“Scuba Diving with Rogan”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Scuba Diving with Rogan”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The whole hotel experience was great, but I wanted to make special mention of Rogan the dive instructor. I had never been scuba diving before, but my friend who came with me had been on many dives in the past. I excited to do it, but a little scared at the same time. Rogan, the dive instructor, did a great job of teaching me what I needed to know at a pace I was comfortable with. When it came time to dive, he made sure to stay near me under water and pay close attention to my breathing and buoyancy. He also did a great job letting my friend Seth, who is a master diver, explore the ocean without getting in his way. Rogan is a personable guy who helped me really enjoy my first diving experience.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tommy P
, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your generous review of our lovely resort Iberostar Rose Hall Suites. It was an absolute pleasure to have served you and furthermore knowing that you had a “great” experience is an even greater accomplishment. We would like you to understand exactly how important your comments are to us as it is through communications of this nature that we are able to assess our performance to ensure we are in fact delivering the level of service expect from our resort.

We are also very thankful that your first scuba diving experience was such a success and we will be certain to pass along your kind words to Rogan; we’re sure that he will be ecstatic to learn how much u actually enjoyed your experience. We genuinely look forward to welcoming you once again to our property and hope it will not be too long before your return.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Frederick, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed here in December 2008 as a getaway a few months after our son passed away. We found the resort to be clean, with just enough guests to make it feel full, but not so many that we got shut out of restaurants or couldn't find a pool chair. The only suggestion for improvement would be the food, which was fine, but nothing special.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stacy D
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management team and all the staff at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, please accept our most sincere appreciations for not only choosing to be our guests but also for taking time away from your busy schedule to share your opinions about our lovely resort. Please know that your comments are of great importance to us and your suggestion for improvement will certainly be taken into consideration. It is our genuine wish that if ever returning to out island of Jamaica, you will not hesitate to return to Iberostar as it would be our privilege to again serve you at our resort.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this property very much. I'll break this review down into topics:

Room -- Our room was very clean and spacious. Our maid personally introduced herself upon our arrival (and said goodbye the morning we left) and her towel art greatly impressed our kids. There was a door between the bathroom and sleeping area, which really helped to keep out any hallway noise. The balcony overlooked the lazy river, but we also had a fabulous view of the sea.

Service - We never had any problems. The staff was very professional and polite throughout the resort. The Star Friends had a lot of energy and provided a ton of activities for all ages every day. My only suggestion would be to offer more younger kid activities pool-side. It took us a few days to figure out that they did do things like ring toss games and feeding the fish off the pier, but they just weren't advertised in the same way that water aerobics and yoga were. They also did a cute/short kids' show every night around 8:15 in the air conditioned theater in which they call the kids up on stage for things like a talent show or fashion show. There is a later show every night for grownups, but we never stayed for it. Also, I don't know the staff to guest ratio, but it seemed like there were tons of staff always on hand. You never had to wait to order a drink at the pool, beach, restaurants, etc. The staff works incredibly hard.

Beach - Amazing! When the sun comes out, it's incredibly clear and blue. Tons of sand for sand castles and ample seats both in the sun and shade. It's a little rocky, but nowhere near as many rocks as some other beaches we've been to. There was some seaweed growing in patches along the beach, but the staff rakes it up every morning and it was never a problem.

Food - We had no problem making reservations for our allotted nights. We could even have made more reservations for the a la carte restaurants depending on availability, but our kids really loved the buffet restaurant so we didn't bother trying. The buffet was pretty impressive with different theme nights and a huge selection for kids -- pasta with butter, cheese pizza, chicken nuggets, white rice, etc. And for adults, there was alway Jamaican food offered as well as a huge assortment of other dishes. We had no complaints about the food or any of the restaurants. Just be warned that the steak house on the beach is open-air so it can be pretty warm during dinner, depending on the weather. But the food was really good there.

Pool - HUGE pool. Plenty of seating in the shade or sun. Swim up bar. Lazy river. Water park for the kids behind the steak house with small water slides. The water park was never crowded so it was a nice quiet area to chill out when we needed a break from the party at the pool. It also has a guard at the gate in addition to a lifeguard and is fenced in, which was nice.

Excursions - Our kids are young so we only considered half-day options. We ended up doing a kayaking/snorkeling trip in the mangrove, which we booked through the dive shop on the beach. The boat leaves from the hotel dock and it took about 20 minutes to reach the mangrove where the waters are very calm. Our guide led our two-person kayaks through the mangrove, which was fun for all of us. Then, we took to boat to another spot and he let our family snorkel at a reef for an hour before heading back to the hotel. The water was so calm that even my 5-year-old was able to try snorkeling.
We also booked a half-day tour through a tour rep at the hotel's lobby to Dunn's River Falls. It was a lot of fun for my husband and me, but I wouldn't recommend it for the preschool crowd. It's a lot of climbing and our guide ended up carrying our youngest up many of the steeper parts. Afterward, we asked our driver to stop at Scotchies (near the falls) for some Jamaican food and we had an awesome lunch before heading back to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank TripMurray
, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share such an elaborate review of our lovely property, Iberostar Rose Hall Suites and your wonderful experience with us. We would like for you to understand exactly how important your feedback is to us as it aids in evaluating our services while helping to guide our goals and objectives.

We are very pleased to know that we were able to provide you and your family with a more than memorable vacation and furthermore that you thoroughly enjoyed our spacious suites, picturesque beach, amazing infinity pool, delicious food, lively activities and excursions and most significantly, the excellent service which you received all around our resort. Your suggestion regarding adding more children activities at the pool deck is also duly noted and will be taken into consideration.

