“Beautiful space near a gorgeous beach and a bit...”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Watamu Treehouse

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Dining Room North Tower
North Tower of Watamu Treehouse
The two towers of Watamu Treehouse - in a forest on the nicest and quietest part of Watamu Beach, KE
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Dutch first
Any
SafariPri...
Arusha, Tanzania
“Beautiful space near a gorgeous beach and a bit hot in April”
Reviewed 16 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015
people found this review helpful

We were two families with kids aged 8 renting the North Tower for the first two weeks of April. It was a wonderful spot for an action-packed family holiday. The house is artistic, airy and beautifully whimsical with incredible attention to detail. It is not appropriate for very young children (under 7 years old I'd say). Nor is it good for people who can't climb hills and stairs. Fortunately, we were all fit and enjoyed the extra workout the many steps offered and the 200 meter trip down and up from the beach. The beach is a dream for kids. Not a sea urchin in sight, and beautiful soft sand. It's great for long walks and jogs as well. There was some seaweed when we were there, but not as bad as what I've seen elsewhere on the East African coast. There were also a few blue bottle jelly fish that gave a nasty sting during the spring tide, but those came and went. We felt we only scratched the surface in terms of the activities available in the area. We had a car so it was easy to get around. But it is also easy enough to use local "tuk tuk" transport to get around. The kids loved the visit to the snake park and we discovered beginner sailboats for rent (economically) at Turtle Bay Resort nearby.

We did the self-catering option and the house came with a cook who was learning the seafood menus. That generated a bit of frustration. But he was lovely and worked very very hard for us. As did all the staff. My daughter said, "All the staff here are child friendly". I'd recommend going for the HB or FB option and not having to hassle with menu planning and the constant need for taking more cash out to buy milk, or salad or fish.

The house is located on a hill about 200 m from the beach. There are sea views from the top two rooms (Honeymoon and Star Bed). The Baobab room was very hot during the day, but had a fan at night, which probably made it the easiest room to sleep in. The other two rooms had a breeze that varied in intensity and usually died down in the middle of the night making sleeping difficult. We all commented that the top two rooms could also use having fans. But it may be that at other times of year it's not as humid or the breeze doesn't die down as much.

The honeymoon room is the most functional room. It has a king sized bed, and a wrap around verandah. It feels very luxurious and is relatively cool all day (apart from when the breeze stops at night). There is a lounge bed and a table so it's possible to relax and get some privacy during the day.

The Star bed room is right on the very top. It's dramatic and gorgeous - and small. It has a queen sized bed with only a small amount of space on either side of the bed. The en suite bathroom has an open air shower that affords amazing views day and night. The uncovered area in front of the room is absolutely wonderful at night under the stars - pure romance. In the daytime though, at least in April, it was baking hot so not a living space. The room itself has only a couple of shelves for storage so it's not really comfortable for days on end. And it is a pain when it rains in the middle of the night because one has to get up and close the glass doors, and then it blocks the main flow of air which is an issue in April as it is hot and humid. When not feeling sleep-deprived though, the room is absolute idyllic charm.

The Baobab room is the lowest down, at treetop level, with views inland and over the Mida Creek. It was nearest to the dining room. In April it had pretty much no breeze reaching it. It did have an overhead fan which kept it a reasonable sleeping temperature overnight. It has a queen (or maybe slightly smaller) bed. We had two kids sleeping in it which didn't quite work.

We ended up spending most of our time hanging out in the dining room area, which was very comfortable, but without a sea view and it got very hot before the breeze picked up mid-morning. There was a fan there which helped keep the air moving when there wasn't much breeze.

The staff worked hard to keep everything clean and as tidy as our chaos would allow. They were all friendly and welcoming and came and went unobtrusively. Really, I can't say enough about how great the staff were.

The new pool is wonderful. Great for the kids to splash around in during the heat of the day. Perfect for cooling down in. We made good use of it.

The walk down to the beach through the coastal forest is enchanting. It's about 200 m and on an incline. Sometimes Sykes monkeys would spy on us as we passed.

Activities organized through the house were expensive to partake of too many on a long-term stay. For the 6 of us, it was $35 per person for guided kayaking on Mida Creek and the same for snorkeling in the coral garden just 500 m off shore. Without kids it would be worth swimming out to the coral garden (NB foreign fees for snorkeling are $20 per person per day). We had a rather epic kayak trip on Mida Creek which was a good adventure. It would have been nice to be able to more easily rent a kayak for an hour here and there or arrange the snorkeling without having to do the expensive option. The last few days we were there we found the Aqua Sports section at Turtle Bay Resort and found that basic plastic kayak rental there was inexpensive ($6 per hour) as were beginner sail boats and wind surfing equipment.

We also participated in a few yoga classes. The yoga platform is stunning, a truly beautiful space, wonderfully breezy and with stunning views.

If I were to recommend the Treehouse to others, I'd recommend staying in the South Tower in the top two suites, which are incredible spaces, and opt for half or full board and then relax into the place for 4-5 nights and call it good.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend visiting in April, unless one is impervious to heat and humidity.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: idyllic beauty of the place
Liked least: the heat and humidity and trying to sleep
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway
LoisBee
Cardiff
“Spectacularly good!”
Reviewed 13 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015
person found this review helpful

I initially felt like an imposter here; I felt like I was rich or famous enough to be staying in such an exclusive venue! But, there I was, and I loved it! The house and its surrounding are picture-book scenery. It';s the most beautiful location, with the most special views. The room (Sunrise) was sumptuous and I loved that it was so open to the outside. The breeze was much-needed and to hear the Indian Ocean as I went to sleep was wonderful. The attention to detail everywhere is impressive; I loved the glass work so much that I've brought home photos as inspiration for me own garden in not-so-sunny Wales!

The food and service were fantastic. Thank you to Josephat and Chipira, particularly. The vegetarian food provided were great.

If you get a chance, go! It'll make you feel like Beyonce ;)

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway
Tall_Dutc...
Watamu, Kenya
“In love with Watamu Treehouse”
Reviewed 10 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015

Watamu Treehouse is a beautiful place! From the first time I visited this place, it stole my heart. The wind blows through the open windows, the view is stunning. I can see the ocean from my bed, I can see the full moon and the sunrise. Food is lovely, fresh, healthy, exactly what I need. I went snorkeling and kayaking, beautiful sceneries. I did yoga on the top roof, an amazing view while doing yoga. There is a pool to chill and lots of places to read my book and write in my diary. The owner Paul is a great host, as well as the rest of the staff. I love this place and would love to share this with the whole world!

Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Rwanda
Reviewed 7 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers
lmhazardo...
Kigali, Rwanda
“Beyond amazing house. Lovely beaches. Wonderful food and staff.”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014

A huge thanks to the owner of the house, Paul, who helped us with a variety of last minute guest changes and other travel challenges. We stayed here for a bachelorette party, and while we may have stretched the house to the brim, it worked perfectly -- and was such a lovely backdrop for a celebration. The house staff -- Kingi, Sam and Josephat, were so lovely and hospitable. We had a fantastic time lounging at the near deserted beach, snorkeling and eating lovely, lovely seafood. Thank you, thank you for an amazing weekend.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Incredible, open house with lovely breezes.
Liked least: Everything was perfect.
Travelling group: Large Group
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing