“Solitude refined!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pondicherry
Gratitude, a Heritage Home
Ranked #3 of 147 Pondicherry B&B and Inns
Mumbai, India
“Solitude refined!”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

If you want to be far from crowds, this is a place to stay, a heritage home indeed, due care is given by the management to ensure pristine clean rooms and a meditative silence with early morning chants and instructions on due care of this beautifully restored house, just two minutes walk from the Promenade.

Remember this is a home that has been restored with a lot of care, attention to detail and at great cost, it provides you a bed, wholesome breakfast, quiet relaxation. In our case of 8 ladies who could not speak too softly, we still had the option of late evening rooftop parties, kindly accommodated by the management, who understood our need to unwind.

Remember to carry your home footwear (go for a soft variety to avoid scuffing floors) in case you do not find the acupressure type they provide uncomfortable.

Room Tip: No room service, just a well maintained room and excellent day to day care, options for massage on a...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Pune, India
Reviewed 15 January 2012

'Gratitude' is all that is was advertised as and much more. It has been lovingly restored with attention to original architectural detail and yet has most modern amenities that a present day home should have. It is a real home as the owners live there and welcome all their guests like family. The ambience lends itself to slowing down, introspection and contemplation and afternoon naps in the big, comfortable beds. My daughter and I enjoyed meeting the other guests over a healthy, delicious and long breakfast every morning. The devotional music in the background was a bonus and sets the right note for your day. The staff was very helpful and willing to accomodate reasonable requests. Virginia is the axis on which this oasis of calm rotates and Kakoli the brain behind Gratitude's existence. Even Cyclone Thane could not stop them! These two ladies are owed my heartfelt gratitude for making me feel like a long lost friend.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 December 2011

we went to pondy for our anniversary and decided to stay at Gratitude. Got in touch with Virginia, very helpful lady and an excellent host. She also arranged a wine, cake and rose surprise for my wife (btw... she baked the cake herself which was a very nice gesture. Cake was extremely yummy!!)

The place smells of lemon grass and has a very soothing and relaxing feel to it. The beds / rooms / toilets are all streilised and fab india type bed linen / curtains gives the entire place a very heritage feel.

The place is in the french part of pondy and very near to the beach. Virginia also arranged for a heritage walk on the following morning around the town.

Overall a lovely place. Do stay here.

Room Tip: All rooms good. Take any!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I can’t say enough about my stay at Gratitude. The idea of holidaying in Pondicherry was a spur of the moment one and I just happened to come across Gratitude in the list of guesthouses on tripadvisor. Once I read through the website however, I couldn’t resist writing to them to see if they had a room for me. The tough choice really was which room to pick, given they all look absolutely lovely. The passion and dedication of the team is clearly visible when you browse through their website, and it leaves you with no doubt that they take what they do very seriously. It's not so much a guesthouse as a homestay and as with every home, Gratitude has some house rules. For me that made the whole experience very personal, almost like being home at mum’s, minus having to do the dishes or the lecture about the state of my life. I almost don't want to tell anyone about it because I don't want anyone else staying in what I now consider 'my room'!

The attention and planning that’s gone into every little aspect of the house was an absolute delight to experience. From the wooden shutters on the windows that allows you to pretend it’s the middle of the night at three in the afternoon to the lovely lemongrass room fresheners that greet you every time you walk into the room. Virginia who is the perfect hostess completely spoilt me. With personal attention to every aspect of my stay, from a range of breakfast choices to little suggestions on places to visit and experience in Pondy, I couldn’t have asked for more. Kakoli and Jyoti who own the place are creative, passionate, wonderful people and thanks to them the last two weeks have been so much more than just a vacation. I’ve come away with a beautiful memories and life-long friendships.

If you are planning a trip to Pondicherry you just have to drop by Gratitude, even if you aren’t staying there. To me Gratitude is synonymous with the wonderful spirit of Pondicherry. There is no better place to stay while you discover the charming little town.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Charvi S
Reviewed 18 November 2011

‘Gratitude’ could well describe Pondicherry itself. When you walk into Gratitude, you can’t help but let out a sigh of admiration . . . wow! Mine, however, was a slower pitch fluctuation that lasted a bit longer . . . wooooow!!! . . . I was that mesmerized with it’s exquisite architecture.

The more I stayed there, the more I liked the place, so much so that I extended my trip by two days. The graciousness of the host helped make the decision easy.

One of the highlights of my experience at Gratitude was the delightful conversations with Virginia and Kakoli (two lovely ladies who manage the place) at the breakfast table and on the terrace at evenings.

I felt I was family, not just another “customer”.

The staff is very courteous and puts in a lot of hard work to keep the place immaculate. The rooms are gorgeous and had a calming effect on me every time I stepped in after a long tiring walk around the town.

Pondicherry experience is incomplete without a stay in Gratitude. I am now so spoiled by the pulchritude of this heritage home and the charming staff that I can’t fathom staying anywhere else on my next trip to Pondicherry.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple