All reviewstamil quartercooking demonstrationcycle rickshawheritage hotelinner courtyardcharming propertysister hotelsmall hotelcgh earthsouthern indiarestored housejean paultamil housefixed menupalais de maheold world charmspent two nights
Reviewed 12 August 2017

Single night stay in this hotel which is an excellent choice for Pondicherry. Rooms are spacious and have the old world charm to them. This place is within easy reach of major monuments but we used the cycle rickshaw service to visit these places which is next best thing to exploring the place on foot.Learnt a thing or two during culinary demonstration. Food was excellent too. You would feel at home just like we did.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
FEEDBACKfromCGHEarth, Manager at Maison Perumal, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Greetings From Maison Perumal - a cgh earth experience

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us and I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the experience of being at our Heritage house. Your valuable feedback on our food, architecture & engaging experience is highly appreciated.

Once again thanks for being with us and hoping you will return again for a flawless and relaxing stay .

Best regards,
Sam John | Manager

Reviewed 17 July 2017

My wife and I chose to stay here for a weekend in July 2017 and completely enjoyed our time there.The hotel is a large, beautifully restored, 130-year old home. Perfect blend of classic Tamil Nadu architecture and completely modern facilities. The hotel is a visual treat and the staff provided wonderful service. They allowed us to check-in early and check-out late, which was very helpful. Centrally located, so once we drove in, we could just walk everywhere and didn't need the car at all.

The rooms are tastefully appointed, but if you want to relax in the room, the TV has NO English entertainment channels, so carry your own entertainment or a book. The beautiful restaurant also had only traditional Tamil Nadu cuisine, so for me that was a bit of a let-down. Also, there is only limited street parking.

Notwithstanding the TV channels selection (considering the tariff of the room) and limited food options, the hotel is fantastic and I highly recommend it. A 4.5-Star rating would be my rating.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quietest. Call the hotel when you're nearby, to clear parking for you on the narrow street in front of the building.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
FEEDBACKfromCGHEarth, Manager at Maison Perumal, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2017

Greetings From Maison Perumal -a cgh earth experience
Dear Guest ,
Thank you so much for taking your precious time to write about Maison Perumal. It has been our privilege to have you with us and I am glad that you had a good time in our Heritage boutique Hotel.
We value your patronage and shall defenetly look in to the points you have mentioned and look forward to welcoming you back to Maison Perumal soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2017

Staying in this hotel was a great choice. The building itself is an old structure from colonial times- Pondicherry was at one time a French and also a British colony. But the building is well-maintained with a patio in the middle, and the rooms (it has maybe a dozen rooms) around the patio spread over two floors. The ground floor, what we'd call first floor in the US, has the lobby, restaurant, bar, etc. The rooms are on the second and third floors- referred as first and second floors there. Rooms are ample, especially for a small hotel, and have a decent-size bathroom.
I ate lunch there a couple of times and in both instances the food was excellent
The hotel is situated close to the center of town (is there a center?), but also a short 15 minute walk to the beach.
I can see why Pondicherry is an attractive vacation spot. And Maison Perumal makes it better.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
FEEDBACKfromCGHEarth, Manager at Maison Perumal, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Greetings From Maison Perumal -a cgh earth experience
Dear Guest ,
Thank you so much for taking your precious time to write about Maison Perumal. It has been our privilege to have you with us and I am glad that you had a wonderful stay,and were thoroughly impressed with the Heritage building,room, architcture ,and more over the food in our Heritage boutique Hotel.
We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to Maison Perumal soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2017

We stayed here for two nights and came back just today! Sam John, the Manager, welcomed us with a warm smile. He is always available to address every question or issue a guest might have. It was a pleasure to meet him. This is a relatively small property with 10 rooms, which enables the staff to pay more attention to detail than a typical, large hotel. Towards this end, Jason deserves special mention. He checked us in seamlessly and helped us with everything we asked and wanted to make our stay delightful. Rooms are of different sizes but are clean and stocked with all the amenities that a good starred property would have. Their welcome drink (ginger lime) is wonderfully refreshing and their food is delicious. We tried local cuisine which was nicely plated and fresh. Located in the Tamil quarter and a short walk away from the French Quarter and other interesting places.

Room Tip: Corner rooms (eg. No. 9) are bigger. No. 8 is small.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
FEEDBACKfromCGHEarth, Manager at Maison Perumal, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2017

Greetings From Maison Perumal -a cgh earth experience,
Dear Guest ,
Thank you so much for taking your precious time to write about Maison Perumal. It has been our privilege to have you with us and I am glad that you had a wonderful stay,and impressed with the staff service, room, and more over the food in our Heritage boutique Hotel.

Reviewed 16 June 2017

After a week and a half of traveling India, my brother and I reached Pondicherry. A small city, with a strong French influence, located in southern India. Pondi was never in our plans. We had coordinated trips to Varanasi and Jaipur, but chose to cancel them after spending 4 days in New Delhi. My soul was sort of craving peace, nature and silence more than chaotic cities full tourists. Therefore, during our last night in Kerala, I got on my computer and remembered that a friend had advised me to check out Pondicherry. So, I did. And 5 minutes later I was contacting an eco-friendly hotel in Pondi and booking flights to Chennai (nearest airport) for my brother and I.

