“Great Vacation without the kids!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
New Jersey
“Great Vacation without the kids!”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

It was our first vacation with out the kids and will not be our last! The place was beautiful and the staff was wonderful. ANYTHING we wanted and needed it was given to us with "no problem man" :-) Having a butler was awesome too!! The only problem were the drinks at the bar.. I love love love Malibu Rum and coke. I drink it all the time! The bars had Malibu Rum bottles but there wasn't Malibu rum inside.. "I could taste it". If I ordered Malibu Rum and coke from the one of the restaurants I got the real Malibu Rum!! So I nevered ordered my drinks from the bars.. Other than that!!! WONDERFUL!!!

Room Tip: 5315 is was our room number. think the 5000 area is very nice!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for providing feedback of your recent visit to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. It was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you. We were encouraged to hear that our resort had provided the relaxation you needed as well as exceeded your expectations with our service. We were disappointed to hear of your experience with the Malibu Rum at the Bar, It would have been helpful if you had shared your comments with the Bartender or Bars Manager, who would have been happy to open a fresh bottle of Malibu Rum for you. Please be assured that we do not substitute liquors and all the liquor served in the Restaurants, Bars and Room Service are from the same stock. To this end, it leaves us to think that perhaps the drink was not mixed to your liking and communicating with your Bartender would have rectified this.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back and we hope that you will return in the near future.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,979)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Carlisle
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We recently stayed at the Grand for our wedding from 6/5/12 - 6/12/12. We absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back!

Rooms:

We originally booked a standard room but were upgraded to an Oceanview room once we arrived since we were having our wedding there. The room was very spacious with a huge bathroom and balcony. The bed was so comfortable. The mini bar was always stocked with an assortment of Red Stripe, wine, liquor, juice, soda, and water. I would recommend bringing your own hairdryer though because you have to hold in a button to use the one provided.

Butler:

We met our butler, Rushane, on the first day and he was wonderful. We tipped him a $20 to start off with and he brought us a bottle of Absolute Vodka and Appleton Rum. He was also a lifesaver on my wedding day because I was freaking out due to nerves and he gave me a pep talk and told me to drink a Red Stripe and I would feel better lol. I decided to take his advice and he was right...I felt SO much better. Thanks Rushane! We miss you!

Food:

We tried all 4 of the specialty restaurants. Our favorite was the Japanese. We also ordered room service late at night and breakfast and it was always delicious. The lunch buffet was decent. Overall, I think the food (especially at the buffets) could use a little more flavor but it was definitely better than I expected. We especially liked the beach barbeques.

Entertainment:

We stayed at the Suites last year and found the entertainment there to be a bit overwhelming and too pushy during the day. The Star Friends at the Grand are not as pushy but still invite you to participate if you want. I did prefer the shows and entertainment at the Suites during the evening though. The Grand also has a good lobby bar and entertainment if you want a nice relaxing atmosphere. We went to the Disco a few times and loved it. There is also a beach party at the Beach resort on Thursdays and at the Suites on Saturday which we really enjoyed. Shout out to our friends at the Grand - Samantha and Candy! You ladies rock! We miss you!

Pool:

The pool is where it's at! We spent most of our time here because it is so beautiful with an awesome bar. They also had activities like the "magic carpet" and bingo which we really enjoyed. We brought our own floats to use and then just left them there. They have complimentary sunscreen at the towel hut too which was a nice touch.

Beach:

We are used to the beaches in Negril but the beach here was decent enough. They have plenty of loungers and shade available. The water was calm and clear. I just wish it was longer for walks but it was also nice that they didn't have vendors hassling you like in Negril.

Spa: We all got our hair done at the spa on the wedding day and they did a fantastic job!

Gym: We went to the gym a few times. They have plenty of cardio equipment and free weights but not really enough room to use the free weights or do an ab workout. It served its purpose though.

Wedding:

I will start off by saying that this is definitely the right resort for a wedding, especially if you are bringing a large group. It's very close to the airport, adults-only (instead of couples only) which is great if you have some single friends, and there is so much for everyone to do. The communication process with the resort was way too stressful so I would recommend hiring a local wedding planner in Jamaica to assist with this. I found Sadeki from Chic-Events a few months before my wedding and wish I had hired her sooner! She is truly amazing and made it so much easier for me. Her prices are reasonable too. You can contact her at: sales@chic-eventsja.com. Janielle is the actual wedding coordinator at the resort and while I've seen a lot of good reviews of her, I really can't say I had the best experience with her. She was very slow to respond to my e-mails and wouldn't fully answer my questions. I wanted to have a buffet at my wedding reception and the prices are based on 30-50 people and then it increases by $1,500 for 51-75 people. Well, I of course, had 51 people and tried to get them to budge on this extra $1,500 for MONTHS! They didn't budge until I actually arrived to the hotel 3 days prior to my wedding which really pissed me off because people have to budget for weddings and I really had no idea if they were actually going to let it go. It was just more stressful than it needed to be. I also wanted to extend my reception for an extra hour and was told that I would have to pay the staff $250 in cash to pay for their transportation home!!! I still don't understand it. The worst part is that she provided me with an updated invoice a few days before the wedding but the $250 wasn't on it so I forgot to pay it prior to the wedding and she had the NERVE to come up to my new husband and I during our wedding reception at 9:30PM and demanded we pay $250 in cash before 10PM. TOTALLY UNPROFESSIONAL! She could have asked before or waited until the next day instead of asking us during our special time. We didn't have that much cash on us so we had to open up a wedding card from one of our guests to get the money. It was just very rude in my opinion. We also wanted to get appetizers for our cocktail hour but were told we had to get an open bar AND appetizers ($25 per person) and not one or the other. We were not going to do this since the lobby bar was about 10 feet away and our guests already paid to be at an all-inclusive resort. To top it off, she never once followed up with us after the wedding AND she forgot to give us back half of our things before we left the resort for our honeymoon. Thank goodness my outside wedding coordinator was able to gather the stuff and get it to us. Other than that, the wedding really was amazing and I wouldn't have changed a thing. Our guests had a great time!

We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank SJ4680
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your feedback on your Wedding. We were especially pleased to hear that our rooms, butler service, spa service, pool, food and entertainment activities enhanced the quality of your stay. The Iberostar Grand Rose Hall puts great emphasis on the planning of a flawless wedding experience for our brides. Based on the comments in your review we wanted to clarify some pertinent points.

- Your wedding held on June 9, 2012 was part of our special promotion for a free Wedding up to 10 guests, Including Pastor, Flowers, and Boutonnieres
- As per your Wedding Agreement, under this free package you would have been required to $20.00 per each additional guest.
- We generously offered you a flat rate of $3,000 for 30 – 50 guests, which would include an open Buffet and an open bar.
- You had then indicated that you had 51 persons in your wedding party and in the interest of good customer relations, and with the approval of Management, when we met with you, we waived the
extra person charge, namely because all your guests were already guests of the Grand.
- When our Wedding Coordinators met with you, in what we call the Wedding Interview, it was explained to you that the wedding reception has a cut-off time at 10:00 p.m. In the Interview, we stressed that if the reception should exceed 10:00 p.m. there would be an additional $250.00 charge to be paid in cash due and payable on the same night to cover the additional costs of the Staff, e.g. their transportation. Nevertheless we sincerely regret to have made you feel uncountable in approaching to you and remind you about this charge and likewise appreciate your observation so we can take it in consideration in the future.

Our Wedding planning process relies on open communication, and the provision of timely information to our Brides. Your wedding file is attests to our many communications with you. Our Resort is grateful for the opportunity to have shared in your special day, and remain committed to our guests’ overall satisfaction. We invite you to come again soon, as it would be a pleasure to serve you on future vacations or to share in your Anniversary memories.

TheRanj
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Recently spent a week at the Grand with my wife and what an experience...I'm not sure if all Iberostar's are like this or just the Grand at Montego Bay but we absolutely loved this place and couldn't recommend it higher. We've stayed at Sandal's previously and Riu Palace. This place blows away the Riu, and I would put it on par with Sandals if not higher in some aspects. We got there on a Monday and noticed it seemed quite dead, but by Thursday you could tell that a lot of tourists were coming in for Memorial Day weekend...the pool area was always packed from this point on but everything else wasn't (surprisingly)...definitely will be trying out Iberostar again in the future!

