“Wonderful View!”

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“Wonderful View!”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I like the colonial style of the buildings, it makes you feel like you're in a quiet village, perfect for rest. Te view is awesome! There's a good feeling in the air. The waterslide is a blast! I was scared at first because of the height, but is safe and definitely a must-do of the hotel. I enjoyed it a lot!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank miasimo
Carmen C, General Manager at Weare Cadaques Bayahibe Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to tell us how much you enjoied Cadaques. We are always listening to our guest and your comments very well received. Thank you for being our guest.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Czech first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I am not sure what is going on with this place, my opinion is that they need to replace the entire front desk staff.
Logistics: There isn't much information on how to actually get to the resort on your own. They offer a transfer from the Santo Domingo airport, but it seemed a bit expensive. My husband speaks Spanish and has worked all over the island of Puerto Rico, so we figured we would save some money and rent a car and drive. There are no directions on the website that would help, so we printed out some directions from the internet. Granted, we drove to the resort at night, but for the first 30 miles or so, there are no street lights, and people are jutting out of nowhere across these dark roads. It is amazing we did not hit anyone. The rest of the way is also with no street lights, but at least you don't have too many people jutting across the highway. All you have to do is stay on Highway 3 until you get to La Romana, but in La Romana, there are no great street signs and the directions from the internet really break down. We ended up stopping and asking directions 3 times, before we were able to find the unmarked road that lead to the resort. It would be nice if Cadaques Caribe would put up some signs in La Romana so you can find your way easier. We ended up saving about $100 by renting a car. If you decide to come here, I would probably either pay the 135 (each way) for the hotel transfer, or fly into La Romana. The drive is just too stressful, and if you can't speak Spanish, you will have a hard time stopping and asking for directions.
Cadaques Caribe seems to be a mixed property of condos and the hotel. There are several 3 or 4 story buildings in the resort, and the little cobblestone walkways really give it the feel of a little village. From what we could tell the hotel portion of the place is the building closest to the entrance, parking lot and reception and the farthermost from the beach, so don't count on ocean views from your room unless you are renting/buying a condo. The beach and restaurant is about at 3 or 4 minute walk from the hotel building. They do offer golf cart rides if you don't want to walk it.
They advertise 2 restaurants. The restaurants are connected and both on the beach. I am pretty sure you can sit in either and order either a pizza or off the menu. They also advertise a wine bar, which was not open when we were there. There is a third place on the property that is like a sidewalk café. It is cute, but seems to be the only place you can’t charge stuff to your room.
We booked a room that included a breakfast, they also have an all inclusive option, but I really think that it isn’t worth it. The food is not that expensive on the resort, and I don’t think the alcohol is included in the all inclusive package. We figured our drinks to be about 8 or 9 dollars apiece.
The Bad: The reception is horrific. It is like they have no idea what is going on. We arrived late, after a very stressful drive (which included a flat tire) and although we were the only people in the lobby, the check in took forever. We were starving and were told the restaurant closed at 11:00, it was 10:00 PM. We were shown to our room, which was on the first floor, and had a small window that faced the parking lot. On the website, they say each room has a patio or balcony. This is not true. The hotel building has a courtyard in the middle. All the doors to all the rooms face this open air courtyard, I guess they consider this a "patio." But there are several rooms that have no outdoor space, except the space just outside the entrance door. We immediately called and asked if we could be switched to a room with a balcony. The guy said he would move us. He told us to wait in the room and he would send someone to get our bags. We waited and waited and no one came. Finally we walked back to reception with all of our stuff. The guy seemed completely un-busy and when he saw us, it was like he remembered he was supposed to be getting us another room. We finally asked if we could leave our bags and go to get food while they figure out the room stuff. It was now 10:45. The restaurant people were not the happiest to see us, but were great; I will review them under "the good."
When we were done with dinner, we were finally shown to our bedroom, which was directly above the one we had before, but at least now we had a balcony facing the parking lot. My husband made one last call to the reception that evening to see if we could get the Wi-Fi password, and was told that he would have to wait until morning because the front desk guy didn't know it. The next day, my husband spent about 2 hours trying to get access to the Wi-Fi (this may not be an issue for many, but he was trying to dial in on some conference calls using the internet). It was so frustrating because he would call the front desk, they would say they would get back to him, but never call back. Finally, I think he had to go back down to reception so they had to deal with him face to face. Turns out you have to buy more than one Wi-Fi account if you want to use more than one device at a time. The cost for us was 15$ for 3 days per Wi-Fi account. If you disconnect from the Wi-Fi, wait 20 minutes and then use another device with the Wi-Fi account that will work too.
When we checked in, we were not given any information about the breakfast that was included in our room. The next day when we called to inquire about it, (how it works, the location and how late it was served) someone at reception told us it was down at the restaurant and that it was served all day. She didn’t tell us which restaurant or how we notify the restaurant staff that it is included by our rate. At this point, we were less than 12 hours into our stay and so tired of dealing with reception, we just skipped breakfast because it seemed like it would be a fight to get it.
The last day, we finally were up to dealing with them again on the breakfast issue. The reception guy couldn’t believe that we had not been eating breakfast, so he gave us slips of paper that would get us breakfast and lunch. I thought that was a nice.
The towel hut, this was one of the strangest experiences at the resort. You are given a little plastic card to trade in for a towel; as far as I could see there was only one towel hut. The place is huge, so it would be nice if there were other places you could get a towel. Anyway, I go up to the hut where I find about 4 guys laying down inside of the hut. Then a woman pokes her head out from under the counter and tells me to come back later. There was several times that the towel people were just not there. One time, the restaurant guys had to go find a towel for us.
The gym: it says “state of the art” fitness center on the website, the actual equipment isn’t bad, but there is this horrible smell in the room, there was water, but no cups, and no towels.
The good: The restaurant and bar crew really know what they are doing. They were the only people in the resort who were helpful and nice. Thank you to Felix, Nilson and Raul for all the service and the warm welcome you extended to us. There was one more gentleman in the restaurant that was also amazing, I am so sorry I didn’t get his name, but he was so kind and attentive and greeted us with a fist bump each time he saw us. Hopefully one day you can train the rest of the staff on how to be warm and welcoming. These guys need to be in charge. They quickly learned our names and would greet us with a huge smile and by name each time they saw us.
My husband said that once he did get in touch with the tech guy, the tech guy was helpful and knowledgeable.
The beach was beautiful, and the pier was especially nice. The property is really beautiful… the place has so much potential if they could just get the service end of things straightened out. There is this really beautiful pool that winds through the center of the property. That was also lovely. Even the water park, we nice and we actually enjoyed playing on the water slides.
There is music playing throughout the property. It is a nice touch. Especially on the beach where the speakers are better and you can really enjoy the music.
The pizza IS great; it is the best thing that they serve along with the mozzarella sticks. The wine was good.
The rooms are super clean. The cleaning staff really takes pride in what they do, they sprinkle little flowers on your towels… it is truly a nice touch. The rooms were nicely air-conditioned, and the bedding and towels in the room were luxurious.
All in all, it was just too much work to relax. It is a shame, because the cleaning staff and the restaurant and bar crew are top notch, but are just over-shadowed by the rest of the experience which I could liken to running into one brick wall after another.

6 Thank MHG77
Carmen C, General Manager at Weare Cadaques Bayahibe Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your experience in Cadaques. I do apologize for your chek in and room change, it is an inconvience..... I am glad that you had a good experince with Felix and Nelson and Raul at the restaurant, that is always good to hear, and we are doing service seminars to all employees to address the service in general. I agree the pools and the beach are great, and the waterpark and Pier as well....Happy you enjoied that as well.The housaekeeper was very happy when I told her that your room was super clean, so please give us an oportunity in the future, and you will be cheked in to the correct room with out any incidents. Sorry and Thank you again for your feedback.
Saint Pierre, France
Reviewed 25 February 2012

First of all, I chose this resort after reading reviews praising it as the best place in the area, blablabla...
Do not be misled: it sure has a WONDERFUL property, and the beach and pier at the end of it are GORGEOUS!!!!!!! This is a very calm place, with few people around... and someone who wants to relax should be able to find what he/she is looking for here.
But I would have loved these reviews to tackle the unskilled staff's problem too.

It all began at CHECK-IN where I was given everything I hadn't booked: a small, damp room, with no king bed, a marvellous view on the parking lot (-__-) and with absolutely nothing INCLUDED...
Having noticed that this was undoubtedly a mistake, I went back immediately to the reception desk, and showed them the details of the all-inclusive package I had booked. I was told to come back the day after (as it was quite late already) to get my problem fixed.

The guy at the reception had NO IDEA of what I should get with this package I had bought (even if everything was written down on my confirmation email handed to him). After going back to his desk NO LESS than 3 times (because our due room was not ready for example), and claiming one by one the items included in the package (because he persisted in saying that normally this or that was not included in our package, whereas it actually was), we finally got the king-bed room and EVERYTHING we had paid for (i.e. the room that was actually advertised on the website)... We were also given VOUCHERS for the meals, which represented about 28 pieces of paper (for the whole stay) we had to handle to the waiters each time we would go have lunch or dinner (very practical indeed). I had to go back one last time to remind him that we didn't have the welcome drinks specified in the package: he replied that we would get them on the day of our departure... (-__- ... "really??") Of course, neither him nor the drinks were waiting for us on check-out.

Meals were very good, buffet style... until the property had less people, and it became "a la carte" for a few days: from that moment on, our meal times took FOREVER, between the moment the order was taken and the moment the dishes were served, we sometimes spent 2 hours at the restaurant, from breakfast to lunch. Even though the restaurant staff was nice: they were nonchalant and not very attentive to their customers' needs (except on our last day... because the director of the property was around).

At check-out, the nightmare began again as another reception guy wanted us to pay for meals we had and once again, I had to show him the confirmation email, and the details of the package to prove that we rightfully ate at their restaurant and that it was all included (he wanted to see the vouchers etc...). Fortunately the staff manager was around and she fixed this "other" problem.

All in all, we liked the property and its facilities (location, pier, white sand beaches, restaurant overlooking the ocean and the pool).
But we lament the fact that the staff was SO unprofessional: on day one, we were tied to a bracelet by the guy at reception... he did NOT tell us anything about it (what it meant??) until we asked, we were given NO information about the surroundings... like for example that the small village of Bayahibe could easily be reached with a taxi within a few minutes...
NO information about meal times, NOTHING... we had to ask for literally everything.
We don't understand why one has to go back to a front desk several times in a row before seeing his reservation honored either...

One of the hotel's slogans is "Be at peace": the place has the potential to make this come true, but PLEASE, its staff needs some more training.
They will be the only reason why I will definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Tip for people still going:
bring your confirmation email with you, and claim each and every item of the package you reserved until they give it to you ( it may eat up a lot of your precious vacation time, but it's worth it).

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor
10 Thank SeaBASS974
Jpack, General Manager at Weare Cadaques Bayahibe Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Ronire,
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback on your most recent stay. I do need to apologize for your experience with us in Cadaques.
I have met with the employees involved at the front desk and the restaurant and rest assure that we will all take the appropriate measures to avoid the same incidents in the future. We in Cadaques always want only one thing and that is to please our customer, and hopefully next time we can show you a different experience.
I am glad you liked the property and the beauty of our resort. Thank you.

Berkeley, California
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I received one rate on the internet through their own booking system and when I arrived at the front desk and showed them my reservation, Francisco acted as though he was going to charge me the reservation rate and then charged my credit card seventy dollars more for the room. I came back to the front desk to ask them to credit the difference and he said that he could not do it. He made copies of the reservation and said that it was a website problem but he refused to credit me the difference. Before you hand them your credit card, make sure everything is in writing and clear before you do business with them. This is a bait and switch tactic used to lure people in with low rates and once there, they charge you a higher rate. If enough people complain to their credit card companies, Mastercard, which monitors these disputes, will eventually take away their credit card account. Be proactive and fight for consumer rights. False advertising will not be tolerated.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
9 Thank Na A
I am so sorry to hear that you had quite an inconvenience with your rate during your most recent stay with us. I will like to reiterate that we do not practice any “fraudulent” practices at all, and I apologize for any misunderstanding. We take your comment very seriously, and we want to assure we will get to the bottom of this. We are conducting an investigation. If you would like to provide any additional details you may call the property and ask for me.

Thank you for sending this information to us, and I look forward to resolving this matter.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We had a great room looking at the beach with fabulous sunsets. The hotel is located about 10 minute-walk from the Iberostar Bayahibe. The hotel has a different system of rooms, only 50 some hotel rooms and about 340 apartments. The back part off the hotel has a water park for kids and an endless pool. It has a small church and the hotel is designed as a Spanish small town. It will be incredible for weddings. The beach is clean, beautifully set, with plenty of chairs and small gazebos. It has a set of water trampolines and slides on the ocean right at the beach... a lot of fun. It is not crowded like Iberostar or Wyndham. Really a paradise! It also has a pier that ends in a gazebo with chairs... perfect place for sunsets. It has a small supermarket that only takes cash (It is not part of the hotel). However the little villa of Bayahibe is not far (short taxi drive) where one can find a couple of supermarkets in case one needs more variety of food. On the facilities there is a wine bar that offer food and snacks. One cannot charge to the room but credit cards and cash are accepted. The hotel has a restaurant by the beach with good dinners and lunches. The breakfast buffet needs some improvement. The staff is nice but sometimes really slow... that is common in the Caribbean. I loved the place!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for the building on the front part of the hotel or ask for clarification when maki...
2 Thank Palmeraunica
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your most recent stay with us. I am glad you liked the facilities and your room was spectacular!!
I am sorry to hear that you had quite an ordeal with the restaurant and the front desk,(room type goes by request only) and I am truly very sorry this happened to you.
Rest assure that your comments will not go unnoticed, and that we will discuss it and re train all the staff involved to assure this won’t happen again.
I know you liked our facilities, give us another chance and we can prove to you , that we can provide a much better experience than the one you had. You are right this is perfect hotel for weddings…..Hope to have you back, Thank you.