“Great service and location, but uncomfortable rooms”

The Boathouse Hotel
Ranked #15 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 June 2009

Pros:
The service: Everyone at the front desk was so helpful with everything.. day trips, restaurant reservations, and other recommendations. They go out of their way for you.
The pool: Very nice pool with an affordable bar area and nice lounge beds. Not too crowded either. We stayed by the pool mostly, as the beach was too rocky for us
The location: If you like being near a beach, this place is right across the street from Kamari beach, on a street with lots of ocean-front restaurants. Oia and Fira are the prettier, busier parts of the island because of their Western, sunset-side location, but they're not on the water, and the hotels there tend to be more expensive.
The breakfast: Very yummy and pleasant to sit and eat outside by the pool area

Cons:
The room: If you're only staying for a couple of days, it's definitely tolerable. The rooms are clean, have AC and ample hot water. The shower is super small and you kind of have to hold the shower head and try your best to keep the water from spilling out of the shower. The beds are not comfortable. It was ok for us, but if you have back problems, you might feel morning discomfort. Also, no TV (in case that matters).

Generally, a good value. Even though the rooms weren't great, the price was low, and you get what you pay for. For a couple of nights, it's fine. If we stayed longer, I'd look for a better place and pay more money.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank NYCTraveller999
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Boathouse Hotel

Reviewed 13 June 2009

First of all, most of the problems can't completely be blamed on the hotel. I would HIGHLY recommend staying in Oia (Chelidonia) or even in Fira, over Kamari. The beach is not "black sand", but is rock and it costs 6 euro to sit in the chairs. The reviews:
PROS:
- The pool and outdoor areas are actually OK.
- Free wireless internet in lobby and pool.
- The free breakfast was fine with good greek yoghurt and fruit.
- It faces "the beach"
- Cheap cocktails at the pool bar. We didn't try them, but at 3.5 Euro vs. the 9 Euro cocktails elsewhere on the island it seemed fair.
CONS
- The beds are sub-youth hostel quality.
- The bathrooms remind me of my fraternity bathroom in college, the shower sprays all over the walls and the curtain was mildewy. The lighting is dim and it generally feels dingy.
- The A/C unit when turned on smelled terrible.
- The beach in front is all rocks, there is nothing to see (snorkeling) and they charge for the chairs.

I'm not one for writing too negative reviews. Again, I just overall wouldn't recommend staying in Kamari. However, my wife couldn't sleep at all b/c the mattress and sheets where so nasty. With an upgrade in beds and bathrooms, this might be an ok place for the price. If you do end up here, take the bus to Fira and eat at Nikolas Tavern. That was nice and affordable.

If you haven't booked yet, I'd take a ferry directly to Folegrandros island (heaven... stay at Anemomilos) or find a place in Oia (like chelidonia).

PS Sorry i can't write back to individual questions. Just too busy.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChatoAguilar
DMZ, owner at The Boathouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2009

Thank you for your Pros and I am so glad you enjoyed our recommendation for Anemomilos in Folegandros, sorry that you don't like the volcanic beach of Kamari. Chelidonia in Oia is also fantastic (unparalled views) although readers should know it is 3 times our rate here at The Boathouse in June and does not have access to a beach.

Reviewed 6 June 2009

Wow, this place was great! I'm still trying to figure out why we only planned to stay two nights, because I'm dying to go back already. We arrived by boat to the port in Santorini where the owner himself picked us up in his personal car and took us to the hotel. We offered him money for the ride, but he refused, seeming genuinely to want to be our local guide because of his own pride for the island. He gave us a complete history of the island on the drive, then checked us in to the hotel, and even carried our bag to our room.
We were in a second story room facing the ocean. The room was not five star, but I think it is standard for what is essentially a 3 star hotel. We spent more time out and about than in the room, so it was really satisfactory for our needs. I loved being able to sleep in the room, and even with the doors to the patio closed, we could hear the waves crashing on the beach, heavenly!
The room itself was clean and the rest of the hotel seemed to be well taken care of. For those who don't like the showers, I hate to say it, but the small handheld shower is kind of standard in Europe and getting the bathroom wet is something to expect- so don't leave your clothes on the bathroom floor!
Down in the entry hall, Spyros and Angie were great at giving us strategic information to make the most out of the trip. We explained we only had a small amount of time, and they gave us suggestions accordingly. We were able to arrange for a rental car from the hotel lobby and the car company delivered it right to the hotel, very convenient! Having the car also allowed us to make the most out of the short time there, so if you're only going for two or three days I recommend it.
The Kamari beach area, I found to be very pleasant. We were there a few weeks before high season started, so it was pretty calm, and we had pretty much that whole strip to ourselves. I imagine though it would be great too during busy season, because you have your choice of restaurants and bars, and its all in one flat easily walkable strip.
Finally, I can't say enough about Spyros. He was like our long lost Greek uncle who took us as his own, made sure we had a good time, and staying at his hotel was not like staying at any other hotel I've ever been to. He really made us feel comfortable and welcome, like we were family, and we would come back again anytime!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Having stayed many times in the greek islands, i can say that our stay at the Boathouse hotel has been one of our most enjoyable. The staff were exceptionally helpful and really did make us feel welcome with great suggestions for restaurants , winery tours and exscursions. ***** five stars for service.

Our rooms were basic, very clean european style. Mine was oceanside with a large balcony equipped with a table and chairs where we could sit and enjoy the poolside and water view before going out in the evening for dinner.

The hotel location was down the quiet end of black sand Kamari Beach which was great for peaceful book and pool time. If you want a little more action, it's a quick stroll along the beach to nightlife.

Beautiful view, friendly staff, exceptional value. We'll definately go back.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2009

After reading all of the reviews,I had high hopes for the Boathouse, but my stay didn't meet my expectations. The rooms are okay, the bathrooms are awful, and they rarely give you new towels. The breakfast is basic and repetitive (same thing every morning). Unfortunately, a group of obnoxious women were staying at the hotel. They were up all hours of the night talking loudly with the owners of the hotel who they knew. I am 26 and even I was annoyed with noise - I felt bad for the family with three children under the age of ten. Worst off, we couldn't make it to the hotel the first night because air traffic control was on strike. The hotel assured me that I would get a full refund for the missed night, but when Expedia contacted them- they refused to issue the refund.

Kamari is a great place to stay - there are tons of food options and car/moped rental evey 10 feet. We rented a quad for two days and saw the entire island. It is a lot of fun and not too expensive (21 Euro for one quad). It beats waiting for the bus as well. Kamari Tours is a great place to book trips (it is right on the main street in Kamari). We went to hike the volcano, swim in the hot springs, and visit a small island near Santorini. It was well worth the price.

The beach is rocky, but there are plenty of beach chairs for you to use. Mid-May to late-May is a perfect time to visit. The weather is warm (felt high 70s to mid 80s every day) and the water feels really good in the hot sun. Don't believe the weather reports- it feels a lot hotter in Santorini than it says. Also, it isn't high season in May so when you visit Oia or Fira, you aren't inundated with crowds.

I would consider staying near Perissa Beach or Red Beach next time. The prices are still relatively inexpensive compared to Oia and Fira, it is quiet, and the beaches are nicer. I would not recommend the Boathouse if visiting Kamari. There are plenty of hotels there - I would look for a better option.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank peanut217
DMZ, owner at The Boathouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2009

We are very sorry that you were not happy with your room here at The Boathouse Hotel, if we had known that you had a problem with noise we would have moved you to a quieter room more to your liking.

We do think that we need to inform readers that the rate you paid was 50 Euros per night for a Triple Sea view Room overlooking the beach and that only 35 % of this amount actually goes to the hotel. Expedia did call us to tell us that you had called them to ask for a refund for your first night after you had returned home from Santorini. Expedia has a 24 hour cancellation policy with us and as you went into your room at 7am (check in is actually 2pm) the morning after you were suppose to arrive and the room was held from the night before they do not refund us. We do not have any funds from Expedia until 3 weeks after guests have check out of the hotel so this issue is entirely with Expedia and the contract that they have made with us.

As you and the previous reviewer mention the shower I also thought I should mention here that the showers on Santorini are like this (with the hand held shower head) to hope that tourists will respect the serious water shortage on the Island and conserve water while showering.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
1.0 km away
Sea Side Beach Hotel
#11 of 75 in Kamari
0.4 km away
Santellini Boutique Hotel

Been to The Boathouse Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK