See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 April 2015

During our month at Star Bay this year they had numerous events next door that kept us awake until the early hours. Mostly weddings with good music but they did go on late. This year they had day trippers who come for the day and take up most of the chairs around the pool. The bridge over the pool is now coming apart due to lack of maintenance. Patio doors don't roll and are torn. The front desk staff rented out the room next to us even though we reminded them our friends had booked it for a week to be next to us. They eventually moved the person to another room about an hour before our friends arrived and after we told them about the double booking twice. This used to be a friendly hotel with regulars for the month. Great beach location but quite a walk into Bucerias.

Date of stay: February 2015
Reviewed 24 March 2015

We did not stay at the hotel itself,. so can't comment. But we were looking for a beach day pass where we could use a pool, bathrooms, loungers and umbrellas and this place fir the bill nicely. We found our passes through the Cupocity daily deals website, but I am sure they offer it directly. Call to check.

That end of the bay is generally very quiet and the waves gentle as others have noted. In that sense it is a very quiet and relaxing day if that is what you want. The staff responded when asked but didn't offer anything or press us - again, what we prefer.

Our pass included a sandwich and beer lunch at the restaurant. The lunch was 'competent' ... it won't win any awards but it was just fine if you are not fussy about presentation and like to eat something like you would at home. We are quite happy to do that so had no issues with it. It would not be our choice for a romantic couples evening.

We wanted quiet beach, gentle waves, few if any beach vendors, and access to a few amenities. The StarBay Resort delivered exactly what we wanted at a very decent price. We did not find any other day passes except at the Royal DeCameron for way too much more. Only downside is there is no hot tub here, just the pool - nice as it is.

Date of stay: March 2015
Reviewed 22 December 2014

I am amazed at how poorly written some of these reviews are and how little information they provide for travelers. I just returned home from Starbay yesterday and there is one very important detail missing from all of these reviews: this hotel is directly next door to an event venue. During our 6 nights there were 3 evening events, one that went until 1am with massively thumping music. After we realized this was going to be a recurring situation and that our kids could sleep through it, we just shrugged it off as part of the experience. But if you seek peace and quiet at night this is not the place for you. Ironically, during the day it was one of the quietist and most tranquil places I have ever been.

There are some things to like about this place, the beach and pool are only a few steps from one another and the beach was great for swimming with either no waves or very small ones. The water is not clear enough to snorkel but it is warm. That part of the beach is quiet and we had most of the beach to ourselves, even over the weekend.

The facility is not updated and not everything functions properly, such as fans, AC units, doors, but for the price some of that should be expected. The restaurant is just ok, not great so I wouldn't want to spend too many meals there, breakfast seemed to be the best. The staff was friendly, not overly ambitious but if we needed something we usually got it. To our family having a kitchen is essential because we like to make breakfast and the occasional lunch and dinner and have cold cervrzas on hand. These kitchens were efficient and functional but nothing more. We discovered the product BacDyn for disinfecting vegetables and fruits and nobody was sick, there were enough bowls and utensils provided to make all of this relatively easy.

My family liked the location off the beaten path, it felt more like Mexico than other places we've stayed, and it was an easy drive to Sayulita, Punta de Mita and even into PV. We rented a car and it made the trip infinitely easier. I wasn't at all concerned about walking through the town of Bucerias at night, if you have traveled at all in Mexico you will find it a familiar experience. If you have only spent time in resorts it might seem uncomfortable at first but my family enjoyed mingling with the locals who were busy shopping and eating in town.

I hope that my review is helpful to some as other reviews were helpful to us before we went, but if you plan to travel here soon and found my information to be helpful and want more specific info please feel free to email me at duuderino at gmail dot com. I know I would have appreciated asking some specific questions before booking our trip. Safe travels.

Room tip: The rooms overlooking the pool could be loud at night because there is an echo between buildings and the pool doesn't close until 11 but at the same time these are the rooms with the ocean views.
Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
13  Thank Erin M
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I never have stay in a most horrible deteriorate and with a horrible service....
The rooms where dirty, with the unlimited strains in the linen. .
The aircondition was not even working. ..
We stay there for two nights and housekeeping didnt even bother to clean properly our room..
I couldn't even take a shower without using my sandals because of the unsanitary showers or the restroom... humility was not an issue was a concerned for the guest that are allergic or have health issues.
Second of all I work for hotels I been working for front desk to housekeeping departments and travel a lot and these service doesn't compare with other hotel..
To the owners I highly recommend to keep on eye in the staff because they are the ones that run the hotel. Keep it up..!

Date of stay: July 2014
7  Thank Dulce C
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We just returned from a one week stay (Feb. 2-9) at Starbay. We enjoyed our stay and thought the staff was very courteous, friendly, and helpful (especially Eva at the front desk and housekeepers Claudia and Sandra). The room was comfortable and we liked that the bedroom was separate from the living room/kitchen area. We ate at the Starbay restaurant on my birthday and Carlos (chef/owner) made us a delicious meal. I would definitely recommend this resort to others who want a quite, relaxing stay near the beach.

Date of stay: February 2012