Wildfitness - Baraka House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Sun Palm Beach Resort(Watamu)(Great Value!)
US$ 67
US$ 129
  • Beachfront
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I was searching for a holiday to heal my body with sport after having a spin and a meniscus operation last year, and it was real great. Wildfitness shows you how to move and use all parts of your body again, and it functions, after three weeks of training with this wonderful training team I feel great! and baraka house on the wonderful watamu beach is a wonderful base! great rooms! great view! wonderful staff , great food! So, if you want to regenerate with sport in nature , go there.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael G
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Two or three plane changes from where you are right now, a primal biosphere of health awaits you. An adventure designed by nature, facilitated by sports professionals and put to life by the learned imagination of an true athlete of nature. Wildfitness is far from a bootcamp. I have made it through the world's most prolific boot camp in modern times (Fort Benning, GA USA) and a health fad boot camp. The former focused on skills associated with ending the life of others through threat and the latter focused on scales and waistline measurements through contrived and forced exercise. WF has neither of these focuses. The team at WF has structured a fitness experience for you by setting a fun yet natural physical activity program that gives you the inner awakening health experience of your life. An experience which sends you out with the desire to carry on in the way nature has made you. So how can WF use the word "Vacation" in their description of this excursion? Two on demand masseuse on the premises, Crystal clear Indian ocean swims out your door, A room service that beats many Five star properties with its 3x a day room prep, a natural wash and press everything service, nature at every head turn, a pack of cool monkeys saying hello as you move to each event, varying nightly dinners set up with perfection and positioned closer to the stars each night, a new set of friends each different from the other in profession, life experience, age and nationality and finally a 3:1 staff to client ratio = Vacation. With every meal, every natural smoothie, every sip of Coconut Water my pallet was telling me two things: "this food is awesome" and "this food is what my body needs by its design". With all that, the “No’s”were easy to get over, heed and enjoy. No Pasta, No Sugar, No Sodas, No TV, No Car, No Wallet, No Bread, No Tobacco, No Shoes, No Coffee/Tea, No Clocks, No Scale. With a resume of vacations behind me, this one will be the most personal. It was a "better me" vacation. Three weeks on now, the experience has kept with me in my choice of nourishment, my approach to the inside of the gym and the spirit of my approach in the unnatural stresses in my life – traffic, lines, soft clients, tech blah and the OS. My daydreams while strapped back into the norm of my life’s chosen profession are changed from closing the big one to Yes! I want to feed a wolf raw meat from my teeth. When those musings start back on closing the big one, I will be looking to return to Watamu..

Room Tip: Any Room Wins
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank FernandinaTraveler
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Tara has pulled together an excellent, enthusiastic and effective team to deliver her inspiring Wildfitness concept. They all clearly love and live the brand which is infectious and inspiring to experience. The coaches are superb and make every day both challenging and fun at the same time.
The quality of service was exemplary - above all it was the genuine sincerity and passion that was conveyed by the staff that really made the holiday. From Francis asking us to spread the word because he doesn't want to have to ever go back to cooking junk food, to hearing how Amani has worked his way up to being a coach's assistant and how he'll spend the off season training, down to the little things such as the incredibly efficient and much needed laundry service!! It was also really good fun to play volleyball and see the good natured but incredibly competitive team spirit and rivalries that clearly exist between the staff teams.

I thoroughly enjoyed the activities, particularly the way we were able to engage with the local environment, the trips off-site and the ability to learn about Kenya both on a national scale from Joash's talk, to the more local projects such as the turtle rescue programme. I came home refreshed and inspired and am now wondering how I can plan my next trip. It was worth every penny - an investment in mind and body!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank JR20130424
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was looking for a total escape from my corporate life in London and found it in Kenya. Wildfitness offered just that and promised to transform me mentally and physically in the process.

Overall I was very impressed with the course on offer. The highly trained professional instructors, two Brits and and two Kenyans knew their stuff and got the balance right between pushing us reasonably hard and making the whole experience highly enjoyable. The HD video clip on their website is an accurate reflection of the sort of boxing, running, jumping, swimming and stretching exercises you will be doing.

The venue on the beach in Watamu is absolutely spot on and beautiful too. I was concerned about training in the heat, but the almost constant sea breeze and a carefully organised timetable didn't make this much of an issue.

Prospective attendees should be aware that the "Caveman" natural diet of nothing but fruit, fish, chicken, meat and veg really is strictly enforced. There isn't much opportunity to buy any chocolate or coffee nearby. Still it is worth sticking too and I felt pretty revitalised at the end of it. If you are a news / email junkie there is WI-FI, but as is often the case in Africa is can and will go down from time to time.

I chose the accommodation option near the pool about 300 metres from the main house on the beach. Though not a luxurious as the main building, it was nevertheless fine for my sleeping needs and fairly priced.

Finally I would also recommend tagging a few days safari onto the trip if this is your first time to Kenya.

Overall a great course, fairly priced and delivered by a team that are passionate about what they do. I hope to be back someday or attend one of their camps in Europe next time

Room Tip: If you want luxury go for a room in the main house. If you only want a place to crash out after a hard day's training, then the more basic rooms near the pool 300 m from the main house are a sensibly priced alternative
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank SW19man
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Two weeks in a "not-so wild" and yet, "not-so tamed" world…

I am partial to sub-saharian english speaking Africa. I discovered it 20 years ago and although I have lived abroad and travelled to all the other continents of our planet; I have been over there 3 times in the last 8 months! I am in love with its people, its smiles, its nature (fauna & flora), its skies, its colors, its landscapes, its oceans, its lifestyle, and all the impressions, the vibes and the energy it conveys to me … yet, having said that, the whole Wildfitness Watamu-Kenya experience dumbfounded me.

Although, I thought it was expensive (average of 250€ per day), I decided to treat myself and went for it. Of course, I expected quality, service, competence and beautiful surroundings; I did receive all that + a wonderful evergreen holistic concept tackling all facets of “a healthy mind in a healthy body” + real deep know-how and genuine competence from each person involved: coaches, house staff, management + renewed creativity in everything from food (“We are what we eat” - Aristotle!) to exercises, from stimulation to organisation, from planning to ‘freedom to be’.

It set new boundaries, not only to how good we human beings can be towards one another when we care to; but also to how high or far, we are capable of driving ourselves thanks to emulation, shared energy, proficiency, plays, laughs attention, kindliness, and respect for the individual each of us is.

We were surrounded and attended to, by approximately 20-22 persons; although we were only 7: 4 guys and 2 gals (spanning 34 to 41 years old, and me, 63 years old). My team members were faster, more enduring, more efficient in everything physical, with a more perfectly accented English (!), and less shy in interacting with one another. But I felt I belonged, perhaps because I am not classical or conformist (?), but certainly because all of them -mates & coaches- let me in and recognized without judgment, my measuring up to them, although in a different manner!

I am writing this 2 weeks after I left Baraka House i.e. I have had time to tell my friends, impress them with a newfound glow, and to sort out my perceptions and impressions, so, this is as pragmatic, objective and as little clinical as I can be.

All together, they taught me: “Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly” – Chesterton.

DS©-Belgium-Augsut 19, 2013