All reviews al chile deluxe room daily housekeeping adjoining restaurant breakfast was included harmony hotel small fridge excellent surf five minute walk great place to stay pura vida surfing lessons low key the location is perfect rooms are clean open air la luna
Reviewed 22 March 2017

The folks here were wonderfully accommodating. Customer service was excellent. Rooms always cleaned well.
In previous trips to Nosara I would typically go to Beach Dog or Rosi's for breakfast and was looking forward to those places this time but breakfast was included at the hotel restaurant (Al Chile) and it was so good that we didn't bother going anywhere else for our morning meal.
Pool is not huge but large enough for a bunch of people to get out of the midday sun and find a shady spot poolside or in the water to cool down. Al Chile seems to be open from breakfast thru dinner so we were always able to get a drink or bite to eat and relax by the pool.
Rooms were simple and tidy. AC worked great. There were no surf racks in our two rooms but the ceilings are tall enough to accommodate standing up longboards. Just put a towel on the tile floor so your board doesn't slide and ding. We had a room in the single story building where there is a mango tree (where one howler monkey liked to nap) that overhangs the roof. Sometimes, the wind would blow and a few mangoes would come crashing onto the roof and create a bit of a racket, not to mention when the monkey would howl. The lizards on the roof can be loud, as well. Just some things you should expect when you stay anywhere in Nosara. Bring earplugs. Everywhere I've stayed in Nosara tiny ants, small insects and even little lizards may also share the room with you. It's just part of the experience.
The location is perfect. Walk five minutes or less westward to the beach and surf. Walk five minutes eastward to the middle of town. I've been to Nosara several times and this may very well be my favorite place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank WavesHuevos
Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

I have never had anyone work so hard to make my stay so perfect. My family could not have had a better time. From the start Silvia helped plan everything. Once we got there everything she had planned we changed. We wanted to change which day we did what tour and decided to cancel a couple tours to do some more things on our own. We switched reservations to every restaurant to different days, We went from having an ATV to wanting a rent a car, even on the morning we were leaving we decided we would rather return the car there and get a shuttle to San Jose which we had cancelled two days before. I can't believe we didn't drive her crazy but, instead she enjoyed doing all of it. We loved the maids who always did such a beautiful job cleaning the room. There were times we went down to get our water bottles filled prior to them getting to our room, they stoped everything to do that for us right away. Then there were days we weren't ready for them to clean our room and even though we were the last room to clean we never felt rushed to leave. They were so accommodating and sweet. The maintenance couldn't have been better. Our bathroom door was a little squeaky so we asked if they could put a little oil on it. No sooner then we finished our sentence he was already fixing it, he then proceeded to cut one of the branches of the tree that would hit the window when it got too windy, he even changed one of the light bulbs in the bathroom we didn't even know was out. He always checked to make sure everything was still working, There is nothing we needed that all of them didn't go above and beyond to do. The location of the Sunset Shack could not have been more convenient. It's just a short walk through the Main Street to get to the beach and a short walk in to get to some of the nice shops. The hotel is low key and everyone there is super friendly. The rooms are simple, clean and perfect for what we wanted. The pool also was clean and refreshing after a hot day of walking around. The Sunset Shack and the whole staff absolutely made our trip. We didn't want to leave and can't wait to go back.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2017

I stayed with my wife and 14 year old son at the Sunset Shack Hotel on March 10-16, 2017. My wife arranged surfing lessons at Nosara Tico Surf School, so we were looking for a reasonably priced hotel nearby (excellent surf school BTW - see review from Karen B).

The Sunset Shack was the perfect place for us to stay while in Nosara! Silvia was awesome! I had been in touch with her via email since January 2017 regarding our stay. She happily coordinated all we needed/requested for our stay: Airport Shuttle to/from Sunset Shack, sunset dinner reservations at La Luna and Lagarta Lodge, Jungle Cart from Monkey Quads, and activities (zip line, horseback ride, etc). She even emailed me a short video she took of the property so I could see how nice it was. (That was really sweet).

We arrived late Friday night on 3/10 and were warmly greeted by Carlos and Diego at the adjoining Al Chile restaurant, who gave us the key to our room. When I finally got to meet Silvia in person on Saturday 3/11 we gave each other a big hello hug. I was so happy to finally meet her after 2 months of email exchanges. It was her outstanding customer service that convinced me I chose the right place to stay, and I was right. (Miss you Silvia).

I had rented a Jungle Cart for the week and returned it after 2 days for a rental car. Silvia and Mike helped arrange a car from Toyota Rental Car. (FYI, Allianz Car Rental Insurance for $9 a day is a great deal). The Rental Car was a much better option to handle the bumpy dirt roads for the planned outings to San Juanillo for snorkeling and Largarta Lodge for dinner. So glad we switched to a rental car for those outings!

We had the complimentary breakfast choices every morning at Al Chile and really liked them. My son and I played ping pong and foosball after breakfast. For lunch we went down the street across from Café de Paris to Rosi's Soda Tica for authentic Costa Rican casados, that Mike recommended. Delicious!

We stayed in Deluxe Room 3 upstairs and which is very roomy for 3 people. The king bed was very comfortable and the a/c kept the room nice and cool. The second floor Deluxe Rooms (3 & 4) have beautiful wooden vaulted ceilings. It was worth the little bit of extra money for us to stay in the Deluxe Room and we were glad we did.

I had read on Trip Advisor about the palm fronds hitting the roof at night in Deluxe Room 3 when the wind blew, and noticed that was the case the first night. I tucked the frond into the second floor balcony railing, and the maintenance man 'Arnold' promptly cut it for me the next day. Problem solved! Arnold is such a sweet, and gentle soul. I would wake up early to read a book on the hammock downstairs and be greeted by Arnold with a warm smile and a Buenos Diaz. His English was on par with my Spanish and we would practice words and phrases together. We became friends. The maid was also very nice and allowed us to postpone the daily housekeeping to suit our needs.

For the money, I would say that the Sunset Shack is an ideal place to stay. We preferred the low key ambiance and quaint vibe of the Hotel (only 8 rooms). It is ideally located, and there are many other dining options close by. For example, the Harmony Hotel is right across the street and we walked there for lunch and dinner (which we enjoyed). The beach is a five minute walk to the end of the block. Playa Guinoes is simply beautiful.

We did not want to leave Nosara. Saying goodbye to Silvia, Mike, Arnold and the rest of the staff was hard, but we know we will be back.

We love Nosara! Pura Vida!!

Dan, Karen and Dylan

Room Tip: Deluxe Rooms 3 and 4 upstairs are the largest and have beautiful wooden vaulted ceilings.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Dan B
Reviewed 14 March 2017

We stayed in a private room at the sunset shack hotel recently and the room had everything we needed. Staff was amazing and friendly, especially Sylvia. She made sure we had everything we needed and she set up all of our excursions and told us where to be and what time. I spoke with her before weeks before our trip and she made the whole process easy and stress free. The hotel is very clean and within short walking distance to restaurants, yoga, the beach and whatever other excursion you'd like. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!!

Room Tip: Private room and top floor of deluxe rooms will hear things bouncing off of the roof at night from the trees.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2017

small room near the beach and the spanish institute.great location.quiet ,clean,and walking distance to all you need.the pool was 15ft away and the restaurant 50 ft.the staff is outstanding.playa guiones is a wonderful beach 4 miles long with great surf.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple