“Amazing Authentic Food & great bar!”
Review of Bar Amigo

Bar Amigo
Ranked #96 of 187 Restaurants in Hitchin
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a Mexican and Latino restaurant based in the heart of Hitchin town square. Serving traditional Mexican dishes along with a variety of ethnic South American dishes. We also have a quaint cocktail bar where you can enjoy fresh speciality cocktails.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Dined at bar amigo with 2 friends at the weekend and we had such a lovely meal. The service was great and the food was fantastic. You could tell everything was is made from fresh, lovely pieces of chicken in our fajitas & the home made Halloumi fries are to die for! Delicious chocolate filled churros. After, we ventured upstairs to the Gin & Tequila bar, what a lovely little bar. You can tell the effort that has been put in to make it different from every other bar in the town. As the night was still young I had a gin tasting menu, you get 4 different premium gins complete with garnish (which were lovely!) and 4 tonics. I was surprised at how different all the gins are and a bargain price for 4 gin and tonics for a weekend night! Great night, great food, great drinks! Definitely be back

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I'm not going to write a long review here as I think what I have to say will tell you what you need to know...this place is not anywhere close to uthentic Mexican food. I had chilen Fajitas which were bland,tasteless and of poor quality. Shame you call your restaurant Mexican, more like cooked from cheap cuts and value bottled salads from a famous high street shop!

How do these places keep running,?? Would not recommend and will not go back even if it was complimentary!! Don't waste your hard earned cash

5  Thank coralHerfordshire
Johnnyandem, Owner at Bar Amigo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2018

NO COMPLAINT ON THE NIGHT

Before I reply if I had the experience you have described I would have said something to the manager on the night. The fact you didn't leaves me confused and suspicious!!!
Our Fajitas are cooked fresh with our own recipe and not from your famous high street shop. R & E Butchers supply us with fresh chicken breast and have done for years. They would be more than happy to take up your complaint.
We also have a mexican family which travels from Dunstable at last once a month as in their very VALUED opinion they say our food is as close to authentic as they've had since being in the UK.
We take criticism very seriously but when we are accused of using "cheap" cuts and high street shops your opinion is then ignored.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Been here a couple of times now. The choice of food is great a d I've tried several dishes now and I can only say wow. Everything on the menu is presented well and tastes even better. The cocktails are well made and they have a good variety and the staff and helpful and very friendly. It really is a little gem in the town centre if Hitchin which could be easily missed by it's slightly understated entrance.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

We came to try Bar Amigo looking for good Mexican food. My partner is Texan and I have lived there and developed a taste for the fine variety of flavours in the many Mexican restaurants. We were greeted and seated quickly by pleasant wait staff, and ordered a drink each while we scanned the menus. We ordered a variety of starters, which were served reasonably quickly - nachos, chilli poppers and calamari - food was nicely presented, nachos were ok, chilli poppers were bland, and the calamari tasted ok but was cut into very small pieces. When the mains were delivered the size of helpings was significant - the first thing I noticed was that the chips were served in a separate container on the plate and though hot and crisp had virtually no flavour at all, which was a surprise, the ribs were good and quite tender. My partners selection, the fajitas with steak and halumi/mushrooms was deemed a poor representation of a Mexican meal, with chewy steak strips. Quite full, we declined deserts and asked for the bill.
We left feeling our first visit was something of a disappointment and will wait a while before considering returning.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

I have visited a number of times with colleagues from work. The service is excellent and the food is fantastic, plenty of choice and big portions.

1  Thank Stephen G