Pro's:
-Friendly staff...for example, Dave at the breakfast (omlette) station recognized me on Tuesday as being new, and still knew my name on Sunday when we went for our last breakfast
-Excellent rooms - we had the "basic" room and it was quite nice, a suite with a huge deck and a huge washroom
-Food - We tried each of the restaurants once at the Grand and the Mexican restaurant at the Suites next door. The Steakhouse had the best food, but the Teppanyaki and Italian were quite nice as well. My wife wasn't a big fan of the gourmet restaurant ("too gourmet"), and the Mexican restaurant next door was not bad
-Pool - other than the issue of getting a daybed (see below), the pool area was great and kept clean by the staff.
-Drinks - I tried to have one of everything while I was there and almost succeeded...my favorite was the Blue Hawaii at the Piano Bar
-Entertainment - there were lots of pool games during the day and the Piano Bar was a good hangout every night with music, singing etc. The concerts at 10 PM looked quite nice but we never made it to those so can't comment
-You also get access to the Suites and the Rose Hall further down...we went to the Suites one day for dinner and they also had a lazy river which would've been nice but we never made it for that
-There was a nice rose petal scent throughout the resort...took us a day or two to figure it out, but they have lighted oils all over the place to give it a fresh scent...this was a nice touch compared to the Riu we stayed at previously that didn't do this

Con's:
-Having to be at the pool by 7 AM to get a covered daybed - so many people put their towels out and walked away for a few hours...very annoying. On the last day they had someone out at 630 AM telling people they had to stay with their towels, I don't think he actually removed anyone's towels that didn't listen to him...this is an issue everywhere though and not just here
-Gym was a bit small considering that the Grand & Suites both share the same gym

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheRanj
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your warm recommendation of our property. We were ecstatic to learn that our service, food, drinks, entertainment and the layout of our rooms met your high expectations. Measures have been put in place to remove the towels that have been left on the Beach chairs to “hold chairs” for a long period. We are regretful to learn that this affected your stay, and we will be making every effort to strictly adhere to the policy.

We look forward to serving you again and hope that you will return in the very near future.

N. Virginia
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This was our 2nd stay at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall and I must say it just gets better and better. Now in all fairness nothing is perfect, but this place and it's staff give it their best shot. Myself and two girlfriends stayed there from 8Jun-12Jun. And WE HAD A BALL!!! ;)

I pre-arranged our rooms and some of our dinner reservations about a week before arriving by emailing: pr.grand@iberostar.com.jm. They CAN NOT guarantee room assignments but they will do their best and THEY DID! I have to thank them for this. Thank you Jo-Dane and Angellie for your EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Let me start with my 1 and only complaint. We had 2 butler's: Wheeler and Okein(sp?). Wheeler was pretty good. But Okein was M.I.A. He came to the room to introduce himself and then poof, like magic he never showed his face again. Our other butler's had to track him down to tell him to come see us and he STILL never came. I would like management to know that this guy is not an asset to your wonderful resort. But Wheeler and especially Darwin is a master at being a butler. He is THE BEST!

OK, now on to PERFECTION:

ACTIVITIES: There is plenty to do here. The Star friends are always coming up with fun and exciting ways to entertain you, from beach volley ball to bingo there is something for everyone. Ask them about the "Magic Carpet"...Yeah, I ran on that too...so dang on fun. But the STAR FRIENDS are just that, STARS! I love those guys. Shout out to Lucky, Stew Balls, Candy, Diva and the rest of the gang. I had soooo much fun with everyone.

ENTERTAINMENT: The shows were OK. The "Disco Nights" and "Reggae Night" shows was the best one. The other ones were a little too slow for me, not that they were bad just not my taste. Plus they are still working on repairing the AC in the theater. I was told that they are awaiting a part that's coming from some other country. I don't know but the staff did their best to cool things off with fans. So I give them that much. They are always righting any wrongs that do on. That's what I LOVE about this resort. They REALLY DO CARE and try their best to accommodate!

The DISCO is ALL THAT!!! The DJ will keep you rockin' all night. We went Fri, Sat, Sun, AND Mon. Monday was the slowest though. But the other days were fun and the place was packed!

FOOD: What can I say. I GAINED 5lbs on my trip...LOL That says a lot. I ate so much. The food is pretty good and there is so much of it. Some folks complained that they didn't have enough beach BBQ's but if you go over to the Suites, they have them as well.

