Nice all inclusive with a variety of restaurants so you have options other than just the buffet. Breakfast buffet is large and has lots of variety. Highly recommend the beach side crepe shack for a great snack at lunch - crepes made fresh when you order. Coco loco drinks are yummy.
Beach is very clean, plenty of lounge chairs with shade - no towel games needed here, especially in the low season.
Tip: this is an all inclusive, so tipping is not required but if you want extra water in your room refrigerator or specific types of soda, put a note inside the frig (make sure note is in spanish) with a couple of dollars for the maid. We did this and got a fully stocked frig every day with what we wanted.
Be aware that there is very little to do outside of the resort. There is the town of Bayahibe near by but it only has a few shops. Transport back to Santo Domingo to see the capital is costly (up to $35 per person) and it is a 2-2.5 hour trip one way due to the traffic and road conditions. The onsite entertainment team puts on a show every night that is fun. There are also various contests each day such as bingo or bocce tournaments.
If you want lots of English speakers, English TV and fast nightlife, pick a different resort. If you want to relax on a beautiful beach or by a great pool with decent food and drinks, this resort is a good value.
Note this resort caters to Europeans, so many of the staff don't speak English or have very limited English. Exception to this is the entertainment team and reception. A little spanish will go a long way for English speakers.
We did take an excursion to Saona Island. The speed boat was not fun for me as it seemed a bit unsafe although we did all get life jackets. The island is nice but there is no snorkeling since there are no fish. The beach lunch was grilled fish and chicken - ok but nothing special. They don't provide bottled water but rather a large container that they say is filled with clean water - recommend avoid the water unless you know where it came from. The best part of the excursion was the 2 hour catamaran sail back to Bayahibe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus is an all-inclusive resort located on the south-east coast of the Dominican Republic and overlooks the white sandy beach of Bayahibe; 25 km. from the famous Caribbean art centre Altos de Chavon and 4.5 km. from the tiny fishing of Bayahibe, close to the Natural Park of the East, home of the biggest remains from the Island's first inhabitants, the Taino Indians; only 30 minutes by boat from Saona and Catalina both wonderful virgin islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Catalonia Gran Dominicus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus Hotel Bayahibe
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus La Romana
- Gran Dominicus