“Amazing Authentic Food & great bar!”
Review of Bar Amigo

Bar Amigo
Ranked #105 of 183 Restaurants in Hitchin
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are a Mexican and Latino restaurant based in the heart of Hitchin town square. Serving traditional Mexican dishes along with a variety of ethnic South American dishes. We also have a quaint cocktail bar where you can enjoy fresh speciality cocktails.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Dined at bar amigo with 2 friends at the weekend and we had such a lovely meal. The service was great and the food was fantastic. You could tell everything was is made from fresh, lovely pieces of chicken in our fajitas & the home made Halloumi fries are to die for! Delicious chocolate filled churros. After, we ventured upstairs to the Gin & Tequila bar, what a lovely little bar. You can tell the effort that has been put in to make it different from every other bar in the town. As the night was still young I had a gin tasting menu, you get 4 different premium gins complete with garnish (which were lovely!) and 4 tonics. I was surprised at how different all the gins are and a bargain price for 4 gin and tonics for a weekend night! Great night, great food, great drinks! Definitely be back

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I'm not going to write a long review here as I think what I have to say will tell you what you need to know...this place is not anywhere close to uthentic Mexican food. I had chilen Fajitas which were bland,tasteless and of poor quality. Shame you call your restaurant Mexican, more like cooked from cheap cuts and value bottled salads from a famous high street shop!

How do these places keep running,?? Would not recommend and will not go back even if it was complimentary!! Don't waste your hard earned cash

1  Thank coralHerfordshire
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Been here a couple of times now. The choice of food is great a d I've tried several dishes now and I can only say wow. Everything on the menu is presented well and tastes even better. The cocktails are well made and they have a good variety and the staff and helpful and very friendly. It really is a little gem in the town centre if Hitchin which could be easily missed by it's slightly understated entrance.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

We came to try Bar Amigo looking for good Mexican food. My partner is Texan and I have lived there and developed a taste for the fine variety of flavours in the many Mexican restaurants. We were greeted and seated quickly by pleasant wait staff, and ordered a drink each while we scanned the menus. We ordered a variety of starters, which were served reasonably quickly - nachos, chilli poppers and calamari - food was nicely presented, nachos were ok, chilli poppers were bland, and the calamari tasted ok but was cut into very small pieces. When the mains were delivered the size of helpings was significant - the first thing I noticed was that the chips were served in a separate container on the plate and though hot and crisp had virtually no flavour at all, which was a surprise, the ribs were good and quite tender. My partners selection, the fajitas with steak and halumi/mushrooms was deemed a poor representation of a Mexican meal, with chewy steak strips. Quite full, we declined deserts and asked for the bill.
We left feeling our first visit was something of a disappointment and will wait a while before considering returning.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

I have visited a number of times with colleagues from work. The service is excellent and the food is fantastic, plenty of choice and big portions.