All reviews half board north tyne country hotels river view hadrian's wall some tlc restaurant staff bar meals superior room lovely setting plenty of hot water steam room chesters roman fort kippers short break leisure club enjoyable stay
Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

We have just had the most amazing weekend at the George for or weekend. The venue and location were prefect. The staff were very attentive and everything went so smoothly. Dora and Alex were amazing in the organisation and ensuring everything was as we wanted. Lewis was fab behind the bar and Banyu as the chef was unreal. Definatley recommended!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane S
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2018

Hi Jane

Thank you for your kind words.
It was a pleasure to take part of your big day and we enjoyed as much as you did (if not more)!
I hope to see you soon in the hotel and we can catch up with a nice coffee.

Reviewed 16 April 2018

My daughter and I stayed at The George whilst on a coach holiday with Shearings. The only good things I can say about this hotel are its stunning location and one very kind waitress. I understand that some rooms had been updated - unfortunately, ours was not one of these. It was generally grubby, the basin was very badly cracked, the remote for the TV was so filthy we would not use it until my daughter had sat and cleaned it using face cleansing wipes. But the main problem was the lack of cold water. The water in all the taps in the bathroom ran very, very hot water. We arrived after 10 hours travelling to find we couldn't even clean our teeth, let alone use the shower or bath. Reception were no help at all to the point of rudeness. The receptionist said she couldn't do anything about it but would leave a note for Maintenance. We were told to go to the bar and ask for water! I asked if we could change rooms and was told there were none free which I find surprising in April. At the bar, an off duty waitress overheard and was appalled at our situation. She ran to the kitchen and returned with two large jugs full of water for us. The following day it was slightly better as the water was sometimes hot and sometimes cold! Each morning I boiled water in the kettle, waited until it cooled and poured it into a jug in order for us to have water to drink. Had there been any other accommodation in the area, I think I would have paid to move.

Room Tip: Make sure the room has been updated.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank scarnoldml

Hi Scarnoldml

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I sadly read that the hotel did not meet your expectations.
I do agree with you, some of the rooms a bit dated and in need of a refurbishment which we are having at the end of this year.
We work hard behind the scenes to make sure that the hotel gets its well deserved attention so we can keep guests happy.

The hot water issue was an issue for us as well, due we could not fix it and needed a plumber to attend site. I am sure that reception explained that we could not deal with the problem there and then. My receptionist are very good but I am afraid I haven't thought them how to fix plumbing issues :) We rely on contractors from the area and unfortunately they aren't on a 24 hour call. :(
She sent you to the bar for free water bottles for you to use during these problems.

I am sorry that you had a bad stay, hopefully we can see you again with a lot of cold water.

Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Hmm Having walked 15 miles through mud; rain; sleet and snow we arrived at our ‘posh’ destination with our two dirty dogs and were disappointed with the welcome we got, we were embarrassed and there was nowhere to clean the dogs. We derobed ourselves of rucksacks; dirty boots; wet waterproofs and dried our dogs off in the porch entrance. We eventually entered the foyer and were asked would we like use of the pool and gym .... err no, I did ask if they got many ramblers in but the Receptionist didnt appear to know what a rambler was. Having checked in we were then told to access our room we could go outside and round the back, not helpful as we had just taken our boots off! They did give us an alternative route indoors thankfully. In the room we were disappointed our luggage was not there, I rang down only to be told ‘yes its here in reception’. Eventually they did bring this up for us, for which we were so grateful. We went to dinner at 6.55pm and were back in our room at 7.35pm - food was lovely - staff not particularly friendly and we didnt get our ‘much needed’ drink until our main course arrived. Having been in the catering industry and ran a Hotel I just think this Hotel lacked warmth and hospitality. Maybe its not the normal destination for the Hadrian’s Wall walkers, and possibly in normal holiday circumstances it would have been lovely. It was in a beautiful setting on the river with lovely grounds.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank CarolIan

Hi Carollan

Thank you for your time to post this review.
Unfortunately we have no facilities to clean dogs, except for one tap on the outside of the building or some buckets available with some water, I am not sure what kind of facilities you referring for the dogs.
The rooms could be accessible 2 ways, we offer the quickest one first to save you walking up and down in the building as it is quite a walk on the inside through the corridors.
The luggage does not get delivered to the bedroom due the baggage transfer people just leave it at reception (sometimes do not even tell us if it is here) as neither of us need to be signing for the bags. It has always been like this but I am sorry if you felt it should have been dealt by us better.
Again, thank you for taking the time to post this review and maybe see you again in the future.

Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Just spent 2 nights at this hotel and enjoyed it. £71 per night b&b. Lovely leisure facilities although steam room was too hot for me and i,m used to them. Bedroom clean and tidy with newly refurbished bathroom. Excellent breakfast with a good cjoice. Very helpful and friendly staff. Will be back soon.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Hi Stig 1955

Thank you or taking the time to post your review.
Thank you for your kind words and hopefully see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2018

Lovely stay. Friendly staff. Views to die for. Good food. Can't wait to stay again, highly recommended. Would definitely be going back, fab stay, lovely room. Good facilities. Well worth every penny..

Room Tip: Best views
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank amyhamil2n
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Hi amyhamil2n

Thank you for your kind words, music to my ears!
I am glad that you had an amazing stay, we try to please everyone.
Happy Birthday from me as well, not sure if I saw you on the day.

Hope to see you again soon

All the best