“Not impressed- unfriendly service and dirty rooms”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Swades Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pondicherry
Swades Guest House
Manchester,Uk
“Not impressed- unfriendly service and dirty rooms”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

Myself and my wife checked in here in feb looking forward to a friendly and comfortable stay - however we found the room to be too small and quite dirty, and found the service from the owners to be very very unfriendly. Whenever I asked for anything, it always seemed like too much bother for them to get it, and they acted like they didnt want me there. The room was very small and quite dirty and when I asked for the room to be cleaned the lady said she would do it but it was never done.
was glad when we checked out as we really hated our stay here.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank davidkjones
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

We booked a stay here based on the amazing reviews from Tripadvisor. However, the moment we arrived, we were made to felt unwelcome. (I should also add that in the room was no toilet paper or towels, and only a thin narrow sheet which didn't cover the two of us). I think they didn't like us because we are 'backpackers' instead of posh French Travelers. Also it seemed to really annoy Ilyas when I told him that we were staying 2 nights instead of 3 - even though i told him way in advance he said it 'wasn't fair'
On the 2nd day, the owner (Ilyas) accosted me on the doorstep and demanded payment from me. I paid him some money but said i would pay the rest later.
When we came back late that night, he was waiting for us on the doorstep. He said we had to pay now for the room. I said we would pay when we checked out as I didn't have the cash on me. He said if we didn't pay there and then, he would call the police and get us chucked out!
We went up to the room and he physically barred our access. We managed to get in the room, and my girlfriend slammed the door (we were NOT happy by this stage). He opened the door, and screamed at my girlfriend that if we slammed 'his' door again he would 'kill her face'. This upset my girlfriend greatly, but it got worse and worse. His wife and son came in and were just as angry. They were screaming that we had to check out now - which wasn't so easy seeing as they kept on grabbing our stuff and throwing it around. They were completely and utterly crazy! I at least thought they wouldn't attack my girlfriend - but this is exactly what Ilyas did! At one stage he had my girlfriend held down on the bed and had his hands around her throat trying to strangle her!! Yes you read that right -trying to strangle her!!! I managed to push him off and tried to clam my naturally distraught girlfriend down (she obviously now just wants to get the hell out of India).
The three of them continued to scream at us and push us around - i was genuinely afraid for the safety of myself and my girlfriend.
We said that they would get a bad review for this - they said 'we dont care - one bad review wont hurt us'.
As we managed to get out the door, they said to my American Born/Asian origin girlfriend 'and you are Chinese aren't you - you are a prostitute'. I pointed out she was actually Filipino, and they laughed and said 'definitely a prostitute then'.
As we were walking out, i had my camera in my hands (we had barely managed to pack anything up properly). Ilyas smashed it out of my hands and it fell onto th concrete floor as he laughed. Its now broken and we can now only take bad quality pictures from our cell phone as we travel around the rest of India. It was quite an expensive camera.
This was the worst guest house experience of my life, and has pretty much ruined India for us.
We are two genuine travelers who have stayed in hundreds of hotels and guesthouses over the years - in fact you can even read our blog at www.davethemonkey.net/more
I am willing to be contacted about this review if you want any more information on what happened.
The bottom line is - do not stay here - its simply not a safe place to stay! I honestly don'twant to think would could have happened that night if i hadn't managed to get us out of the place quickly enough.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
43 Thank mrjungleman
Las Vegas, NV
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2011

From the start, it was really bad service. A lady said we had room one and the driver showed us to the room. There was no tour of the b&b. No towels or toilet paper in the room. We were never asked for our passports like every hotel/b&b we've stayed at in India - which makes us think this business isn't licensed. We had a really thin sheet on the bed that barely covered the two of us. We asked for another but got it 10 hours later. The owner Ilyas got mad at my boyfriend when he didn't have payment. He said he'd pay in the morning when we checked out. Ilyas said No, I'll call the police. He came to our room. I shut the door and Ilyas got mad. He wanted us to leave immediately. His wife and son came to the room. I couldn't believe they were throwing us out. The owner said he'd kick my face in and started coming at me, so I pushed him back. His wife got mad at me too and came at me - sp I pushed her too. We started packing up. Ilyas got mad again and started choking me. I was trying to kick him off. Thank goodness my boyfriend was there to pull him off. Ilyas and his wife called me a prostitute. This is not a safe place to stay. The owners don't like girls who wear shorts or backpackers.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
23 Thank Saya-san
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

I stayed here recently after reading so many postive reviews on tripadvior. Personally I dont see what all the fuss is about. My room was very small and was always hot even when the air conditioning was on. The internet was very very slow and kept on cutting out - I could barely even check my email. I got breakfast one morning and it was unedible - tasted like all the food was stale and thrown together really quickly. Thank god i managed to find some amazing french restuarants in town which were the highlights of my stay in Pondicherry.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
12 Thank dannyadamsmr
Nova Gorica, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights. The owners were helpful and gave us all the information we asked for but we couldn't help feeling that the French tourists and probably guests who were staying longer we're getting much more attention and kindness (the owners lived in France for some years). The rooms are beautifully decorated and the whole house with its terraces is full of charm. It's located in a quiet neighbourhood, 15/20 minutes walk from the seaside. The owners arranged us massage and a taxi to Chidambaram on our last day. They also gave us a map of the city with the main attractions.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple