“NIGHTMARE dining experience!!”

Black Angus Bar & Grill
Ranked #10 of 58 Restaurants in Hope Island
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: BLACK ANGUS BAR & GRILL is one of Gold Coast award winning steakhouse restaurants, located in the Sanctuary Cove marina overlooking glistening harbour. Specialising in premium certified beef cooked on famous hot rocks or char grill. Black Angus Bar & Grill is the perfect venue for any kind of functions. From intimate family gatherings to lavish weddings, we have the facilities and menu to cater for any occasion.
Reviewed 21 March 2018

After 2 1/2 hours waiting for his order (Tomahawk steak which takes an hour to cook and then a replacement meal 500g Rib on the bone which was essentially still raw) my husband walked out without having eaten and still hungry!!

We went here to celebrate a friend's birthday with 6 adults and 2 kids. My husband ordered the Tomahawk along with the birthday girl who ordered the Tomahawk as well. The birthday girl and her husband received theirs after an hour long wait, however my husband was waiting for his while we all tucked into our meals. 15 minutes later he decided to ask where his order was. They came back and apologised but said there was a mistake, it hadn't been ordered.

Clearly my husband was irate that most of us had already eaten and his order hadn't even been cooked. Another waiter came back and then offered a 500g rib off the bone as complementary on a hot rock but we would need to cut it. My husband was so angry with waiting I agreed to take their offer. When it arrived some 20 minutes later it was bloodied and red raw... That set my husband off even more (given he loves his meat medium to well).

He complained to another waiter walking past as the girl who delivered the rib fillet walked away and they did not have any solutions but said 'sorry about that'. We spent some 20 minutes with my husband in and out of the restaurant repeating the situation to the table while waiters walking past and just not coming near us to resolve the issue. Other patrons kept turning around and knew there was an issue. I felt so bad for my husband but embarrassed about the whole situation. In the end, the birthday girl asked for the manager.

This old lady came by and asked "how is everything?" Knowing very well that my husband was escalating at the table and clearly the whole restaurant knew there was an issue. We were sure she had been briefed however we went through the whole process of explaining to her about him waiting an hour for a Tomahawk steak that never came and then this is dropped on the table for him. She then explains to us that the meat needed to be cut up and cooked on the hot rocks. It was just too late after seeing a raw meat presented to him, he had gone to a point of no return.

I asked for some compensation as my husband had just spent 2 hrs and hadn't eaten. She offered 20% discount but was very reluctant to do so. When my husband was arguing with her about the situation it was just extremely uncomfortable as he had explained the same thing to about 2 other waiters who just did not want to know about it. I absolutely felt like I was the mediator between the old lady and my husband escalating. What made it worse is that she then said to my husband that "mistakes do happen" not once, but a couple of times. This of course sets my husband off even more.

In the end, I asked our friends to usher my husband out of the restaurant. We asked for our bill which took about 10 minutes to get. You would think they would want us out of there with my husband escalating and going off at the door (with good reason).

It was such a horrible ordeal we all felt very anxious and upset about the whole situation it took the next day to go out for lunch to debrief over it! We left a message on facebook and received a reply by Lucus who kindly returned my call. I explained the whole situation to him and also learnt he was the manager on the night however was not made aware of the situation until we left, some 2 1/2 hrs later.... I raised the following issues:

- multiple waiters serving us (and service was quite slow anyway) that no one wanted to take accountability when they saw my husband clearly unhappy and escalating at the table.
- I even asked for a beer when my husband's initial tomahawk didn't arrive and it never came!
- Having the complimentary red raw cut of meat placed on the table with the waiter walking off not clearly explaining how it was meant to be cooked/prepared made the whole situation worse.
- overall poor service and multiple waiters looking after (if you would call that) our table

We were offered in compensation 2 tomahawks, a bottle of wine and Lucus's service for the night. Unfortunately this compensation just was not enough for all of us (6 adults and 2 kids) as none of the people wanted to pay any more than they needed to in this establishment.

I've spoken to the manager at length and he was very apologetic about this whole situation. I hate writing negative reviews but I couldn't let this one slip as it is honestly the worst dining experience anyone could ever go through.

All I asked is that lessons are learnt from this. Mistakes do happen, however it is the swift actions and better services for the patron affected that can help ease any issues. Unfortunately he walked out un-fed and I later found out checking my accounts that there was no 20% discount taken off our bill.

It's safe to say we will never be back again and will advise any friends/work colleagues/aquaintances to do the same.

2  Thank Ange M

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Alternate plate business function, nice enough atmosphere and most of the service was ok. The entrees were calamari & pork belly and alright without being remarkable, Mains came out with steak & lamb alternates severed on Hot stone to cook yourself with the steaks, about 250g, looking pretty good seared on the grill and ready to finish on the stone. Lamb arrived raw 2 & 3 bone racks, maybe 120g of meat, impossible to cook evenly on the stone and and just so bloody disappointing when every 2nd person is enjoying what looked like a really good steak. Why not serve lamb rump so we had a chance to cook it properly with out the rack.

The night was topped off by a waiter dropping a tray glasses then throwing a tantrum slamming doors and breaking things in the kitchen.

There are a lot of restaurants around the area so I’d highly recommend you look elsewhere.

Reviewed 21 February 2018

This up market restaurant is worth the premium price. Food is excellent, service friendly and efficient and the location is great being in the pleasant Sanctuary Cove village on the wharf overlooking the marina. Seating is either inside or outside on the waters edge. Parking is close.

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

My husband and I were here for dinner on Sat 03/02/2018 for a birthday with our 2 best friends for his birthday. Our waiter although a bit frazzled to start with (was very busy) he made up for it with his attentative service and friendly nature. He was from Spain and was very pmeased that my husband ordered the Sole as it was a large fish fit fir a large man lol (he's 6'2) and he was even more impressed when there wasn't anything left but bones. Our entrees were amazing, our meals even better and to top it off the desserts just blew my mind. What a wonderful night and a beautiful place to spend our Saturday night. Worth every penny.

Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

This is an amazing restaurant, the location, the ambience, the service,and the food were outstanding.