New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Phoenician Resort - Broadbeach

Phoenician Resort - Broadbeach
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Broadbeach
Sydney, Australia
“Great location and very comfortable rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

We stayed at the Mantra Phoenician two years ago and decided to give it another try this year when we came back to the Gold Coast. As far as locations go, it doesn't get more central than this. There are numerous restaurants around the building without even needing to walk more than a block! Great eating establishments too. The beach is a stone's throw away. We were most impressed with the service of the staff at reception. One of us had been up sick all night the day we were leaving and the lady on reception did her best to give us a late checkout even though the apartment was booked for that night. There is parking under the building and they will allow you to stay in the garage for the rest of the day even after you've checked out.

Sleep quality is good as long as you don't have the balcony doors open. Broadbeach has a lot of nightclubs and they close at 3:00am spilling inebriated people on the roads. The sound carries up the side of the building. I thought someone was speaking outside our door only to discover he was 16 floors below me.

The apartment we had was beautifully furnished but I suspect that apartments are furnished by individual owners so this might be different from apartment to apartment. We didn't try the pool or other facilities.

The Mantra Phoenician is a place we'll continue to come back to.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank RomaPHILE33
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Got a great deal on 1 bedroom apartment & was very happy with it. Comfortable and really well located in the heart of Broadbeach's restuarants, shops & bars with balcony overlooking it all. 5 minutes walk to the beach - would definitely stay there again. Only negative was my room was right next to the rubbish chute & bottles going down this were really noisy!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the rubbish chute
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sallystours
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed at the Mantra and found it to be comfortable and well located, Staff were friendly and helpful, and I remember the staff member the previous reviewer mentioned in what I believe is a rather irresponsible way to air your dissatisfaction. The staff member mentioned was extremely professional and most helpful and nothing like young Amy has described. Most reasonable people would direct personal complaints regarding staff directly to Hotel Management and not use a public forum to air their unexpert opinions with total disregard for the livelihood of others. I would be glad to stay at this hotel in future and even more glad if I see that staff member stil doing the great job I know she does.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Charles B
gold coast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

I'm a member of a band that has been touring nationally and overseas for almost 3 years now, for our work we are accommodated by venues, casinos and nightclubs weekly. Just in this past month we have stayed at 4 Mantra hotels (Bel Air Gold Coast, Chatswood in Sydney, Little Bourke in Melbourne and finally Phonecian Broadbeach) In fact when we negotiate our fees and requirements with a venue we always request to fly Virgin, drink Greygoose and stay in the closest Mantra accommodation to the gig.
However, I have just rewritten our rider today to ensure that we are never accommodated at a Mantra again. Sue at your front desk at the Mantra Phonecian is single handedly the rudest customer service representative you have in your national employ. She was unhelpful, misinforming and thoroughly incompetent. She barked at us to get our own pillows and sheets when they were missing from our room, snarled that the check out was 10am and no later or she'd certainly be charging us $20 an hour or more. I'm not sure if we even asked for a late check out but she was more than happy to take the opportunity to throw around her power stick. Our lead singer who is just the nicest guy on the planet said genuinely "Thank you, see you later." and he was not acknowledged at all. We all entered the lift whispering to each other
"Woah, she was a a real thrill to be around, welcome to the Phonecian"
For the most part our stay was pleasant the location, facilities and our room were all more than comfortable and to the standard that we are used to when saying in the Mantra branded hotels.
We are more than familiar with to the process of leaving a credit card freeze as a deposit for our room, we have a band credit card and individual credit cards but as Sue neglected to inform us that she was putting a 7 day freeze on $200.00 for our room I just opted to use my personal card. Upon check out I was informed by another receptionist that those funds would remain frozen for the next week, I explained to her that we stay in Mantra hotels all the time and our funds are more often than not reimbursed by the time we make it to the airport and if in the event there is any longer freeze on our credit card we are always informed of this and would then opt to use the band business credit card, we were not obliged this option.
When I explained that Sue had not in any way shape or form explained this inconvenience to us upon check in, the other receptionist told us Mantra wasn't holding my funds; my bank was and told me she could do sweet bugger all about it. Just brilliant considering my mortgage payment is due in 2 days.
When you're a muso on the road, every venue owes you thousands of dollars and even though our lifestyle is at times glamorous some weeks we split overpriced airport burgers between three of us and fight for the tv remote control straight after the gig, having all poured every penny we have into our new single's production this month, this was definitely one of those penny pinching weeks.
The receptionist refused to call the bank for me, she printed me a letter dated in March, helpful considering that today is April 28, and suggested I sort it out with my bank. There was consideration to the fact that their sheer negligence was an absolute nightmare for me to sort before boarding a !;45pm flight and certainly no apology. In fact I cannot explain how disappointed and irritated it left me to see Sue a little chuffed with herself for inconveniencing me with her lack of information and sarcastic disposition.
I raced to my bank and made it just in time as they are only open till midday on Saturdays.
The Westpac branch manager laughed out loud at the less than official paper work I'd been given and rang the Mantra explaining that this was the second occasion they had inconvenienced Westpac bankers and explained very slowly the very simple process of unfreezing funds upon a customers request. Within a fax and a flash Westpac resolved the issue and repeated the information again to the dimwitted Phonecian desk staff finishing the conversation with "we hope to not have to sort this out for you again, this is not a Westpac issue we are not holding our bankers funds to stay in your hotel, you are."
I whole heartedly believe it would be an investment for your company to pay out Stick in the mud Sue's long service leave and send her packing. She's well worn of any contentment she could show to any customer and has a knack of revealing complete disregard to any of the service training were more than used to receiving in our previously opted for accommodation.
More than happy to discuss this further feel free to contact me at amylouyoung@hotmail.com and I will forward my phone details.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank amy y
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Location of these premises was exceptional. That is where the good times stop. The beds were old and the matresses were almost unusable. That was all the beds. Tried the sofa lounge as a last resort. Useless. It was even uncomfortable to sit on. At 5.30am each morning the garbage trucks started their merry song of "beeping" reversing and lifting of large bins into the back of the truck. On the plus side the rooms were fairly clean. Not enough garbage bags or tissues or other little things that make a stay plesant.

Room Tip: Complain about anything that is not serviceable as soon after you arrive as possible.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SydneyFamilyMan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadbeach
0.4 km away
#5 of 33 in Surfers Paradise
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,071 reviews
0.5 km away
Jupiters Hotel & Casino Gold Coast

Been to Phoenician Resort - Broadbeach? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK