“Delicious and beautiful place - no credit cards”
Review of La Caldera

La Caldera
Ranked #12 of 35 Restaurants in Salto
Cuisines: Barbecue, South American, Grill
Reviewed 19 June 2018

The place is awesome! Since the very first step inside you are overwhelmed by the beauty of the place, decorated with great taste, warm, inviting, clean.

There are tables outside - I recommend going inside. We were informed - immediately upon arrival and before sitting down - that they do not accept credit cards. (Speaking with the owner we learned later that this is to keep prices lower than average for the quality of the food served).

A lady brought the menu immediately and after selecting we waited a while (but we were served some bread and a sauce).

Food was delicious and so was the dessert.

International food and steakhouse

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 22 January 2017

Arrived at 8:30 p.m. and saw the waitress was still cleaning the floors. The manager, possibly the owner, verified every table to ensure they were perfect. I had a starter and a main course followed by a dessert. All three courses were exquisite and the service impeccable. Both the manager/owner and the waitress served me. This was one of the best meals I have had for a long time.
I can strongly recommend La Caldera.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 29 July 2016

Wanted to go for parilla, and was told this resto was ok. When we got there however we were treated really poorly by the man who was working there and evidently in charge. Perhaps he was put off when we asked if they accepted credit cards (answer:no, which means 22% more for foreigners....). Nonetheless, we sat down....and were promptly ignored. Some S Americans came in after us, got their menus and were served wine before any attention was paid to us at all. I had to ask for a menu then....nothing. Perhaps the food is good, but the attitude towards tourists totally sucks. Big diappointment. After perhaps 10 minutes of being ignored (only us and the forementioned S Americans in the place) we left and went to the other resto around the corner (which was fair, far from great)

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 27 February 2016

Disappointing. Our experience wasn't like the majority of the reviews here. The restaurant looked promising and we took a table outside - we ordered some great wine and looked forward to the food, but it arrived late and I'm sure my steak had been hanging around. It tasted good, but the waiter should have served it 15 minutes earlier when it was actually freshly cooked. The waiter was also dour and not very responsive. Overall, a disappointing dining experience.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed 8 February 2015

When I attend this place I feel like I've traveled back to a time when things were a lot less hectic. For starters it's in an old colonial house with exposed brick walls (it has a bit of that dark British pub interior feel.) The furniture is also on the antique side (old shortwave radios in wooden cabinets etc.) Then the service is like in the old days. My favorite waiter is a white haired old man who is utterly respectful of the customer and will never speak to you if not addressed. He takes your order, walks away and eventually brings you exactly what you order. Zero fuss. (Warning: if you don't speak Spanish your mileage may vary, but I am sure they'll do their best to satisfy you notwithstanding.) I would give this place five starts for all of the above, what gives me some pause is that I've had varying success picking dishes in my various visits so I can't recommend the entire menu. On my last visit for example I had barbecued "vacio" and a "San Cristobal" salad (with raw prosciutto and figs) which were both excellent. This time on I had churrasco "La Caldera", a steak embellished with ham cheese, egg, french fries and other works. While the size of the dish and all its trimmings certainly checked the quantity box, the steak was a chewy non descript cut and it was overcooked (I asked for it medium). We also ordered a steak brochette, it was a good dish with nice meat but it was overcooked also. A winner this time was an appetizer, the "salchicha parrillera" (barbecued thin sausage). Another clear winner was the homemade ice cream for desert, really tasty stuff. Bottom line: The setting and the service make this Salto restaurant special and worth a visit. Your food mileage may vary depending on what dish you pick. If you have meat make sure to leave no doubt on how you like your it cooked.

Date of visit: February 2015