first meal deal which was the pizza but couple days after that we realize that food was not good at all. Perhaps we’re not use to eating their food and it wasn’t our taste. We kept an open mind with trying all the food but nothing was appetizing besides pizza and breakfast but soon we just got sick of that too. Keep an open mind and try their food. Who knows you might like it.
The pool was so busy on the weekends (Saturday – Sunday) with locals. They literally ran out of towels for us. One of my friends was so upset and had to complain in the privileged concierge and they told my friend to go to the house keeper! Hello! We a lot of money for this resort, least they can do it get it us towels. So they finally got us towels only after my friend yelled at them.
Resort itself was very nice. Most of the staff was very sweet and helpful. Pool was pretty big only when the locals aren’t around. The beach was beautiful! There is a live show performed every night at 9:45pm by the staff which was awesome!! Bachata was their main dance and it was lovely! Giovanni was one of the dancers whom was very nice and sweet. Very pretty as well. Love her company! Dominican has the best coffee way better than starbucks or any other coffee I've had in California. Did i mention the beat was absolutely gorgeous!
Not enough towels and food. Privilege didn’t come with slippers. In order to get slippers we have to pay for our upgrade. Since it was a free upgrade we didn’t get any slippers. Not everyone speaks English so learn Spanish before you go.
Excursions: Sandy (Usher look alike) was the guys who help us with our excursions. We booked our Zip lining (Bavaro Zip lines) and party boat to Isla Saona which was very fun!!! Definitely recommend this.
Sorry for writing a story but I hope this helps you decide what resort to choose. Although the food was tasteful I still love and enjoyed it at Catalonia! I left DR learning how to Bachata, Salsa, dance to Michel telo song (Portuguese song) and knowing that I had a blast in Catalonia!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus is an all-inclusive resort located on the south-east coast of the Dominican Republic and overlooks the white sandy beach of Bayahibe; 25 km. from the famous Caribbean art centre Altos de Chavon and 4.5 km. from the tiny fishing of Bayahibe, close to the Natural Park of the East, home of the biggest remains from the Island's first inhabitants, the Taino Indians; only 30 minutes by boat from Saona and Catalina both wonderful virgin islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Catalonia Gran Dominicus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus Hotel Bayahibe
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus La Romana
- Gran Dominicus