“Visual feast in need of updating”

Melia Salinas - Adults recommended
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 January 2012

This beautiful hotel has a bar mural and garden designed by the Island's famous artis Manrique. As a result the public spaces are extraordinarily pleasing to the eye - with little details like pictures of the plans in the central atrium decorating the walls of the walkways.

The hotel promotes itself as a five star and it may be that the service beyond the locked doors that lead to the bungalows is five star, but for mere mortals in the main hotel it is not.
The front of house staff are very good, but as soon as you get into the bar of the buffet restaurant things are different.

The bar staff do not all speak english, not even well enough to specify a brand of whisky or brandy and we were surprised, given the steep prices and the 'five star' rating to be given cold five star cognac (no warmed glass) and ice dumped into an expensive single malt whiskey without anyone asking if it was wanted Both are a first for five stars.

We are not yet used to the idea of a five star having a buffet dinner - though this is our second experience of a five star offering this. Whilst the dining area is pretty, the whole thing doesn't really work. The food on the hot plates is left all evening and no-one checks the temperature, the areas where you can have your food cooked provide good quality fresh fish, some reasonably quality meats to grill but they are quickly overwhelmed if more than three people turn up at once - in a restaurant that can seat serious numbers in high season. The pasta bar was a great find, but this too couldnt handle a queue of more than three people and I am glad we were there when the hotel was really quiet.

The 'flow' of people round the islands to collect your own food was very disjointed. To get toast you had to go to one side (put the toast through 3 times or more) then walk right round to get butter and jam. It never occured to anyone to put any near the toaster! This created long walks, cold toast and people drifting about. Similarly if you wanted yoghurt on your fresh fruit you had to walk from one end of the room to the other since fresh fruit was only displayed with the strange spray on cream that passes for cream in Lanzarote.

The evening restaurant service was patchy. Again ordering in spanish was a help (one of us speaks spanish or we would have had trouble). No refills of wine most nights. Some days we had piles of dirty plates on our table as we went through three courses without anyone clearing for us. Not quite what even a buffet style four star might offer! Never mind this.

The outside pool area is lovely but you should avoid this hotel at all costs if you are allergic to cats. They sit on the sun loungers at night, use the gravel in the gardens as a latrine, and one night we sat near the glass wall in the restaurant and dined to the dinstinct scent of tom cat urine. The cats wander into the central garden atrium at night and have free range of the hotel. They are not ragged, but they are not spayed - kittens abound - so anyone with asthma problems should consider a hotel less cat friendly! My partner has asthma, but fortunately it is not triggered by cats or our holiday would have been dangerous.

Despite the morning sun we never managed to breakfast outside since the outside eating areas are for the smokers - there is no non smoking outside eating place! Fine if you can handle the smoke but a shame if you can't.

The room (basic executive not a suite) was pleasant but again not really five star. Not enough clothes storeage space for two of us for a week - three thin drawers, one double wardrobe into which our suitcase had to fit as well.

Anyone over a UK size 12 or more than 5ft 5 would have serious difficulty fittiing into our bath. The lack of anywhere to hang bathrobes or towells in our bathroom was a problem (two weird hooks over the toilet were not adequate for two peoples robes and towels). There was no storeage space in the bathroom which meant everything had to be left out, and the replenishment of hotel stuff was random - we got a shower cap on the third day for the first time!. The shower itself had no thermostat, which meant the temperature fluctuated as other guests turned on and off their water. Its a long time since I checked into a hotel with bathroom fixtures to this standard - obviously state of the art in the 1970s but we were there last week.

The bar area was almost completely empty most nights and after a night or two we worked out why. The entertainment was pedestrian, not good enough to keep anyone in drinking very expensively in the bar, when next door was a little trio of bars and restaurants serving drinks at London prices (cheap after the hotel bar believe me) and some local entertainers - saxophonists, drag artists and more. Obviously they figured out the way to get the guests out of the hotel and it worked. The hotel had no real strategy to keep anyone in. One night a reasonably good magician played and the bar staff talked so loudly in spanish through parts of his act that it was hard to follow it! A responsive DJ made an attempt to get people dancing, but the fact the entertainers left their stuff on the small (and only) dance floor made it hard to get on the floor before 10pm by which time the hotel bar was dead anyway - everyone having gone to bed.

The hotel is in a good location since you can walk out to the bars in the bay and yet enjoy the quiet of the grounds and pool area.

The free wifi in reception and not in rooms is probably a sign of the age of the building or the fact they cant organise a techie who understands how to get a router to repeat the signal!!

I am glad we went, had a quiet week, almost convalescent, but have stayed in five stars that would put this one to shame.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Annabel57
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 31 December 2011

I cant rate this hotel average it was better than average but more con points than pro points for it: Patricia the childrens entertainer is a star, so personable with the children The outside atrium is awesome. Unfortunately quite a lot of negatives and improvements to be made. We booked this hotel as we enjoy our luxury, we arrived and went to the meeting area for red plus visitors as we had booked a junior suite, all good but on arrival we queried the offer as we had booked direct through the hotel and they knew nothing, basically we had 30 euros per day to spend anywhere within the hotel. In the room, the room is dated and not of five star quality, but a really good four star.
The restaurant was great first evening, five star service, pouring our drinks out as you would expect, but this did not happen every night, not enough waiting staff I would say. The buffet is nice but not enough variety I was eating out on day five! The xmas day buffet was good but only a few seafood extras, one decoration on the table, no crackers or anything, very dissapointed with that.
The chambermaid service was o.k but ouir evening turndown service only happened3 nights out of the seven. I have never been in such a small bath....bathrooms in need of modernisation and re-think.
Overall the holiday was good due to friends we met over there and certain staff within the hotel. Would not return as I can stay in a ritz calrton for the same price where they lay your towel down for you and bring over water. The little extras help. A pool for the children would of been nice, perferably heated too, not freezing cold, the sea was warmer than the pool.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank tja1230
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Had a short stay at this fine hotel. Rooms a little dated, but enough character to turn a blind eye. Buffet breakfast relaxed and plenty of choice. Free wifi in reception, but not rooms.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank iskaymuyu
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Being on the island of Lanzarote, one of the islands in the Spanish Canary Islands chain in the Atlantic Ocean and a ferry ride away to the Moroccan coast of Africa is truly like being on a lunar landscape. The island is covered in black lava rocks and black sandy b eaches. We truly enjoyed the sites. We stayed at the 5-star elegant hotel, Gran Melia Salinas in October and the weather was warm and pleasant every day of our stay. I was surprised because I didn't know that it actually stays warm throughout the year. The sea was not cold and the pool inviting and spacious. Many Europeans are there who return year after year. The food in the restaurant was delicious and fresh every day, breakfast as well as dinner. No problems. I love paella and they had it every single day, done differently each day! A treat. The staff very kind and the hotel has an Avis car rental office there, if you don't take the car from the airport. I suggest you rent for a few days and tour this incredible island that God has kept a secret. Houses are all stuccoed white in all the pretty and quaint villages. Camel rides are available to the volcanic (dormant ) areas--just spectacular. Behind the main area of the lobby where the music entertainment takes place, there is a smoking-area that is not intrusive to non-smokers. I truly enjoyed smoking my c igars there. Yes, I do want to return to that island and to that hotel. I booked the breakfast from home, but the dinner meal plan I booked when I arrived there. This island also produces great wines and you can drive to the vineyards to sample the wines and buy souvenirs of the vineyard complexes. The wines are also available in the local stores. I liked the wine called Rubicon, but others are also very good. Local goat cheese is great, buy it on the country roads as you tour. Driving the island is safe and truly worth it. The beach is sandy and rocky because of the lava rocks that dropped everywhere in the past. The only thing I resent about European beaches in front of the hotels is the chair-and-umbrella rentals that are ubiquitous: 3 euro per chair and also 3 euro per umbrella. Being accustomed to free lounging in the Caribbean, this is something that I find strange. If you stay awhile, per couple that's 9 euro a day, it adds up!

Room Tip: Higher up the better, facing the pool. There are elevators.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank senorsdoll
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This was the fourth time we have stayed at Gran Melia Salinas, Costa Teguise (8th to 15th December 2011) and this says something as we seem very rarely to stay more than once at any hotel. We have had two holidays in Lanzarote in December and we find the climate ideal: warm enough to sit outside in the day but never oppressively hot. Not too hot either to play tennis or go for long walks on the strangely beautiful cinder and lava fields.

The good points: the hotel is clean, quiet and attractive with its lushly planted atrium with the delightful singing of frogs in the water among the palm trees in the evening. And we love the influence here of the artist Cesar Manrique who has left his mark so indelibly over the landscape over the whole island. At the Gran Melia Salinas there are his wonderful sculpted murals which are sufficient reason alone to visit the hotel. The food is generally good, and we like the buffet style of the meals. There is a very wide choice of food if not a great deal of variation night by night. Service is much as you would expect it to be for one of the most expensive hotels on the island, and I would compliment in particular the chambermaids who kept our room spotless and made up the beds very promptly every morning.

A special comment about - and compliment for - Patricia: you were briiliant in the way you looked after so many of the guests, not least ourselves. You are so enthusiastic and so professional and we are in no doubt that you have a glowing career in the hotel industry ahead of you. Our last evening (Wednesday 14th December) was made particularly memorable when you encouraged us all on to the dance floor. Management take note: you have an absolute gem here, and I make that remark objectively: my comments are completely unsolicited.

And no mice here either! The resident cats - mostly (fortunately) outside - see to that. But I am something of a cat enthusiast. Others may not be so enamoured.

On the downside: I guess it must be a result of the recession, but it was very quiet. I had the impression that the hotel was not much more than one third occupied, and this had its effect on staffing levels and entertainment which were curtailed relative to our previous experiences here. And the hotel is beginning to look its age (I think it opened late 1970s). We missed the pianist at the entrance to the dining room. The grand piano is still there, moved aside and gathering dust. But it may be of course that we took our holiday in low season, and that things will be very different over the Christmas period.

But my most negative observation - and I may get some stick for saying this - is the absence of dress code, particularly for the evening dinner. OK, so I am rather conservative, old fashioned if you like (but my wife and I are in our late 60s, so you might allow us that), but if I am in a quality restaurant I dress accordingly, and for me this means a long sleeved shirt and tie, and a jacket too if it is cold. I do this not only for my own pleasure, but as a mark of respect for the other guests and the staff. So to be blunt, when I see other guests (mostly English, I am ashamed to say) pitching up in T shirts, jeans and trainers I am very unimpressed indeed. Come on Gran Salinas management - do credit to yourselves and your fine hotel by insisting on decent dress, and banning mobile phones from the restaurant as well. If you let these standards lapse, you will do no favours to your reputation. Please don’t let that happen.

I don’t go a lot on shorts in quality restaurants either. Worn by people of my own generation they are frankly hideous, especially if they draw attention to the wearer’s obesity or gross varicose veins. Enough to put you quite off your food if not actually to throw up.

But thank you. This was, as with the three previous occasions we have stayed with you, a memorable holiday. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and feel rested, fit and well fed.

(Next time - can you let me look inside the Observatory? I'm an amateur astronomer and would love a look at the Canarian night sky.)

Room Tip: We've always had a Junior Suite. Well worth the extra cost. Beautiful sea views, and the noise o...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
0.4 km away
H10 Suites Lanzarote Gardens
H10 Suites Lanzarote Gardens
#3 of 38 in Costa Teguise

Been to Melia Salinas - Adults recommended? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK