7,100 results
All reviews privilege room main bar animation team privileged section privileged guests rodeo steak house la romana concierge office beautiful beach dominican republic italian restaurant santo domingo language barrier other resorts honeymoon suite palm trees tennis courts
Reviewed 20 February 2012

When we got off the bus in front of the hotel it was raining so i wanted to pull our luggage under the hotel canopy the guy that was at the reception told me i had to leave the luggage outside in the rain while my wife was checking in ,so i insisted and then he hit his hand with his fist to intimidate me so i had no choice but to leave the luggage there until we had our bracelet bad bad bad to me you dont leave luggage in the rain,beside that food was ok room is good house lady do a good joband the garden are really beautiful

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jfbouch
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed at the Catalonia Gran Dominicus from Jan. 20, 2012 - Feb. 6, 2012. It was a nice place, small resort so easy to get around.
Room: We upgraded our room to the confort upgrade ($5 US per person per day), and it was worth it. The room was nice and clean and updated. Our room did not appear to need any upgrades. The safe is included with the room fees, so that was a nice bonus and we never had any issue with water pressure or hot water, plenty of both. Free wifi was also a nice extra.
Food: There was food available all the time. The food was typical resort buffet food, nothing spectacular, my only complaint is that the food was often not warm enough. There was a decent selction, but again, nothing too exciting. The main buffet always had 2 stations going with fresh food being cooked, so that was a nice option. I recommend the breakfast omlette station! The snack bar on the beach was also nice, hot dogs and other snacks, beer and pop available all the time. I tried the crepe snack bar twice, it was OK, not really to my taste. My favorite was the pizza buffet at lunch, lots of fresh pizza and pasta there. There are 3 a la cartes, we tried the Mexican, and did not like it at all. We also went to the Steak house, it was good.
Staff: The staff was fantastic. Their ability to speak so many languages was amazing. We had no complaints, but wanted extra towels and pilows which we received immediately. In the restaurants, they were very quick to clear your plates and bring you drinks if you wanted any. The room was always cleaned well, however the time of day they cleaned was not consistent, sometimes it was very late afternoon before it was cleaned. Not really a big deal for us. The animation staff worked hard to keep everyone amused with dance lessons, excercise classes, games and shows. The bar staff was good, we never waited to get a drink.
Grounds: The beach was not very flat, but there were lots of chairs available. When going in the water, it was really nice once you got past the rocks. We were never bothered on the beach by someone trying to sell us something, so that was nice. We played pool and tried the archery. If you wanted to shop, just a bit of a walk down the beach there were vendors. Shopping with them was really amusing, bargain with them, even if they tell you that they are cheapy-cheapy, you can still get a better price. There is also a gift shop accross the street with [pretty decent prices and a huge selection of items. The pool was nice too.
All in all, we had a nice time, it was a decent resort. We would probably not go back again but not because of the resort itself, but there were not many English-speaking guests, so we felt a bit secluded by the end of the trip.

Room Tip: Pay the $5 per person/night comfort room upgrade.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Erin B
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Our experience at this hotel was amazing!! The food, entertainment, accomodation and beach were fantastic. We found that there is ample sunny and shady areas so you don't have to search hard to find a nice spot to perch yourself for the day. We liked the area directly behind the life guard stand.

There are 2 beaches, the first is directly in front of the hotel, this one is rocky on the right side (looking out to sea) and less so on the left, however there is a beach on the other side of GriGri divers which is not rocky at all. I would suggest you bring water shoes if you are going to swim on the rocky side. I did not find the slant of the beach or the rocks a problem because I swam where there were no rocks.

The man made reef consists of large "pot-like" structures and it was fun to snorkle through them. I would definately bring a mask, snorkle and fins. Beware of the rope which cordons off the swimming area. The life guard told us there is an organism which attaches itself to the rope and if you come in contact with the rope it will sting you like fire coral or a jelly fish. I know this because my wife was stung and it hurt like hell. I would bring medication which counteracts these types of stings. A google search may suggest a spray or a tropical cream to ease these encounters.

We found the staff friendly and helpfull if you could speak Spanish, Italian or French.(To management, Alison was friendly, charming and very good at her job, I'd give her a raise !!!!) They put a lot of effort into the "Tribute to Michael Jackson" and the comedy show was entertaining as well. The entertainment staff worked really hard to try hard to include everybody in their activities.

The bedroom was clean and I found the bed comfortable. The only thing I found strange was that they only provided one key to the room, if you lost it, it was apparently $30 to replace.

The gardens are specular and very well maintained. The WiFi is handy for those who feel it necessary to stay in contact with the outside world while on vacation.

GriGri divers are proffessionally run and Margarita is a sweetheart. I found diving on the Caribean side of DR much more enjoyable than the Alantic side because the water is calmer and the visiblity was clearer. The Wall at Catalina Island is beatuiful and well worth it. The next time I am there I will do the St. George's wreck.

I found this resort clean, well organised and well maintained. I would definately return next year!

Room Tip: The Priveleged rooms are very close to the main entertainment area so it is very noisy at night if you want to sleep. Choose a villa behind the Priveleged section so that you are close the action ie the bar, restuarants beach and pools but not to close to be disturbed by the nightly activity.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Richard W
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Really enjoyed the stay. traveled for two weeks with 18 months little boy in April 2010. The weather was nice and warm. The resort is friendly with nice animation. Rooms are really nice. The food is excellent with a lot of variety and fresh juices. The beach is beautiful. Guests are from all over. The pool is very nice with an area for children.
We had an excellent time and will return. My boy really enjoyed it and the kid's club is real fun.
As a single mother with little boy I had easy life. All is easily accessible and everybody kind and helpful. Babysitting provided through the resort.
It was nice to have shops selling many beach toys at a good price.
Sunbeds can be hard to find and all reserved by the sea.But it was not a great issue for us.
Expensive beautiful pictures from the photographers of the hotel turning around. I would definetely recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank CLSLV
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Spend two weeks at this hotel with two young kids and everything went well. As many others will say major renovation in the bathroom is needed but room was always very clean and beds are confortable so giving the fact that this is a not a new hotel ...was really OK! Kids Club is AMAZING even if your kids are only speaking Italien, french, english or spanish Really WOW! Staff are very helpfull and most of them are really nice. we were entertained in spanish, english, french and italian. the show is done by the staff who does their best from 9 o'clock in the morning to 2 at night!!! Now the bad side, Food was really low average and the bar staff very young so... Beach is a good one for those who loved shade! but once you are inform of that and bring two or three good bottle of wine ...you ve good vacation !!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family