After a 3hr taxi ride, we reached Pondicherry for sunset, and it took us by complete surprise. Even lovelier and serener than the images and videos we saw during our short research. The taxi dropped us at the cutest eco-friendly boutique hotel, Maison Perumal, and my eyes began to wander the minute I stepped foot outside the taxi and on what looked like a gigantic mandala created with all the colors of the rainbow. “Kolam”, said Sam, the hotel’s manager. “They are created every morning in front of Pondi’s homes as a symbol of protection and welcoming.” I immediately began to smile! “They are made by hand with rice flour, powder produced from stones, and natural pigments. There’s a class tomorrow”, Sam continued. I giggled and asked him to please sign me up for that class! Sam then proceeded to show us around the hotel while the hotel’s staff welcomed us with a refreshing ginger-lemonade and a necklace of fresh local flowers. He then proceeded to tell us about the hotel’s activities. Komal classes, cooking classes, yoga, a Pondi tour on wheels, and Auroville. “Auroville”. That name sounded so familiar to me, I couldn’t help but take a minute to daydream about where I had heard it before. Apparently, my confused facial expression gave me away because Sam immediately began to explain the story behind it, and then it hit me! I had watched a video a few months prior to my India trip about a Utopian and sustainable city called Auroville. Never in a million years did I imagine I would get there without planning it, nor have the chance to visit it!

After the tour- and me signing up for every activity the hotel had to offer- my brother and I went up to our room, left our bags, and rushed to take Maison Perumal’s cooking class. A 30-minute live tutorial of how to prepare Indian curry veggies. I’m pretty sure the Chef poured over 5 different spices and superfoods on top of those veggies, and all I could do was stare at him in complete amazement! The scents that came out of his pan were something now words can explain! We devoured every spoon of it, had a glass of really cold Indian beer, and found ourselves on our way to discover Pondi at night. We walked around the streets for hours, visiting local markets, and ending our tour next to Gandhi’s four-meter statue in front of the ocean. It was the perfect night and, above all, we felt safe 24/7. I feel we started this trip with chaotic New Delhi for a reason. It showed us what it means to remain blissful amidst the chaos, and also prepared us to recognize peace and mindfulness the minute we bump into it.

The next morning, we woke up at 5am to take a 6am yoga class two blocks away from the hotel. The class was different to anything I’ve experienced before. It was lead by a Hindu yogi on the rooftop of his studio, and I felt as if he recognized the areas of my body that were in complete pain, and decided to focus the practice on providing relief to those areas precisely. It was like magic (after the pain, of course! I had to hold some poses for 10 breaths or more)! From yoga, we walked back to the hotel for breakfast and got ready to explore Pondi with our tour guide. I think we covered everything in about 30 minutes! That’s how small Pondi is! After the tour, we rented a motorbike and drove around Pondi for hours, making stops at every fruit market and bohemian boutique in our way. Our day ended with a delicious dinner at our eco hotel, Maison Perumal. Their menu had tons of vegan options that left me speechless!

Day 3 in Pondi was supposed to be our last day, but I chose to change our schedule. Once again! We had thought of traveling to Goa for our last two days but I fell so in love with Pondi and its surroundings, I decided to spend those two last days visiting Auroville, which is 30-minutes away from Pondi. And so we did, and CGH Earth (parent company of Maison Perumal) was kind enough to host us at another eco boutique hotel in Pondi, Palais de Mahe!

So... Auroville… Have you ever imagined a city centered on acceptance, coexistence, sustainability, mindfulness and love? One where the powerful roles of religions, politics and money ceased to exist? A city with a population that helped each other, worked on barter, fed everyone's mouths with organic vegetables and fruits they harvested from their own plantations, made their own cups and dishes out of clay and natural dyes, produced their own spirulina, and practiced meditation on a daily basis?! A city with houses and buildings built with handmade mud bricks, and powered by solar and wind energies with huge communal kitchens and cafés offering organic vegan and vegetarian options?! I've been dreaming about a place like this for two years and found it in INDIA! Auroville! A utopian city with a sustainable design inspired by the universe, and an enormous Epcot-looking ball in the center of it. This is the Matrimandir ("Temple of the Mother") at Auroville. It is seen as the soul of the city and took about 40 years to be built. It is a huge sphere, covered by 1415 golden discs, surrounded by twelve petals- just like a lotus flower. Each "petal" is the entrance to a meditation room. And, inside the dome, right in the middle, is a meditation hall with a 70cm crystal that absorbs the light and energy of the sunrays beaming in through the top of the dome. We spent over 8hrs walking around this heavenly city. I couldn't believe my eyes. Honestly! But, just as amazement and blissfulness rapidly took over my body with every step I took on Auroville's sandy streets, disappointment and frustration hit me too. How can it be that a mindful and utopian city exists in India, a third world country, and not in America, the "greatest and leading country in the world"? It's beyond my understanding! We have the tools, the technologies, the interest, and the people. Will we wait until it's too late to protect the things that are sacred and promote values of equality?! Life can be simple yet we make it so complicated! One can only hope!

After our visit to Auroville, being mindblown by its peace and sustainability projects, and buying a crystal ring and superfoods all handmade in "Aurovillians", we went back to Maison Perumal to pick up our bags and move to Palais de Mahe. Another little eco-friendly hotel worth an entire blog post, hence, you’ll find the details and more adventures on the Travel section soon!!

Things to know about Maison Perumal:

-It is a 130-year old heritage home transformed into a 10 room hotel

-It was built with reclaimed materials

-Their practices focus on having nature, traditions and local communities in mind

-Their café and restaurant have plant-based menus

-The bathproducts are natural and cruelty-free and come in handmade ceramic containers instead of plastic ones (ceramics done by people of Auroville)

-They offer workshops to introduce guests to the local culture (ie: create a Kolam with colorful natural powders, and learn the Indian cuisine basics)

-You will receive the biggest (and coolest) vintage door key in the history of keys!

-They have the most delicious ginger lemonade

-And… excellent WiFi. (Why deny it? We all need it!)

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family