All reviewspizzacable carmount etnasouvenir shopsfantastic experienceguided tourstay there againcomfortable roombasepinerefugegrottacablecardiscountcollectioncarsjeep
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

The most rushed service experience I had in Italy. Really bad food, arrogant waiters and worst of all; tourist trap. If you crave the American fast food experience, go to this place. I do not think they even understand the Italian heritage​ of the four course meal. REALLY BAD.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2017

we was at Rifugio sapienza last august. All was fine. The rooms are large and confortabile. The hotel is close the funicolar and have a large park in front.
The restaurant is very good. Price are right.

Room Tip: large, clean, comfortables
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

I visited the restaurant here with my mother a few days ago. We had lovely service and our waiter was able to accommodate my mother's and my gluten allergy with delicious gluten-free pizza. However, that day I was feeling ill, and mistakenly left my wallet satchel in the restroom, with my passport and many euros in it. I didn't realize it was missing until late that night around 11 pm. Our flight out of the country was scheduled to leave at 7 the next morning, but the restaurant was to close in a half hour. A staff member, I was told was named Frederico, volunteered to wait a half hour after close for a friend of ours to pick up my satchel. When it was returned to me, not a hair in the wallet was out of place. I owe so much to the kindness of this staff and am so grateful for their help to me. This is a lovely establishment.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2017

Travelling to the south of Italy in the spring, I had expected hot days and warm nights - so the snow on Mount Etna in late April came as a surprise. It was lovely to arrive int he Rifugio and be welcomed into a warm and comfortable room with the option of a hot shower or a bath. I think of a mountain refuge as a hut with bunk beds and maybe a primus stove, but this is a welcoming hotel with wi-fi, bar and restaurant. You can walk easily to nearby craters, or get on the cable car virtually outside the door. A great place where I would be happy to stay again.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2017

Rifugio Sapienza is where the road up Etna effectively comes to an end. At this staging point you have a cablecar to take you higher if you want to go, and a collection of souvenir shops (some more motley than others) and fast food outlets.

The main Rifugio is a big building and has a cafe / fast food restaurant selling pizza, beers, soft drinks and the like. It's OK, but nothing special; the pizza was cold, the panini for Mrs LL likewise, and yet at the time, we were above the snowline and looking forward to some warm food.

Basically, it's exactly the sort of relieving-tourists-of-their-money operation you expect in resorts of all descriptions in all countries. Slightly scruffy, slightly down-at-heel, and awful food. I imagine it makes an absolute fortune.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple