“Worst experience ever”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We have been to this hotel about a month ago and were very excited to go there for our 8 year anniversary. We were very disappointed the minute we checked in. Not to go in too much detail, this has been our worst experience ever. From dirty rooms to bad customer service, our stay was miserable. The front desk staff was the worse I have seen and this include a so called supervisor whose name is Jose. That guy has no clue about anything. The staff was rude and lying is what they do best. The room they put us in was worse than a cheap motel room. The room was just nasty. They promised to move us the next day because they had no other rooms available that night. The next day, they told us 'tomorrow' and it was one thing after the other. However, the beach and the landscaping were beautiful. I would not advise anyone to go there specially if you are travelling with kids because of the number of topless woman walking around the beach. Anyway, if you choose to go, see for yourself.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WoOdYB1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Just like you, I was once curious about this place. I will try my best to be as detailed as possible for all of you.

ARRIVAL

Our plane arrived in SDQ Airport, we booked a shuttle with DominicanShuttles.com being that our resort was 1 hour and a half away from the airport. I highly recommend their service, they give you a reasonable price, you can request food and drinks upon arrival and they are always on time. Once we arrived to the resort we went straight to the front desk, showed our reservations, and right away a nice gentlemen took our bags and showed us where our room was at. Right away my cousin and I fell in love with the place. Our room was pretty simple, ikea-like furniture, the AC was on full blast so I suggest you take a blanket but in all it was a comfortable place to sleep.

POOLS/BEACH/WATER ACTIVITIES

The pools are to die for ! Infinity pools that look over the beach? who could complain about that ! The beach was beautiful, crystal blue warm water, not too much people in them. They have a lot of water activities like Kayaking (which we did a couple of times), they have a banana boat, wind surfing, scuba diving etc.

FOOD

The food was great ! They have a couple of restaurants but we spent most of our time in the buffet. I am big on spaghetti and pizza, that's all I cared about eating most of the time lol. If you have a sweet tooth they have tons of cakes and sweets for you !

ANIMATION TEAM/SHOWS/PARTY/CLUBS

You'll LOVE the animation team. They are a group of young talented individuals that are there to entertain you during the day and night! They have activities such as zumba, or dance lessons. At night time they have a show where they are usually dancing or singing and afterwards they have a party with a different theme every night. They had a Brazilian theme, 70s party, all white party, playboy party, etc. They are very creative and it's so much fun ! What me and my cousin loved the most was the after party which was held at the club, we love to dance and they had great music to dance to !

DRINKS

I'm honestly not a big drinker (I can honestly count how many drinks I have taken the last couple of years) so I don't want to give you the wrong info when it comes to drinks. Mostly I sipped on pina coladas and brugal (dominican rum).

OVERALL

It was a great experience, I barely slept because I had so much fun ! My cousin and I are planning on going back in July, we fell in love with the place. I feel like you will never get bored, there is always something to do. Most of the crowd is older, this may not be the best resort to go to if you're single because there are mostly couples there. But hey we made the best out of it !

I hope this review helped you guys out !
- Jess

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
18  Thank Jessica J
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I have to say, my husband and I were VERY nervous after reading the reviews after we booked. This has been our 10th year in the Dominican, and we have always had a wonderful vacation, but the reviews we the worst we had ever seen. WELL, I have to say, I think all of those people should stay home! We had NO problem communicating with the people, everyone was very helpful and friendly! We found that once you told them you spoke english...it was NO problem to communicate! We have always found the Dominican people go out of there way to make sure every thing is GOOD! We meant some great people.
Your vacation is what you make of it. We rented a Bunglow, and do agree that they are outdated, but still very comfortable. We don't spend much time in our room. The food was great! I always gain weight..lol..... The grounds were beautiful!!! Paradise...peacocks, flamingos. Lots of shops on site, but if you go out side the gate, then you will find another strip of shops at a much cheaper price. They offer LOTS of activities through out the day, and you can choose if you want to participate or not.
We did NOT find they catered to any Nationality more than another...we h
ad great service. Tips NO MATTER where you are in the world, go a long ways...
This is not a fancy 5 star, but neither is my home...I go to relax and have fun. this resort offers something for everyone...We would go back to this resort no problem....
I also have to say, that this was an amazing spot to snorkel and we learned to scuba in the pool...It was a great vacation....lots of huts on one end of the beach but lots of trees for shade the entire beach.

Room Tip: If your wanting to book ANY kind of tours, go outside the resort and turn right,,,walk down the stre...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank ma143pa
Reviewed 15 May 2012

They lost our reservation, and blamed us for it, even though we had a printed copy of the email confirmation. After that, it took an hour to check in. We asked for a room, and they were soooooo sloooow and they gave us a bungalow with a springy old mattress and a television from the 1970s. The bathroom had pipes sticking out of it. It took another hour to switch to a real room, I yelled into the phone (never done that before, but I was so irritated) and it wasn't much better. The woman put me on hold by holding the phone in the air, as I had seen her do many times as I waited for her to perform the clearly very complicated check-in procedures. The sheets and covers are all polyester and slide off of you while you are sleeping. The bumping party music kept us up until around 2:00am, and woke us up again in the morning. Everyone else there seemed like a grotesque drunkard looking to score. At meals, I felt like a horse going to the trough for slop. All-inclusive gruel. It was horrifying. Unless you're trying to meet someone that's also looking to meet you and not very picky, go to Cadaques, which has a better price, lovely atmosphere, great restaurant, etc.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Gwyneth F
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Hey there fellow travelers. Just giving you insight to the Dominicus Beach by Wyndham.
Fist off the beach was very nice and relaxing, I did some snorkeling and hung out by the reefs with the fiance. The infinity pool on the west end of the complex was really nice as well.

Then it all went down hill from there. Day 3 I got food/water poisoning and was throwing up the entire day I had the chills and was bed ridden because they 1. Leave the food out for hours during brunch and flies have there way with the food. 2. They take the food from the previous buffet and recycle it for the evening, they may change a garnish or 2 but that's about it. 3. I know not to drink the water, but they wash all the cups and items you eat off of in the water your not supposed to drink from so correct me if I'm wrong there is such thing as transference. SO BEWARE THE FOOD AND THE WATER! I lost my appetite the rest of the trip. The drive was crazy as well, a representative informed me that it was only 1 hour from the airport, this is not true it's 2 hours from the airport.

I also asked for more pillows more then once on the trip and never ever saw a single one.
So I will not be returning to Dominicus Beach at all.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
42  Thank brad5NY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
1.0 km away
3.5 km away
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
0.7 km away
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK