“April 15 - 22 2012”

GreenLeadersGold level
Grimsby, Canada
“April 15 - 22 2012”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This was our second trip to Iberostar Grand in Montego Bay, the first being in May 2010. Excellent to say the least. Charming, warm and sincere staff. Kennesha (on the beach) remembered us! Donovan (Conceirge/Butler) T.O. (StarFriends), Kennesha (Waitress on the beach) Clive (behind the Bar) are excellent! We definately will recommend and will definately return! From the luxurious accomodations, to the exquisite dining - a true Grand retreat.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DiscoStu71
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. We were pleased to know that you were satisfied with the service of our staff, quality of our accommodations, and dining options. We appreciate hearing from our Special Repeat Guests so we can evaluate whether we have continued to serve you efficiently.

It is hoped that you will now consider us as your “Jamaican Home-away-from Home” and will not hesitate to visit us again, as it would be a great privilege to serve you again.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,979)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 2 May 2012

My fiance and I just got back from the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. It was recommended to us by a couple of friends who loved the Suites next door. We have actually already booked our wedding date for next year and put a deposit down on our photographer, but unfortunately we'll be cancelling with the resort. The resort itself is fine, but it's really all in the details. The hotel needs some work - the carpets need to be cleaned in the worst way (we're talking spills and stains, not dirt from foot traffic), the walls need to be patched and painted. The place looks like it's falling apart.

Our room was fine - we were actually upgraded to an ocean-front suite when Natalie found out we were there for our wedding site visit - and the staff working for tips was very friendly. The other staff that we interacted with, such as those at that pool concierge, were not particularly pleasant or helpful.

Beware, as well (and I understand this is not a resort problem, but a guest problem - the pool concierge begins handing out towels at 7 am. We found out the hard way that guests go out at 7 to grab towels and save the good seats (read: the seats that get the best sun and those near the swim-up bar). Then, the seats sit empty for several hours. The front desk staff advised that this happens and if they see a guest disappear from the pool or beach grounds, the items and/or towels are to be removed after 15 minutes, however the pool concierge basically laughed when I mentioned that. Their timeframe is closer to two hours. Again, I understand that's not the hotel's fault but it's frustrating to see 20 chairs in prime sun that aren't being used at 10 or 11 in the morning, I will caution, again, relating to the pool, that if you elect to buy sunscreen, you can only do so at the gift shop and a bottle is $28. The pool concierge does have sunscreen - basic brands and SPFs - that they put out at 10 am. We took advantage the second day after exhausting our purchased bottle of sunscreen the first day.

The more concerning thing for us, considering we are planning a wedding for 70 people next year, was that upon arrival we were told that all of the a la carte restaurants were booked until the last night of our stay. Even when we did get into the Japanese restaurant on a cancellation that evening, the services was rushed, the food was subpar, and the restaurant WAS NOT full. The second evening we ordered room service - the food arrived close to an hour after we placed our order and it was not warm. We did order room service the following day (club sandwiches) and were again disappointed, as were we with the Galleon (Surf & Turf) restaurant. Another note: lobster went out of season mid-April so while there is lobster on the menu, they substitute for shrimp. I will say that the breakfast buffet - while a buffet - met my expectations in that there was a wide variety of anything you could possibly imagine for breakfast along with granola bars and other snacks for you to take with you in the beach bag. Drinks were never lagging and the top shelf beverages were a nice touch (for me - I'm a vodka drinker) though they do not have whiskey which was a disappointment to my fiance.

All in all, we will not be back to this resort and I regret the $2,500 we spent on airfare and accomodations. The sub-par quality of food really sealed the deal for us, although the disrepair of the facility also made us feel like we were in less than a 4.5-5 star resort - not a feeling we want our guests to walk away with.

9 Thank Jessica R
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review. We would like to express our sincere apology for your disappointing stay and wanted to address those issues which were mentioned individually as follows:

