“What a shame”

Ranked #14 of 49 Restaurants in Tynemouth
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 26
Cuisines: International, British, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff
Tynemouth, United Kingdom
“What a shame”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Having read the previous reviews about the food and staff, we were surprised because we had been before and had a great night finished off with geat drinks (Hendicks and cucumber with rose petals).
It was sunday night (25.03.2012) and it was 8:45pm, the place was quite empty, we were seated straight away but 10 minutes before we had a menu and 20 minutes before our drinks arrived. The service was slow and the poor girl behind the bar took our drinks order and food order as well as serve behind the bar.
There was no nice bread or butter to nibble on (unlike italian restaurant 6 doors down), you have to pay extra for that! To be fair our starters of vitnamese beef and lamb meatballs were really nice and set up us for our mains. My partners belly pork was different from the previous time as the source this time was gravy not a white source which was lovely, a large dollup of sour crout (inedible due to vinegar taste) and rock hard potato somthing (it looked like rock cake which was a shame).
I had game pie which came with a vegetables and gravy, the gravy was lovely and we were given extra which I thought was really nice, I would find out why later. Thats were our experience went down hill, the pie was served upside down as it looked burnt on the top, the pie it self was dry and rock hard, the filling of game was very very dry (hence the extra gravy to make it moist). My partners belly pork hadnt been rendered down properly and it had thick layers of squidgy fat which wasnt nice, horrible cabbage and rock hard potatoes which was a shame!
The service was unatentive, our serviettes were taken away when we stepped out for a cigarette my partner had no cutlery and waited for a waiter to come and replace the cutlery but no one bothered. He stole cutlery of another table because he waited so long.
We normally stay and have a nice drink at the bar but it was full of waiting on staffs friends who just sat there waiting for friends to finish, waiting on staff at the bar were dressed badly, jeans so low we could see their white boxer shorts with a blue trim (not vert tastefull even for a cafe bar) when they sat at the bar, come on at least wear jeans that fit you properly and dont look like you just got of the bus from college?
We left giving no tip and feeling that a quiet night out for food was a let down by poor service, poor food and a lack of attention which as not the case when we visited on a saturday night, I would give no rating but it doesnt let me do that so just a 1 for great starters, oh and the girl behind the bar was nice, shame she doesnt wait on tables or make the food? Finally like I havent ranted enough, the mural in the main room is quite unsettling especially when we have a lava lamp projecting light against it.

1 Thank mark w
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

tynemouth
“No, never again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Thought we would try barca out last week and had high hopes, on arriving these high hopes were still intact, service was good but once the food arrived it went downhill, didnt enjoy any of it, big dissapointment :(

2 Thank Geordie-Knowledge
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Need to concentrate on the food not the so much the decor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We went as a group and first impressions were good, decor / table layout / menus / initial service were all good, however there was a very long wait for the starters about an hour or so and most were cold starters (the restuarant was very quiet) and then another hour for the main, I got mussles for my main they hadnt been cleaned and still had the beards on errr, the other half got some very over cooked fish which looked as though it had been standing for a while. The menu looked to impress but very much failed to deliver.

American expat in Newcastle
“A bit underwhelmed--vegetarians, be sure to check the menu.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

My partner and I went here for Sunday lunch today. I had high hopes, as I used to really like The Arch, but The Firepit was not really my style. The Sunday lunch menu wasn't posted outside--only the regular menu, which was not on offer on Sunday. As a vegetarian, the Sunday lunch menu was pretty underwhelming to me--there were about 6 meat dishes, all with carefully described accompaniments, and for the vegetarian dish there was only veggie moussaka, with no indication of how it was prepared or what it included (yes, I've had moussaka before, but it's a dish that allows for a certain amount of leeway). It felt as though they included the dish as an afterthought. I didn't really feel like eating that, so I ordered a main sized portion of the beetroot and feta salad. It was okay, but basically just some slices of beets with some feta crumbled on top. No way was it enough for lunch, and looked particularly pitiful next to my partner's stack of potatoes, veg, gravy, lamb and yorkshire pudding (keeping in mind that both dishes were £8). I ordered some bread so that I wouldn't leave hungry--that was very nice, particularly the foccacia.

My partner reported that his lamb dinner, while seemingly plentiful, was a bit bland. It also included gravy, which was not described and which he dislikes intensely.

The dining room was quite noisy. The service was friendly, if not all that well coordinated--for instance, our drinks came out after our mains.

Unless we hear of significant changes, I can't imagine we'll be returning. There are much nicer places to get a Sunday lunch in the area.

Visited March 2012
“Super cool,relaxing with fantastic staff and food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Please do not change this restaurant again as it's finally spot on as the new barca art cafe.The food is awesome and the staff were great.nice art too very funky place with a great vibe. Will be back for sure and it could soon be one of the top restaurants in Tynemouth if it stays how it is.well done.ps the belly of pork I had was sooooooo nice.15/3/12