It is hoped that having had such an enjoyable vacation, you will not hesitate to return soon. It would be a great privilege to have the opportunity to serve you again and exceed your expectations even further.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This was our third trip to Jamaica. All three trips the majority of our time was spent at Royal Decameron where we have generally been very happy. During these three trips we have spent one night at the Hilton Rose Hall...a free one day upgrade offered by the Decameron at the time, and 4 days at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites for a family wedding. This was by far the worst of our experiences and had it been our only Jamaican experience or Iberostar experience we would not be returning to either.
Almost 100% of my group's complaints are related to the staff. We met two very nice staff members in our four day stay...and that was it. We are generally not complainers but the ignorant treatment and unnecessary rules here are ridiculous. We arrived to our room being ready a few minutes late...no big deal and when I entered the room with my hands full the cleaning person was still in the room. As I passed her she asked if it was my room...obviously I agreed and she demanded that I put my card in the door to prove it to her before putting things down in my hands. She left the room shortly after and we found ants all around the coffee maker and an empty minibar..which is to be included. (it was corrected after a call to reception which did not involve and apology but an "ok") I request our bags be brought to our room and despite pointing out our bags to the bellhop and telling him he had created a stack that was incorrect he suggested I relax that he understood. Another (and very polite) bellhop arrived with the incorrect collection the first had created. He immediately suggested it did not look right since the bags did not match and corrected this promptly.
Two hours after the arrival was the wedding which was beautiful however it was postponed by rain and ended up happening during a slight sprinkle. Because of the rain the dressed chairs had been undone and all chairs needed to be dried before we could be reseated. Several of the family members helped to dry and dress the chairs with no acknowledgement from staff.
Entering the Mediterranean restaurant where the reception was held we asked for some indication as to where guests were to be seated with no clear answer and then several guests were scolded for sitting in empty tables that were not considered part of our wedding.
Unlike some of the other reviewers we were disappointed by the inactivity of the star friends...a service that we have come to enjoy....we never saw one who was not working with the kids club, no announcements about activities beginning ..etc.
Bar service was extremely slow...often three people deep at the bar with only one employee working who we were later told by a staff member (another excellent bar tender) who informed us the outfit she was wearing indicated she was still in training.
Bartenders at the pool were so extremely loud often screaming, hooting, and creating a "bell" from a metal cup and spoon that was ear splitting.
There is no truly casual option for lunch. The lunch buffet while beach side had a guard standing outside. We watched people repeatedly turned away who were coming from the beach and did not have shirt, shoes, or was damp. In addition the rule was that plates could not leave the room so even those who arrived and could have had a family member bring food to seats outside, they were not allowed.
Next was breakfast in which 3 separate times staff members deliberately bumped into me, including to step in front of me at the juice machines. No one was behind the grills to make omelets, no ketchup in sight and a waitress who walked around our table for approximately 20 minutes just straightening napkins and not offering coffee until we were on our last bites.
And finally was the day before we left when I was sitting on a lounger by the pool and had an arguement with my significant other. A staff member approached me and insisted I had too much to drink and that he needed to take me to my room. I politely responded twice and the third time he demanded by room number I needed to walk away. I then got dressed and went to dinner where I was promptly chased from a table for 4 (hoping the other two people would join me shortly) in a nearly empty dining room and being told I needed to sit at a table for 2 and could return if the rest of my party showed up. Then each time I would get up all of my things would be cleared.
Overall the experience left us feeling unwanted and overlooked. The beach, pool, room and photographers were all beautiful as well as the wedding set up and service. Except for breakfast we found the food to be above average but ultimately they would need to pay us to return.
This is not the standard for Jamaica or for Iberostar, we have stayed at the Iberostar Tucan in the past and were extremely pleased.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank AngieM507
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Management team and staff at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, please accept our sincere appreciations for choosing to be our valued guests. We would also like to express our gratitude for you taking the time to share your opinions about our resort and your experience with us. With that being said, we would like to use this opportunity to apologize and express our disappointment if you found certain aspects of our resort unsatisfactory and if we did not meet your expectations, but would like to stress that this not the typical experience of our guests. We nonetheless express our sincere regrets for any inconvenience which you may have encountered due to such.

Please note however that in the interest of the safety and security of all our guests and their property, if a guest should enter a room while the housekeeper is present and she is unfamiliar with the guest, we simply ask for validation by using your keys in the door; again, this is only to ensure the safety and security our guests and their belongings. We are also thankful that despite some setbacks, you were still able to enjoy our pool, beach, rooms and food.

We earnestly hope that your perception of our Resort was not totally tarnished as we sincerely hope that we will once again be given the opportunity to prove to you our dedication to excellent customer service and satisfaction.

Danbury
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This resort offered all it promised and more. Most important of all is the wonderful, caring, accommodating and friendly staff. They truly aspire to make this a memorable vacation. The premises: rooms, grounds and beach area are kept spotlessly clean. The food is far better than one would expect at an all-inclusive. Selections abound in choices - there is something for everyone's taste and the specialty restaurants offer variety as well. The buffet is tasteful and offers sit-down quality service. Beverages are served at the table. Special requests are honored where possible. No complaints except that we should have planned to stay longer.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DanburySusi
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management team and all the staff at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, thank you very much for your generous review of our property. It was a pleasure to learn about your satisfaction with our resort and specifically with our cleanliness, well maintained grounds, luxurious suites, delicious food and last but certainly not least, our “wonderful, caring, accommodating and friendly staff”. It would be an honor to host you again and we invite you to return very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
20.1 km away
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK