“Relaxing, chilled place”
Review of Namtok Bungalow

Namtok Bungalow
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights in the cheapest bungalow available - 550 baht. We didn't book but Danny (owner) didn't mind, and showed us a bungalow straight away. Everyone is so laid back, when I asked about paying he said we can just sort it out when we leave.

The bungalow:
It is not sealed from outside... So there are big gaps between the wall and roof. It is wooden with a nice balcony with a hammock, and had a beautiful view. The bed was quite uncomfortable... the springs were very easily felt, but I slept on two towels as well to try reduce the feeling. The mosquito net was 100% - no holes. No bugs got within 1 meter of us at night which was really nice, and so it didn't matter that the bungalow was quite open. TIP: tuck the net under the mattress all the way round. The toilet and shower was fine - but there was no where to hang towels in it or anything (there is a line outside for drying, however). There were spiders and cockroaches in our bathroom, as well as massive ants but what can you expect when you're in a wild beautiful location with quite an open room. I just took the shower sprayer and sprayed the whole bathroom down daily. Towels were provided on arrival.

The location:
Beach is just across the road, and at least 3 nice places to eat within 5 minutes walking distance. There is a convenience shop 5 minutes away and the pier to leave to krabi is 5 minutes walk. It must be said that the beach is only really swimmable at high tide - at low tide it retreats far back and becomes a muddy plane with a lot of crabs!

It is well priced for what you get - there is free coffee, fridge space to store things, free wifi and a small place to prepare food/drinks. The communal area is really nice and relaxed, with lots of hammocks to lie on. The wifi is pretty fast considering it is on a rather undeveloped island!

Motorbikes can be rented from the bungalow for 200 baht/day.

The deluxe bungalows looked great - sealed to the outside with aircon!

Enjoyed the whole island, but wouldn't stay for longer that 4 days unless you really want to relax and do nothing (and unless you are a rock climber cause there is good climbing here).

Must just add that there must be some sort of a mosque nearby cause we were woken every single morning around 5:30 AM by a man singing/chanting loudly. It also happened in the evenings but then it was fine cause we weren't sleeping. TIP: bring earplugs because the nature is quite loud anyway if you are a light sleeper. I did use and still woke up from the singing though.

I would stay here again if I were to come back to the island because it was a nice chilled place to stay with value for money.

Room Tip: Chose bungalow closed off the outside if bugs freak you out. Bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Maxine S

Reviewed 6 January 2014

The wooden expensive bungalow was good with a fridge and hot water. and you can use the kitchen to cook. The cheap bungalow was bit questionable. we are sure there is stuff sleep under our bed or live in our matrace and make a house down there. The local restaurant is excellent for food. They mix 150 bat pot of pink or blue drink. good enough to get me pissed and walk back.

Room Tip: Not too bad
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed at Namtok bungalows for 2nights and had a great stay!
I opted for the deluxe bungalow and it was a great size with a large private bathroom. Very clean!

The owner Dinny was great! I was staying on my own and as I hadn't used a motorbike before he showed me around the island and introduced me to lots if people.

The only downside would be that as I was staying on my own and don't ride a motorbike it made it hard to get around the island as places are quite far apart on foot.

I would definitely recommend Namtok Bungalows and would stay there again! Ideal for nature lovers and it's just off the jungle and a 2min walk from the beach.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

A testing couple of days in Namtok Bungalows.

The basic room is 500bht a night and to quote another reviewer, it really is a "glorified shed". It has large gaps between the roof and the walls so bugs, lizards etc really have free rein. To top this off the mosquito net that's supplied was covered in holes and discoloured. The room from the nearby wildlife is also pretty loud, so I'd suggest a good pair of earplugs if your a light sleeper.

Don't get me wrong I didn't hate the place, I was just really surprised it's the top rated Bungalow on the island, when it's really not. We stayed at Sabai Corner at 350bht for two additional days and it was markedly better.

It's got a charm to it, it's just not for the feint hearted.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank SimonTaylor1867
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Relaxed atmosphere, read and chill in the hammocks, share the kitchen, good space to meet other travellers, great family meals, basic bamboo bungalows are fine with natural air conditioning ;) and the wooden bungalows look good. Near the pier, beach, local shops and great restaurants. You won't want to leave! Stayed 6 weeks ago and It's still my favourite island. Nam Tok is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013