“Great Value, Excellent Accommodation, Lovely...”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Gwarcae

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Beautiful reservoirs nearby
Stunning surroundings
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Vitalijs...
London, United Kingdom
“Great Value, Excellent Accommodation, Lovely Location”
Reviewed 30 July 2018 for a stay in July 2018

Had great stay with friends. This place have everything you could possibly need for peaceful and relaxing holiday. Keen to come back here in winter.

Your age range 25-34
Reviewed 30 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017
person found this review helpful

Terri T
“Beautiful Cottage in an idylic location”
Reviewed 20 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

What a wonderful time we had and the weather was very nice to us! The cottage is beautiful, warm and welcoming. It was wonderful waking up to see sheep outside the windows and beautiful mountain views. I would highly recommend a visit to the Lamb pub nearby great prices and they have Doom Bar on draught! We would definitely recommend it and hope to return sometime soon.

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Having to leave!
Travelling group: Young Children
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016

Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 35-49
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
s.l. H
Clevedon, United Kingdom
“So why no Wi-fi at Gwarcae”
Reviewed 9 July 2016 for a stay in June 2016
person found this review helpful

Phone signal was great as we could see the mast from the sitting room window but no wi fi enabled so we had to trek into Rhayader and either use the wi fi in The Crown and buy food / drinks or lurk in the public car park trying to log onto the Powys County Council guest site, not ideal in a Fiat Panda. On arrival, I had trouble parking due to the steepness of the ground outside the cottage my car slid back a bit until I got it next to the wall but of course the passenger then had trouble getting out - not for those with weak wrists. Cottage looked picture perfect but after we got inside everything went downhill for a couple of days. There was a Rayburn but as neither of us owns one or had ever used one that didn't get sorted out. Also the thought of having to keep refilling it with coke from the outside shed didn't feel us with glee so no heating there. There was also a wood burning stove and an open fire but I don't go on holiday to start shifting wood and clearing grates etc., so we were left with the electric heaters. They did mitigate the damp feeling by the end of the week but were fighting a losing battle. Stairs were very steep so we got a lot of exercise up and down to the only bathroom. There were 2 double beds and a double bunk bed so if there had been more people staying they would need a rota for the bathroom. The water came out blue as it comes straight from the spring on the hill and there was a steel bath that was very cold to the feet whilst you were waiting for the power shower to warm up. We also had trouble trying to get the TV to work [an instruction manual would have helped, as every TV is different] and tried to contact the property's manager as requested on the contact sheet. Unfortunately she was not available at all, despite leaving text messages and voice mail. In the end I e-mailed the owner and she was very quick to ring me up and tell me how to turn the TV on - why it hadn't been left ready to use I do not know. The view from the property was very good and you could see the clouds - and the red kite - chasing across the sky. Upstairs one bedroom had a Juliet balcony and I reckon that it would be the only fire exit upstairs, that's if you could drop off the balcony to the ground floor - as all the other windows were screwed shut. Of course being an old property they were mostly single glazed and did admit a fair few draughts.
The ground floor appeared to have been designed by a committee with one end of the sitting room featuring twee figures and candles and the other modern wrought iron. There were endless ornaments throughout the property most of which were superfluous in a building of this age and style. Access to the property was down a single track lane with passing places but we hardly met anyone coming or going and the only traffic was a builder's van most mornings dashing past at the speed of light.

It wasn't far to Rhayader by car but would be too far to walk to the nearest pub - The Triangle. It was very wet the week we were there but we would otherwise have tried the Wye Valley Walk.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
23 Jul 2016
I am sorry the cottage did not live up to your expectation.
Unfortunately Rachel the housekeeper was away that weekend ,in future we will make sure that my telephone number is left to deal with any problems. Luckily you were able to contact me and I was able to rectify the problem.
Obviously I am concerned about the issues you raise and will certainly take some of your points on board- maybe by removing some ornaments for example.
However, I feel I must point out that this is a rural Welsh cottage with an authentic feel and that includes spring water from the hillside( very soft) a solid fuel Rayburn ,log fires and an old fashioned bath which adds to its charm and simplicity.
As for Wi-Fi access, I did advise before your visit that the Strand café in Rhayader has free Wi-Fi and the coffee is excellent.
Most people embrace the thought of getting away from intrusive e-mails ,and social networking sites along with the endless traffic jams, I think Gwarcae with its stunning views provides a quiet haven.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing