See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

We booked last minute as we were staying in Puerto Vallarta and wanted to do an overnight trip to Bucerias. This was the only place available that wasn't $200+ per night. (We paid about $50 Cdn.) The room was clean but very noisy as the hotel is right on the main drag and our room was close to the road. If you're looking for an inexpensive overnight stay and aren't a light sleeper, this might be the place for you. For me, not so much. It's currently 5:45 am. I'm wide awake and counting the minutes until the breakfast place I'm going to opens so I can leave.

Pros: Free, fast wifi. Close(ish) to the beach and walking distance (or a short cab ride) to some great restaurants.

Cons: Traffic noise. A/C unit was old and LOUD. When turned off because of the noise it dripped onto the floor. Drip, drip, drip, DRIP!!!! Ceiling fans: one was loud and wobbly and seemed as though it might fall onto the bed; the other one spun at such a great speed that it felt as though I was standing in front of an airplane engine. Reception didn't seem thrilled so see new guests.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suvariboy
HotelCactusInn, Director de Recepción at Hotel Cactus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your comment.
We will check the situation of that room so next people there don´t have the same problems you had.
We are a non expensive option for workers and people who are visiting the area, we appreciate a lot your comments as it helps us become better.
As a reference in the future if you wish to come stay with us again, you can ask for a room in the back, where you don´t get the noise of the highway.
Hopefully you enjoyed your stay in Bucerias overall!

Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

Not a word of English, nor was there much effort made to communicate, at first. I had to do a bit of (fighting through a language barrier) to get them to honour my booking. It did notice it is posted in office that their rate is 500pesos/night and the US exchange of the day was 16pesos/1USD...quite a paltry rate. There was a problem with credit card but transaction would not go through even after several tries. Finally she fired up a translation program and between hers and my translation app we managed a little better communication. I agreed to give it a shot the next day.

I was given a remote, roomkey and two towels (no hand or face cloth) and was left to get to my room. No other instruction offered. Still I thought she was nice enough. I felt like since there was a problem they purposely put me on the 3rd floor at the back. When I asked in bad Spanish about an elevator she pointed vaguely. It turns out she was pointing in the general direction of the stairs. I was lucky enough to happen across one of the lovely chambermaids who without hesitation helped me with my bags.

At first I got no wifi in room using password supplied at desk. It wasn't until i was summoned to the desk later on that evening around 10pm to try my credit card again that it was explained to me by a young woman in her nightie (excellent English) that there are 3 wifi terminals and two passwords. The man behind the counter didn't even attempt at any English or a smile while I stumbled along in Spanglish. Based on what I discovered when I got into my room I decided to cut my stay in half and that's what I paid.

Ants scurryed around room. I got a lot of bites. The TV had absolutely no English language programming whatsoever, or network tv with the option to read subtitles. I'd say it's low end Mexico cable. The room's lighting provided by the two fans and a light by the door gave off a yellowish cast. The effect was quite dreary and depressing. No luggage rack, no desk, no pen, no paper, no bathmat nor hand towels, 2 plastic hangers.

The bed was nice and firm and fine by me; comfortable by my standards. I'd read a review talking about dirty bedsheets but mine were crisp and clean, with the logo of the hotel on them. Frankly one of the best features of the room. 2 fans in the small room work well and the a/c cooled the small room beautifully and the highway noise wasn't a a factor being so far back from the street.

The coffee offered in the morning outside by the telephone is abysmal, served out of an urn and get there early if you want some, because staff drinks this coffee as well. If you want tea as an option and have your own, there is a water dispenser that serves up scalding hot water. It appears there used to be a restaurant but that's closed.

I get the feeling they've stopped really trying. Except for the women that seem to be constantly mopping the floors and cleaning rooms, everything else makes this an undesirable choice in hotel and only a last gasp if you have nowhere else to go.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank daizeegrrl
Reviewed 20 March 2017

Almost booked here but didn't. Was glad we didn't after we saw the location. It is on the noisy main highway with nothing attractive nearby except possibly a bus stop. We can't say anything bad because we didn't stay here. It might be really nice but the location is not a relaxing one.

Stayed: March 2017
Reviewed 14 March 2017

The original room they gave me was still dirty from the last residents. But she quickly gave me a new room. The front staff was helpful in calling a taxi for me the next day.

This is right on the main highway so it is not quiet. The bed was hard so I was tossing and turning most of the night. But you get what you pay for. It was handy coming in from the PV airport and was easy to get to.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 March 2017

In order to save some money to fund the mission trip we stayed at the Cactus Inn.
It is a popular place for the locals.The location was easy to find,being on the lateral of the main highway. We had the "bungalow" on the top floor with a kitchen which helped us to save costs. The brand new supermarket is only a block away. This is a typical Mexican location. At night besides the noise of the highway and the squeaky brakes you can hear dogs barking,roosters crowing and chickens doing their thing in the early morning.
About the room itself: it was a bit smelly but clean.The beds were comfortable although sometimes we did not get all the sheets on the bed.The towels were worn.There is no sitting area.The kitchen utensils was minimal and the frying pans of the "very sticky" kind.No cleaning cloths or brushes available. The toilet leaked and the floor was often wet. There is no safe but worst of all the door did not lock so we carried our valuables along.We could not switch a room since that is the only unit with a kitchen. As in other reviews, limited English is spoken by the reception staff although Jacqui is pleasant to deal with and her English is good. The pool is colder than the ocean but the showers beside it are good. Air conditioning works but there are no ceiling fans. Wifi is spotty but good in the lobby.

Room Tip: If you have a room close to the highway it will be noisy, if you have a room close to the pool you have animal noise.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family