- There is one Block that the carpet in the Hallway needs replacing. This re-carpeting exercise will be done in the very near future, we had intended to do it earlier this year, but occupancy did not allow as the Block would have to be closed.
- As it pertains to persons saving chairs by the pool, this is a regular challenge of hotels, we do try to move items periodically but cannot guarantee that you will always have the chair of your choice, especially during periods when the hotel is fully booked.
- We carry the entire range of Hawaian Tropic Sunscreens complimentarily including their Dark Tanning Oil, SPF 50, SPF 30 and SPF 15, and also provide Aloe Vera Gel for persons who might have forgotten theirs.
- As it concerns your wedding, when you met with us on April 29, 2012, we explained that April 21 – June 30 Annually marks the close of the Lobster Season in Jamaica. It is illegal to harvest lobster or serve it during that period, hence we could not serve Lobster if your wedding was to be held during that time.
- You had also asked about reservations with our Restaurant that same evening and we explained that the Restaurant was fully booked. Fortunately you were able to dine since someone had cancelled. Please note though that, each A la Carte Restaurant caters to a specific number each day, this is done so the Kitchen can make their necessary plans. If we tried to ignore the limit of the Kitchen it would mean persons who made later reservations, would be inconvenienced. We do invite persons to do bookings for the restaurants and golf about a week before arrival, by emailing pr.grand@iberostar.com.jm
- We offer a wide range of Whiskeys, namely, Johnny Walker (Red & Black), Jim Beam, Canadian Club, Chivas Regal, Jack Daniels, Glenfiddich (12 yrs), Crown Royal, and Dewar’s so we are not sure if you had asked.
- We apologize for the food being sub-par in your estimation and would have liked if you had requested to speak with our Executive Chef who would have been happy to cater to your particular taste and to correct whatever problems you would have identified.

We wish you all the very best with your wedding planning and should you need any further wedding information from us, feel to contact our Wedding Planner at weddings.grand@iberostar.com.jm. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again and show you our usual warm hospitality and personalized service.

Best regards,

mystic
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My husband and I recently spent our wedding and honeymoon at the Grand, and it couldn’t have been better! My only regret is not jotting down more names of the people who helped to make every aspect of the trip unforgettable because there are so many worth mentioning. The woman at the front desk at the Suites made it a point to come over and personally help each of our guests as they arrived throughout the first day. They held our welcome bags for us and offered upgrades. Even the man who drove us over to the Grand was friendly and made an impact.

ROOMS: Very spacious, huge balcony with the swing and couch/table set. Every room has a great view (some obviously closer to the ocean than others). All of the grounds at the Grand are beautiful so you really can’t go wrong. His and Hers sinks with different toiletries. Awesome large shower head and spacious bath tub with jets. There was definitely ample closet space including shelving. Normally I don’t even unpack on a trip, let alone use the closets, but we had a lot of wedding and special dinner attire. The room was always a comfortable temperature. The mini bar was always stocked with beer, water, and juice along with Doritos and Lays. If it is not to your liking then the butlers are more than happy to accommodate you. We were able to get a bottle of Absolut since I love my vodka & Red Stripe Lights.

FOOD: I really enjoyed pretty much everything that I ate here and at the Suites. Even the popcorn at the lobby bar was delicious. The buffets were very good and there was something for everyone including an omelet station and plenty of fresh fruit and fruit juices during breakfast. For lunch the buffet is also enjoyable, but they have different beach cook-outs during a lot of days. AMAZING JERK CHICKEN TACOS by the pool… We got room service almost every morning and it was always very prompt…also such a nice touch to be able to have your breakfast outside on the balcony! We didn’t try all of the restaurants, but I can speak very highly of everything that I did eat. I think that people ordered the wrong items at the Italian restaurant because I loved it, especially the lobster risotto and the osso bucco. They served a delicious amuse-bouche and waiter even brought us over his favorite dish in addition to the food we ordered. The Japanese restaurant would have been fun if the other people at our hibachi were into it at all. The food was very good; I would go lighter on the butter though. The Surf and Turf was awesome (they did a perfect job on our wedding dinner). We tried the Mexican restaurant at the Suites and my snapper was delicious.

BAR AND DRINKS: We drank at a few of the bars at the Grand. They have a great selection of premium liquor, and the bartenders are always glad to make you their own specialties or favorites if you are indecisive. The pool bar was great and while we were hanging out in the water we would just grab our drinks there. While we were lounging around the pool or at the beach servers were always coming around for drink orders. We sat at the Cigar Bar one night before dinner and enjoyed chatting with the bartender Christopher. Our routine included trips to the lobby bar after a long hard day by the pool for espresso martinis and other concoctions mixed by Yolanda. She is normally a cocktail waitress, but was helping out at the bar since they needed a lot of people out by the pool. She made a great drink and we always looked forward to visiting and talking with her. We also had a good time talking to Raquel (sp.?) one day so shout out to her.

BEACH/POOL: We didn’t spend too much time on the beach, but there were many chairs and some beds. The water was very warm. We did spend plenty of time in the infinity pool. It was great. As others have mentioned, you do need to put a towel out if you would like a chair right around the pool.

ENTERTAINMENT/MISC.: We didn’t take part in much, but there is always something to do. They have volleyball, bocce ball, horseshoes, etc. every day. The star friends will let you know about the games, but they weren’t too pushy and respect the fact that most people just want to sit back and relax. We used the gym a few times while we were there, and never had a problem getting an elliptical/treadmill. There is a small game room with some slot machines. Every night they have a show in the theatre. If it doesn’t appeal to you then check out what they have going on at the suites. We popped into a few shows and definitely enjoyed them. If sitting back and relaxing in the lobby is more appealing, they have entertainment in each lobby also. We enjoyed karaoke one night with some friends, but I wish that more people had participated! Since we went with friends we spent some time at the disco and always had a good time. The atmosphere can really change nightly though so it can feel like a small basic club or an extreme intense nightclub. We liked both. If you would rather get pampered then the spa is also very nice. I got a great mani/pedi for the wedding, probably one of the best I have ever had. She even personally put my shoes back on for me since they were tricky. My hair for the wedding also came out perfect and I got a ton of compliments; I believe Jean did this. I am so bad with names! We also had a couple’s massage which was very good, but I am just not a massage person!

WEDDING: I will try to keep this brief, and go into more detail elsewhere. It was beyond perfect for us. I am not a super high-maintenance person, but I have opinions and some things are important to me. Janielle always responded to my emails and answered all of my questions. As the wedding got closer we corresponded more often about details. I had read so many good reviews that I never stressed out about the fact that I was planning a wedding via email. Once we actually arrived to the resort and met with her it was evident that she and her assistant were keeping right on top of everything. The day ran smoothly and everything was beautiful from the ceremony right through to the bon fire. I would highly recommend the Grand for those interested in a destination wedding. They never have more than 1 wedding in a day so that they can really focus on you.

4 Thank stephanie t
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Guest:

Allow us to express our sincere thanks to you and your husband for choosing our Resort as the host of your Wedding and Honeymoon. We were ecstatic to learn that we had met all your needs and that you had an enjoyable time. It was so kind of you to have noted the names of those staff who all contributed to making your Wedding and your Honeymoon the success that it so obviously was. Your specific mention of the luxuriously appointed rooms, food, Bars and Drinks, Beach/Pool, and Entertainment options were also greatly appreciated.

We have tried to create Wedding packages that cater to discerning Brides and to create a more personalized wedding planning experience, which includes timely communication and being available to discuss personal preferences. We are certain that your review will be helpful to other Brides who are considering our property for their Destination Wedding and your glowing recommendation is proof once again that the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall is the Resort of Choice for Weddings.

It would be our pleasure to host you again, and hope that our Resort will be foremost in your minds when planning your Anniversary.

Quincy, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Im not usually one to write reviews but with the experience my husband and I had here i felt compelled to let everyone know how amazing this place is! We had chosen the Grand Rose Hall to host our wedding ceremony and everything was just perfect from our welcoming to our departure we had not one complaint! Janielle made the process of planning my wedding from thousands of miles away seamless. Everything was just as I had imagined it would be. Our butlers Darwin and Randy were amazing. They had such a unique way of working with us to make us feel as though we were the only guests at the resort!! The bar tenders Dewayne, O'Neil and Clive in the lobby bar were phenominal and introduced us to some new local drinks and we shared great conversations about their culture which was mind opening. Anything we needed or anything we wanted was made easily available. I almost forgot who I was and where I came from. We are currently trying to plan our next visit! The relationships we made there were ones we will never forget. Thanks again for making such an important chapter in our lives completely unforgetable.

One Love,
Donny and Cassie
Room 5229 :)

Room Tip: I would say the best way to have a great room would be oceanfront BUT you also should find out which...
1 Thank Cassandra H
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your delightful review with other prospective Brides and other travelers. We feel honored to have been the hosts of your recent nuptials. Your kind words regarding the service you received from our Wedding Team was also encouraging. We continue to be proud of our Wedding Team who have consistently organized flawless weddings. As you described, all our Wedding packages, include personalized wedding planning and our Wedding Coordinators are available for our Brides’ every need. Your recognition of our Butlers and Bartenders was also noted and we have no doubt that they will be motivated by the fact that you remembered their names.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you will consider us as your Resort of Choice for your Anniversary.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The staff is still Grand but the hotel itself needs some improvement. We found a rather large waterbug (around 9 ft long) LOL in the bathroom and the next moring another one by the half wall. We did complain and our room was changed. We did receive a lovely dish of chocolate and a letter of apology. It was my husbands birthday and they decorated the room, drew a bath, had a chilled bottle of champagne waiting for us after dinner. Please take note that there is NO lobster during April, May & June due to a law that was passed in 1975.

Room Tip: one w/o waterbugs
4 Thank stu-nodd-cuzin
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time on your return home to review our property. It was a pleasure to have hosted you a second time. We were disappointed to learn that you encountered waterbugs, especially since this is not the norm. Perhaps this was due to the recent rainy weather, nevertheless, we apologize wholeheartedly for that experience.

As of April 21 – June 30 annually It is illegal to harvest or serve Lobster in Jamaica, this is an environmental protective measure to protect the Lobsters. We hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again to show you our usual warm hospitality and personalized service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
12.0 km away
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK