“Reservation was cancelled”

The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
Reviewed 22 May 2016

We booked a room for 2 nights through Expedia. I called to see if we could add an additional night to our stay only to be informed that the hotel did not have our reservation on file. The receptionist agreed to check with Expedia and call me back, and this did not happen. I called back again today only to be informed that a night had been dropped from my reservation due to our credit card information not being added to the paperwork. I did provide a credit card to hold the room and, to the best of my knowledge, hotels/Expedia do not even allow someone to hold a room without a card. At any rate, they had given my room away and made no efforts to rectify this situation. Expedia was made aware as well, and they were very helpful in finding another location. Unfortunately, absolutely no hotels in the area had any vacancies, and I have had to inform my children that we cannot in fact go to the beach this weekend. I am very disappointed in how this situation was handled and will not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer G
Alyce K, General Manager at The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2016

Thank you for your recent review. We would love to welcome you back to the Clamdigger Inn and are waiting for alternate for you to stay with us.
Please give us a call at your earliest convenience to confirm your stay.
Clamdigger Inn

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 May 2016 via mobile

My best friend has been staying over Thanksgiving for several years now, so we joined her and her family last year. The hotel was adequate, beach views were amazing, decent bar downstairs, we ate out so I can't speak on the restaurant, things were outdated but clean. The price couldn't be beat.

Here's why I will not go back; the Inn is under new ownership and they have almost tripled their rates. My friend booked a month or two ago for this Thanksgiving and got the old rate that she's used to. I booked yesterday and my total was approx $500 more than hers (same length of stay). I called to inquire about the rate change and learned about the new ownership. I explained that it was a multifamily vacation in which I was the last to book, hoping for an exception, and was not accommodated. The woman at the desk, Karen, who was very nice and I think was the lady working when we visited, was instructed to tell me to check travel sites for better rates. Really? I wasn't asking for a handout, I just wanted the rate the rest of our group had, and would've accepted anything close just so that I could stay in the same hotel.

Returning guests will take note of this increase and be as shocked as we were.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
5  Thank L K

Thank you for your recent review. Please note that rates change daily and hourly based on availability. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future.

Reviewed 19 May 2016 via mobile

I took my fiance here for his birthday. We really enjoyed the stay and the food. It was convenient to have a restaurant in the hotel. The view from the restaurant was beautiful as well! It was very quite and relaxing

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your recent review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay!!
I hope that you will select the Clamdigger Inn the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 16 May 2016

This is a very basic and older hotel. No frills and a bit outdated. If you are looking for something other than that, you will be disappointed.

Amazing views of the ocean --- all rooms overlook the ocean. Higher level rooms are nicer because you don't hear as much from the pool/outside bar seating.

Tiny but clean bathrooms in the room. I had read about them in previous reviews and thought it might be a bit exaggerated.

The whole facility could use a bit of updating, but part of the charm (?) is the "going back in time to the early 80s" feel.

Each room has a little balcony to enjoy the sunrise/sunset/surf. The balconies are a bit narrow so if you're afraid of heights it might be unsettling. But it was great watching the pelicans, dolphins and fishermen.

Beds were ok (old bedspread and thin foam blanket gave me the willies)....blanket not warm enough. Pillows flat and thin. It wasn't until we were leaving that we discovered ADDITIONAL pillows in the bureau drawers. Wish we had known or that they were in the closet where most hotels put extra bedding -- instead I balled up beach towels and clothing for added height.

Bar is kind of cheesy but after a few glasses of wine, the dj was very entertaining. Kind of cool that the juke box was free -- had a great time being "dj" before the actual dj got there.

Even though it was a non smoking hotel and signage says no smoking on the balconies, people didn't comply. :(

Beach was very clean. They put out chairs and umbrellas that you can use (for a fee of $20 a day.) If you booked them the day AND the following day you could get a discount on the second day ($15). If you didn't know, and decided the next day that you in fact wanted them, you wouldn't get the discount, even if you had booked it the previous day. Nickle and diming....

The guy who checked us in was cheerful but a bit snarky. I'm in customer service and I get it -- that sometimes you're tired, and you've heard the same questions all day long -- but they need to remember that the customer is asking the question for the first time -- even though it might have been the 400th time you heard it that day.

WiFi is free -- although I never was able to pick it up. I ended up using my data plan because it wasn't strong enough. Regardless of time of day.

A spot light shines on the ocean from about 9pm until about 1 or 2 am -- While illuminating the ocean is a nice effect (the waves really POP and birds tend to gather) -- what is disturbing is that the whole island is supposed to be a turtle sanctuary. And I would think this would be very confusing to hatchlings and also illuminate them for the hungry birds to see. :(

Other places we've stayed had very strict rules about lights on the beach at night. I'm surprised no one has said anything to the hotel about this.

Restaurant is less than "meh" --- Very disappointed in dinner -- it was flavorless. The seafood was overpriced and also flavorless. A lot of fried options if you're into that kind of thing. But not worth the $ we spent. Breakfast was decent, and hard to mess up. If we come again, we won't be eating there for dinner, even though it was very convenient for two very tired travelers.

If you want a FABULOUS dinner -- make the short drive to Atlantic Beach and go to Amos Mosquitoes. (Recommendation made by a local woman we met and we were SO grateful for her suggestion!)

Also while in the area, make sure you make time to visit the NC Aquarium and the Fort in Atlantic Beach. Very well done exhibits.

What was REALLY nice is that it was relatively quiet. It was still early in the season so not a lot of traffic or people. Very residential area with not a lot of hotels on that strip. Can't believe how close the hotel was to the surf.

If we lived closer, we would probably be back again. But it is too far away from DC for a long weekend at the beach. I heard that in the off season they have really great deals on rooms. So maybe if we were planning a longer trip on the off season we'll be back.

Room Tip: rooms on the upper floors are quieter - don't get a room near elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review. Please know that we will be addressing a lot of the issues you pointed out in an extensive renovation planned for the fall of 2016. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again and experience the new and renovated Clamdigger Inn.

Reviewed 8 May 2016 via mobile

We had a great experience here. The room and bathroom were small but clean. The view of the ocean is wonderful. It reminded me of hotels that I visited while growing up in the 1970s and the 1980s, which is nice. It brought back great memories. The employees were nice as well. It was truly pleasant and a great deal.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Christopher D

We appreciate your business!!! We have exciting renovations starting in the fall of 2016!!
We hope you choose to stay with us again soon!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pine Knoll Shores
5.9 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
5.3 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
19.7 km away
Islander Inn & Suites
Islander Inn & Suites
#1 of 3 in Emerald Isle

Been to The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK