“Good 4* hotel, in great location”
Review of Relaxia Olivina

Relaxia Olivina
Ranked #27 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I needed a week on my own, in a nice hotel in a sunny part of the world, and this was recommended. The Riu Olivina is a good 4 star hotel and is just 5 minutes walk from a great beach. I had a twin room in the main part of the hotel, on an all-inclusive basis, and I was more than satisfied.

My room was spacious and comfortable and spotlessly clean. Although I was on the ground floor, with patio doors onto a small balcony area, the locking mechanism on the doors was excellent so I felt perfectly safe and secure.

I had no complaints about the food - the choice at breakfast, lunch and dinner was very good and meal times were very extended so you could eat early or late depending on your preference. You could also take breakfast and lunch outside on the terrace, which was really pleasant.The bar service was good, and it was self-service drinks (beer or wine) in the restaurant.

The pool area was good - lots of sun loungers, so you could even bag one if you didn't hit the pool until lunchtime. The entertainment staff had lots on offer during the day - including yoga; pilates; pistol shooting; shuffle-board;keep fit etc and quite a few people joined in each time.

I didn't take in any of the evening entertainment, but everything seemed to finish around 11pm in the hotel so you couldn't hear a pin drop after that - great for a good night's sleep!

The location of the hotel was a real bonus. Once you reached the sea-front, you could walk in either direction to areas with shops, bars and restaurants, or walk for an hour or more actually on the beach, paddling in the sea.

I had a great week at the Riu Olivina and would happily recommend it as a good 4 star hotel.
As an added bonus, I had fantastic weather the whole week - hot and sunny and not a cloud in the sky!!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the main hotel are very good and handy for all the facilities.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
15  Thank Lucaswestyorkshire
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

finding our apartment here on arrival was somewhat tricky in the dark as no-one took us there. although we were given verbal directions, having never been there before, it took awhile for us to find it, and then had more fun and games trying to locate the front door. Once in, were quite pleased with the place. a quick phone call to reception sorted out extra pillows and a kettle.

the site is quite spread out but that wasn't too much of a problem once we had some daylight to see where we were going.

found two of the pools mentioned - couldn't miss one of them as it was very near our apartment, but they aren't all always heated - be warned they are very cold if they aren't! they also seemed to like rotating which pool they heated too, but there was nothing to say which one was and when - you had to figure that out for yourself.

food was of a reasonable quality, could possibly have been a bit more variety to it, but there was always something to eat, even if you did end up wandering around the various cooking and buffet stations.

the soft drinks, including the tea and coffee were fine for the most part, but occasionally the soft fizzy drinks machines ran out of their colouring and flavouring, however the staff soon rectified that. can't comment on the alcohol as i don't drink the stuff.

be aware when it comes to evening meals - its not a case of turn up when you want to nor sit anywhere you feel like. they have two sittings - 6pm and 8pm (we didn't get a choice of which we wanted, but then we don't have kids)and you are told on your first evening where you are sitting, and what time you are eating. that table is yours for the duration, but only on the evening meal. you can choose where you sit for breakfast and lunch.

impressed by the standard of their staff, all helpful, polite and friendly, all willing to help, from posting a postcard to come back to the uk, to a good standard of cleanliness in the rooms and everything else in between.

cant comment on the evening entertainment as we didn't get involved with that, but plenty of activities available during the day for all the family,and plenty of sun loungers to go around.

overall, I'd go back again - already booked for December 2012, so it cant be that bad!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank furryfoot
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Ignore all the bad reviews by fuddy duddies. This Hotel was excellent.
Food was varied, hot and very tasty. Restaurant was very clean and the manageress (Inma)
and her team were first class. The bar was very good and staff again wer excellent. The entertainment although not top notch it was good. \the grounds were well maintained............ As for the comment about being like Blackpool only Blackpool had better food.......... If you want fish and chips every night go to Blackpool ............. Thank you Rui Olivana for a wonderful holiday. I will be back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank petethepuma44
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Have been to other Riu and all inclusive hotels and this one has to be the worst. Food was very mundane and after a few days got quite boring with not much variation, Entertainment in the evening was dire except for two acrobatic acts, my wife caught gastroenteritis and was in bed for over a day and it was put down to an air borne virus going around the island? She was not alone. Treated by the doctor who daily visited the complex who was v good but it cost almost 300 euros as it was private treatment, my wife being too ill to travel to the hospital to see local GP. Half way into our stay the hotel was invaded by noisy Germans. Have to say on the whole the staff were generally very good, our room cleaner was very attentive, and you cannot help the weather which was cold and cloudy during our stay. The Thompsons flight and hotel rep were good. However, will not be returning to this hotel

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Foulweatherjack
A TripAdvisor Member
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

This was the worst holiday I have ever been on! On arriving we were ORDERED to go to lunch, we wanted to go to our room to freshen up after our flight but got told to eat first! We were then given a map to go find our apt as is is quite a big complex and we were across the road from the main hotel(we took a while to find it). The apt was clean and tydy but I felt that we were positioned in a wee dark corner away from everyone! The food was awful, only 1 selection of meat which was always pork and that was lunch and dinner! There was a massive selection of salad but we were told not to touch it as there had been a sickness bugs going about the hotel and it was believed that it was coming from the Salad bar. The food was always cold so after paying for all inclusive we had to eat out most nights! The cocktails had no alcohol in them therefor u had to ask them to put alcohol in them evertime to which you got a funny look in return.On our 2nd night our apt got burgled while myself and daughter slept on the sette in the living room! The buglers walked right my myself and stole everything out my bag! Luckly we never woke up! When reporting this to reception next morning I was disgusted, we were told it was nothing to do with them and we were to find a translator and go to the police. They showed no sympathy what so ever! I was standing in tears with my 7yr old daughter and they done nothing to help us! I asked to be moved to an upper floor apt and was told "The robbers will just come through the roof to get in"! I have never experienced anything like this in my life! My phone, money and bank card was stole so had no way of contacting home to cancel everything. The hotel staff never even offered us their phone but did direct us to a phone box! From takling to other holiday makers i found out that lost of people had had there belongs stole, but not from their apt. Stay well away from this Hotel! Staff are unhelpful, grumpy and can harly speak a word of English!( I believe it was a member of staff that burgledour apt) Food is terrible and the wi-Fi doesnt work! Entertaiment at night was shocking the kids disco started at 7.45pm and finished at 8.05pm, they played the same 3 songs everynight for the kids! We would them have to wait about until 10pm for the actual entertainment to start which was brutal. To top the whole holiday off there was no sun all week!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family