TIP: Ask your Butler to fill you in on the times of ALL the beach BBQ's at each resort and then show up and enjoy. We went to a beach BBQ(at the Suites), a pool BBQ and a paleo bbq cooking class on the beach at the Grand.

The a-la-carte restaurants are great. The first time I went I tried them all but this time we ate at the Japanese twice and the Italian. FOOD WAS EXCELLENT! Loved Ching, Ching our chef at the Japanese...he is so talented and cooks so well. Try the lamb chops and the risotto at the Italian.

Shout out to Chef Roma too who always walked around the pool area talking with everyone and bringing out fresh fruit. She's just so pleasant.

ROOM SERVICE: I used it for breakfast most mornings and it was on time and good. I also called them late night for a hamburger and fries after getting in from the disco and once each time it was on time and good.

If you don't want to eat in your room late night, go over to the restaurant at the suites. It stays open pretty much all night and you can grab a late night snack there as well. They will grill you steak or chicken and it's GOOD!

DRINKS: TOP SHELF ALL DAY! I loved having drinks on the Grand's hotel patio by the lobby bar overlooking the pool, The cigar lounge served up some great drinks too. Christopher was the man. He made me some excellent Greygoose Cosmo martini's.

TIP: I would usually stop at the Cigar Lounge and take a couple shots of Greygoose with me to the disco because they don't serve top shelf liquor at the disco because it's located in the suites not the GRAND. You will notice a lot of differences between the GRAND and the other resorts, trust me. But they are still nice, just not GRAND! ;)

POOL BAR: They keep the drinks flowing at this place. The pool bar was so much fun. My man Morris Day was the highlight at the pool bar. As soon as he came out, it was a SHOW! He really knows how to liven things up. Ask him to make you an oatmeal cookie shot. That was so good. Try the Jamaican Smile too if you want a good frozen drink.

WINE: The wine is very good at the restaurants. They had both good reds and whites that were comparable to a good Merlot, Pinot Grigio, Chianti and Malbec. I was impressed with the wine for an all inclusive. .Just ask your waiter staff and they can find you a great choice.

ROOMS: Spacious, clean, and perfect. I loved the jacuzzi tub. My butler, Wheeler had drawn me a nice bubble bath with rose petals. It was so relaxing after a loooong "hard" day of laying out at the beach and pool! The patio in the room is just wonderful I even fell asleep on the swing out there one night. That was some great sleep. ;) The BEDS are awesome too. You will sleep like a baby. ;)

SPA SERVICE: I had a beach massage and I tell you it was HEAVENLY. Please get one if you go. You will not regret it.

I TRULY LOVE THIS RESORT and RECOMMEND it to everyone who wants to feel like a STAR! I'm booking another trip for October of this year. YA MON! See ya soon, IBEROSTAR GRAND! ;)

Room Tip: Higher floor on the 5200 floor. That way you would get DARWIN as your BUTLER. He is the BEST!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Coco129
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review. We were thrilled to learn that we had once again met your high expectations. It is always a pleasure to welcome back Repeat Guests, and more so to see how you evaluate our services. Your evaluation assists us in knowing what improvements or changes we need to make as well as to alert us as to what aspects of our service enhanced your stay.

Your recommendations concerning our staff, entertainment activities, food and beverages, restaurants, butler service and spa service was motivating to our team. Please also be assured that your comments regarding your inconsistent Butler service was also noted and we will speak with the Butler you mentioned. We are indeed waiting on parts to address our air conditioning system in the public areas including the theatre, but we are grateful for your understanding of this situation.

It would be an honor to host you again on a third visit, so we ask that you not hesitate in choosing the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall for your next vacation.

Erial, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We had a wonderful time celebrating Leah & Kehinde's destination wedding. All the amenities were absolutely outstanding. I will definitely consider returning again.....wonderful experience! A special THANK YOU to Lisa Zwissler who was our travel consultant....she did a fantastic job!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank turners_0612
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. The Iberostar Grand Rose Hall aims to provide guests with an enjoyable stay and warm memories. To this end, it was most encouraging to learn that you had enjoyed the wedding you attended as well as your time spent with us. We trust that you will return soon and not hesitate to think of us, when next you are planning your vacation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
12.0 km away
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK