“Friends and Kids First time”
Review of The Angels

The Angels
Ranked #29 of 183 Restaurants in Hitchin
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional British classics and fine Sunday roast meats all with a modern twist, fresh Italian pizza dough from our pizza oven and tasty nibbles to compliment fine wines, world beers, craft ales and credible coffee... Yum! Small one's are most welcome- let them work up an appetite in the play area, inside or out!
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Warm welcome by John the manager. Amazing food! And service! Kids area brilliant for kids to run off while you sit and have a drink. The staff were so helpful (especially this young girl in particular. One little boy hit his head and she care out with a wet cloth and also gave him a £1 for the sweet machine to make him smile again! She was so helpful and friendly! To me that is customer service at its best!)
Would not only recommend this pub for people with kids.. but the other side of the bar is a gorgeously decorated eating/bar area! I can image having a lovely meal with the girls here in the evening without the kids! ;-)

Angels_Hitchin, General Manager at The Angels, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi Gemma,
Many thanks for your kind review.
We are so pleased you had a great meal and fantastic service.
I will ensure the team get to see the review.
we look forward to seeing you real soon.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Waitress very friendly and helpful. I am coeliac and food was delicious and obviously safely prepared. Prices and portions excellent. Would highly recommend

Hi bonnykin,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit-we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your food.
Out team do strive for 100 % customer satisfaction which we Clearly achieved. We hope to see your real soon.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I've never been to Hitchin before and don't usually write reviews.
It does seem to me that most of the time, people tend to write reviews when they're unhappy, yet rarely bother to say something positive when they have nothing to complain about!
I think proper service deserves a pat on the back so here goes......
My wife, two young girls and I were visiting our friend from Letchworth, who bought us here to "The Angels."
I have to say I'm so glad she did!
We were greeted with a very warm welcome, I was pleased to see there was vast choice of drinks available for all the family to enjoy.
Even more impressive for me was the "McMullen" choice of real ales, something for me (as a bit of a beer snob,) I'd never come across before. I had a pint of McMullen IPA .. perfect! The landlord then kindly poured me drop of the McMullen "Pilsner" to try; again a fantastic beer; I would call a "craft ale", so good in fact I had to have a pint (or 3) to go with my meal.
The play area is another thing I loved about this pub. So many large "chain" pubs seem to be 'losing' their play areas; opting to replace with extra seating! - a big mistake I feel. "The Angels" play area was actually another reason our friend brought us here. We found the play area to be, well equipped, very safe and allowed us a little time to unwind - our children had a great of fun. Thank you for this - it does make a big difference.
I'm trying to keep this short but can't very well, We did eat here as well.
The main menu is perfect - straight forward - just no nonsense.

We arrived a little late in the day and were surprised to find table service (another big positive for this pub - how often do you hear of table service these days? - It's usually queue up with your table number and order at the bar!)

Our waitress soon made us aware of meals available (other than on the menu) -
It was a pleasant surprise to learn roast dinners were still available.
I went for a beef roast.
We didn't have to wait too long before all our food came out - and when it did - it was fantastic..... My dinner had all the veg and loads of beef!

In fact all our dinners, the children's meals, the chicken roast our friend had and the burger my wife had, were all spot on.

The table service staff were brilliant, you simply couldn't ask for a more pleasant and helpful team. Thanks again.

In fact, the service and care all the staff provided I think made the greatest impact of all. We all had a great night.

Well done.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Very friendly staff and food was enjoyable. Lovely area sectioned off for children to be able to play in the kids area as well. Thank you for our Easter Sunday visit!

Thank Richard & Suzan... J
Angels_Hitchin, Manager at The Angels, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi Richard & Suzan,
Thank you for taking time to leave us a review. We are pleased you had a great visit with us. we look forward to seeing you real soon.
Team Angels.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

A large group of us visited this pub because it has a play area, between us with 5 kids - it made sense; but we won't be going back.
Whilst the food was edible, the service was awful! And not so much because of the staff themselves but because the kitchen was so slow, that the inexperienced staff didn't know how to handle it. After ordering our mains, it took an hour for them to arrive. We chased them twice but the waiting staff could only apologise, and even that was insincere.
Once we got the mains, we were missing some extra side orders - but at that point we were just pleased to get our mains.
The kids had their food earlier than us, and we ordered their puddings right away (before our mains arrived) these took over 45 minutes to arrive - for ice creams! And by this point the kids were too tired and fed up to even care.
We complained a number of times and whilst we weren't looking for compensation, our bill was in excess of £150 - so a small token would have gone a long way.
Even when it came to paying for our bill seems to be a chore because bringing the card machine took almost 15 minutes.
The only perk here is the play area.

Angels_Hitchin, General Manager at The Angels, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Camilla,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear of your disappointment and unsatisfactory experience and would like you to contact John (The Manager) on 01462 450219 or email TheAngels@mcmullens.co.uk at your earliest convenience to discuss your visit. The team strive to improve service and maintain high standards, so feedback like yours is required to do so. We look forward to hearing from you very soon and hope to put it right and reassure you that The Angels is still the place to be. Kind regards John Pope.