See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 October 2015

I love it!
I had a very amazing time at SUL surf, eat & sleep. You go to bed - you see the beach, you wake up in the morning - you see the beach. The breakfast was quite good, there was some cheese, ham, milk with cornflakes, marmalade, juice, tea, coffee, bread, sweet bread, chocolate etc.
The surf-hostel is lovingly furnished and by entering you suddenly get the summer/holiday-feeling!!:)
Depending on the waves we went to our beach (one minute to go) or the camp leader carried us to another surf-spot not that far away :) At the first day you get your own wetsuit and you use it until the last day (: every day the surf-teacher decides due to your surf-skills which board you will use :)
It was my first time surfing and I will definitely come back and to it again. I was travelling alone and I was surprised that there was a colorful mix of people. Some people were also travelling alone, but there were also some couples and small groups. But we spent the evenings all together by cooking, eating, laughing, playing, drinking at the hostel or at the beach :)
So if you are searching for a uncomplicated and incredible Surf-Trip alone, but also as a couple or with friends, the SUL-Hostel is in my opinion a perfect choice:)

Stayed: October 2015
2  Thank Kathy S
Reviewed 20 October 2015

Good point: right near the beach in a very pretty area

Bad points: it is advertised to attract surfers, but in reality barely has any usable equipment! There are also no options to rent anything nearby unless you have a car. The owner is also terribly rude and seemingly never there. The beds are sandy and the entire place smells of damp. I've stayed in countless hostels surfing all around the world, so have a high tolerance for these things, but this is genuinely one of the worst I've been to. Much better deals to be had in Costa de Caparica, in places better geared up for a surf trip.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs seemed marginally better as they have their own terrace
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank John G
Reviewed 22 September 2015

The hostel is really great, in a beach called Fonte da Telha, close to Lisbon. The beach is broad and the sunsets there are beautiful. Decio, the teachers and everybody in the hostel are really cool people. The surf lessons are really good and helpful, perfect for beginners like me. The hostel is really relaxed and there are nice restorants to go to eat fish nearby. I had a great time there and i met a bunch of cool people, so i recommend it for everybody who wants to have a really cool holiday.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2015

Me and my niece stayed here for 4 nights. It was a really nice location, just at the beach, with several restaurants along the beach. Good breakfast, comfy beds. Wifi did not work in the room. We did not surf but as we understood the surfschool was very appreciated.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2015

You can definitely say that the family spends a lot of efforts to make your stay very warm. He is doing his best to help you out. From the personal touch it deserves five stars. There are just a few issues: No internet in the room, the bath could be renovated (especially the shower area), and the rooms are very noisy, you can hear everyone talking and in the morning people are quite noisy while leaving the rooms with the doors. Definitely a nice stay for one time but due to the noise I wouldn’t come again.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
Sulsurfhostel, Proprietário at SUL surf, eat & sleep, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2015

Hello,
thanks for the evaluation, we will try to do all efforts to make some changes for the noise reduction on the rooms. about the internet access on the rooms we will put a stronger wifi solution to have access in all facilities.

Hope you won't regret your stay with us to never come back.