All reviews her husband the owner great atmosphere for sale unique experience spent nights norway trip local food highlight of our trip great view homemade jams minute drive the barn own garden sausage sit down common table
Reviewed 24 August 2016

This is one of my all time favourite places to stay ever! Beautiful location, views and rooms, exceptional hosts, unbelievable food and sociable mixing with fellow guests from all over the world. If you're a foodie socialite who loves natural beauty, then you (like me) will be in heaven there. Bypass Bergen, and head to here (via Voss Active rafting!) and you'll be in for a treat you'll never forget. Please don't all rush to book and leave me no space to return though! Surrounded by inspirational art and space, this would be an excellent location for a writing working-vacation. Be warned though, this place will ruin you for other hotels on your trip.

Room Tip: I suggest requesting a fjord view, but am sure all the rooms will be beautiful there.
1  Thank JosieJosieJo
Reviewed 23 August 2016

Based on great reviews here and on booking.com, we expected a wonderful stay. But it was better than advertised. The room was lovely and very comfortable. The location was beautiful. And the grounds, complete with affectionate alpacas, were terrific. But what puts BesteBakken over the top is its force-of-nature proprietor, Lindis, and the atmosphere she creates. From her sumptuous dinners served at large communal tables, to the fantastic breakfasts that include moose and reindeer meat among the many offerings, to the Lindis-made toiletries in the bathrooms, this place is simply a cut above. At meals we had many fascinating conversations with guests from all over the world, which only further enhanced the experience. If you're looking for a place to stay around the Sognefjord, I can't imagine a more perfect spot.

Reviewed 19 August 2016 via mobile

Wonderful stay here. The room was beautiful and the food was outstanding. I recommend taking the evening meal. Even though I'm gluten free and vegan, they accommodated my needs (give them plenty of notice) and the food was delicious. I wish we could have stayed longer. It's a perfect location for relaxing after a day exploring the region.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2016

I highly recommend staying at this B&B, especially for foodies. The hosts are welcoming and offer an exquisite and authentic Norwegian experience. The rooms are newly refurbished with traditional Norwegian (four poster) bed. The room was clean and homely with nice soap, shampoo, body scrub and cream.These items are also sold in the hosts' small shop. The room was a little on the warm side but we should have opened the windows more widely. I'm sure it would be very cosy and warm in winter. The views from the room and B&B grounds are beautiful. It is a very relaxing place with a nice lobby and and grounds with outdoor seating. They have pet alpacas also.

We accidentally came across this place - we originally wanted to stay closer to the ferry at Kaupanger for an early start the next day but there wasn't much that was inviting given our late booking. The B&B is a 20-30 minute drive from the Ferry and probably 10 minutes from Songdal so ideally located for something else other than the standard 'city' accommodation. The food is the highlight when you stay here. The hosts offer a 3 course set menu and all ingredients and sourcing is explained. The sourcing and preparation is very thoughtful and professional - only the best is sourced - from the best potatoes, meat and fish and a lot of their ingredients are from their organic garden. The explanation is done in a balanced way and is very interesting. There were some younger children at our table (aged approximately 10-11) and the hosts were very good with them and shared some additional interesting facts about how the food was caught. Everyone dines together and it is surprisingly not awkward - people quite quickly get to know each other and it's a nice way to share travel ideas and tips. Wines/beverages are extra but reasonably priced for good quality wines. I would highly recommend staying here. The hosts also gave us some critical tips for our onward journey and highly recommended the mountain road rather than the tunnel which was superb advice given the stunning views.

Perfect for a night and whatever you think of the price - it is very good value for money. Others stayed here for a few nights to go hiking locally and to spend some time rowing on the river at the bottom of the hillside.

Reviewed 6 August 2016

Pulled up to this B & B and immediately fell in love with the surroundings and the house. It's located in a quaint town of Hafslo, up on a hill so you get a picturesque view of the town and the fjord below. We stayed 2 nights, and staying here was one of the highlights of my 9 day Norway trip, and it was exactly what I was looking for. The main house is so charming, with a large seating area, 2 dining rooms and several nooks to relax or lounge in. The outside large patio behind the house is beautiful. It has views to the adorable Alpacas on the property, and to the beautiful hillside of trees and flowers. The second guesthouse where we stayed was lovely. Very spacious room, well decorated, great bathroom/shower and bath products. We stayed on the second floor with view of the town and fjord. The only bummer was that the jacuzzi was not working when we visited, but hopefully it will get fixed. Breakfast was included, and it was delicious. The hostess Lindis, explained to us it was a "Christmas Breakfast." All I can say, there was every kind of jam, jellies, homemade breads, fish, meats, cheeses and wonderful combinations of jams paired with spices. I especially loved the pear jam with licorice! She even made up her own juice, which my husband loved. It was sit down formal, however, Lindis and her family made you feel very at ease and comfortable. Dinner was not included, but I would highly recommend at least having one (or maybe more if you are there) dinner there. Our meal consisted of soup, a tasty piece of fish, with pureed peas and potatoes, and then a fabulous cream cheese/ice cream dessert. Everything was homemade and delicious. The meals are served in the dining rooms, with opportunity to meet other people who are traveling, so it was nice to make new friends. Landis gently controls who you sit with, however she is a master at pairing people together to get the maximum benefit of interaction and enjoyment while dining. I was afraid that I wasn't dressed formally enough, however, what you wear was not an issue. Some folks dressed casually, others appeared in their hiking clothes from a long journey on the road, and others dressed up a bit more. You can also ask to dine outside in the backyard at separate tables if you prefer your own company, but make sure you ask in advance. We had scheduled to go kayaking in a nearby town which was only 15 minutes away by car. I had to pack my own drink and food for lunch for this excursion, and Lindis offered her own thermos for me to take with which she filled with hot tea. So thoughtful! So in a nutshell, comfy beds, nicely decorated themed rooms, delicious food, beautiful location, adorable Alpacas, and fabulous hostess and family. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: I emailed the owner and requested a particular room. Owner makes great effort to accommodate.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple