“Wow what an incredible experience with an aesome vibe and wonderful staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Costa Rica Yoga Spa

and 1 more site!
Costa Rica Yoga Spa
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Nosara
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wow what an incredible experience with an aesome vibe and wonderful staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

When arriving in nosara we had no idea we would be staying at such an incredible place. The yoga spa was just what I needed! The yoga was everything I could hope for. The staff was always helpful and very kind! The owner Darin always with a smile and very accomidating! He is also a surf intructor so I would put that on your agenda when visiting :-) The food was amazing!!! Everything we ate made me smile and want more!! Even the vegetarian menu is excellent and I'm a big meat and fish lover. The rooms are very clean with lovely showers. The fans keep it very nice but they also have air conditioning if you want. This was definitely my favorite retreat/vacation I have been on in a long time! Thank you costa rica yoga spa!

• Stayed March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Morro Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Darin and his staff made us feel like family, The food is as good or better then we found anywhere in Costa Rica. Ceviche, empendas, a traditional Costa Rican dish which was like a coconut chicken curry which was to die for. The accommodations are clean, quiet and so comfortable and felt safer than I have felt on any vacation. We there for an excellent live music performance in the multipurpose yoga space, which has a view nothing short of spectacular. I took a morning yoga class with Rebecca that had me drenched in sweat, exhausted and completely inspired. There is nothing better than waking to the sounds of the howler monkeys in the trees below. And best of all I got great surf, at Playa Guiones I know where we are going on our next vacation. A huge thank you to everyone at the Costa Rica Yoga Spa!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

I don’t even know where to start!? I could not have had a more perfect vacation and I owe it all to the wonderful people at this very special place. It was truly an enriching experience. I arrived on the brink of a breakdown and left feeling happy, energized and inspired.

I will mention that I have traveled many countries and have stayed at everything from 5 star luxury resorts to $5/night cockroach crawling up your leg bungalows. This is by far my favorite of any place I have ever stayed. I’m not sure if my own family has ever made me feel so much like family??

A few points:

1. The food is out of control good. I was a bit worried as I heard food in Costa Rica could be bland and being a yoga spa, I assumed that much of the food served would be vegetarian and I’m more of a meat and potatoes kind of girl. Their cooks are creative, experienced and make the most amazing tasting dishes out of ingredients you would never expect. Yucca burgers?!? I’m not sure how they did it, but I’m actually considering vegetarianism. That being said, I’m not sure I could ever give up Nieves’ Jalapeño chicken :)

2. The resort is beautiful and has a natural, casual and charming atmosphere that makes it easy to feel right at home. The rooms are spotless, the views are unbelievable, the grounds are immaculate and you feel safe enough to leave the keys in your car, wallet on your bed and head to the beach for the day.

3. The yoga is outstanding. I was fortunate enough to experience yoga with a few different teachers. After a long break from my yoga practice, I left each session feeling energized and falling more and more in love with yoga. I am so very grateful that I had the opportunity to practice with these very special teachers.

4. The people are unbelievable. They are an attribute that sets the Spa apart from any other place I have been. They are cool, fun, friendly and of course, incredibly helpful. If I could force my adoption on Ben and Jill, I would. Darin was like the cool older brother I never had and took care of me like he had known me for years. I even fell in love with their dogs! I tried as hard as I could to convince them to let me take Chica home, but no luck. The quality of the people at the Spa is made evident by all of the people they attract. Everyone I met there including the Yoga instructors, employees, other guests and friends dropping by were all very cool, friendly and inspiring people I hope I get the opportunity to meet again.

My original intention was to tour around Costa Rica over the course of 2 weeks. I arrived in the country with no plans and had only booked 3 days at the Spa. I was hesitant to leave, but decided I should stick to the original plan. My new surrogate family helped me plan an amazing trip around the country including a rental car, snacks for the road and a map with highlighted directions! Despite the amazing spots I was touring, 3 days after leaving the Spa I contacted Jill and asked if I could “come home” and am extremely glad I did. I’m not sure how you get home sick for a resort, but I did. To my delight they welcomed me back with open arms and what followed was the best vacation I have ever had.

I wanted to experience as little stress as possible on the trip, which for me meant not having to worry about planning, researching and organizing my time there. They helped me plan each and every day and they did an unbelievable job. I still get misty eyed when I think about my days activities written on the white board.

There are a lot of beautiful places in the world, but I’ve never been to one with such amazing people. I CANNOT WAIT to come back. It is truly a special spot. I wish I could do it justice with words, but I can’t. This is a place you need to experience first-hand.

I don't want to talk it up too much (too late?), or they may not have room for me when (not if) I come back!

Hope to see everyone again soon!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

My wife and I went to the Yoga Spa looking for a vacation that was more than a drink against a nice backdrop. We wanted something different from the ‘all inclusive’ scene of buffets and line-ups to get watered down drinks, so we sought out the boutique hotel experience off the beaten track. Since we both did yoga at home moderately and are vegetarian, we thought this could be a fit. I also tried my hand at surfing on earlier trips to Costa Rica, where we went to Playa Langosta and Tamarindo, so was excited to learn Nosara had really good surfing and quieter beaches. I want to add we both qualify as being middle aged (of which we are in denial), so we weren’t sure if we extended our comfort zones on this choice.
What ended up happening was, the trip became a true-life experience. We ended up leaving the place, hugging and kissing everybody: hosts, staff and guests, nobody was excluded. In every way, this place personifies the ‘Pura Vida’ vibe.
For the week we were there you become one with the ‘tribe’, which included two native cooks and one transplant that cooked amazing vegetarian dishes, each in their own style. To paraphrase one of the other reviews, it’s like inheriting a family. The amazing yoga instructors Rebecca and Heidi not only taught us how to do the various poses, but the flow and the spiritual nature of the practice. This was definitely a step up from the western aerobicized version often practiced in North America. I remember telling Rebecca I would never do a that pose in a million years and she responded that I will be doing it in the next 5 minutes and she had me doing something I cannot begin to describe.
It didn’t hurt that the yoga pavilion is perched high in the hills overlooking a lush jungle valley. The sounds of howler monkeys, birds and roosters accent the vista. The air is like oxygen. I cannot remember the last time my mind was so relaxed and clear. It was like having a mind and body cleanse simultaneously. .
The excellent food is served at a communal outdoor table with the other like-minded guests. Our ages ranged from the 20’s to 50’s, but we shared a good vibe, ended up hanging out on the beach together at times, and shared drinks at La Luna on beautiful Playa Pelada watching the sunset. This only served to add better energy to the yoga the next day.
As for the rooms they are fantastic with a nice balcony and rocking chairs overlooking the panoramic view. After the first night we stopped using the AC and opened the shutters, and woke up to the howlers and birds. A couple of days there was only a couple of rooms occupied, so it was like having a private villa all to your self.
Ben and Jill, transplanted Californians, are fantastic hosts. They taxied us all around, carting us to and from the beautiful beaches of Nosara and Playa Guiones (15 - 20 minutes away) on our daily excursions.
The beaches were straight from a postcard, pure sand and great surf. I ran barefoot for miles - it was that smooth. Some days I swear there only 10 people on each mile of beach. As for the town of Nosara, it has a very laid back vibe. Robin’s ice cream place is amazing.
I went there expecting to do a little yoga to compliment my running and surfing, and came back a yoga enthusiast. It was a vacation you hoped would never end. My wife and I have been to Costa Rica three times, but we would definitely return to the Yoga Spa to for relaxation and soul maintenance.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael_Old_Skool
Charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

The Costa Rica Yoga Spa is not a hotel or even a B&B, it is an adopted family in paradise. Seriously, the owners of the CRYS are the ones that make it, they take you in feed you, care for you, drive you to the best beaches, and offer amazing yoga and surf lessons. They helped me get through my yoga certification. They even took us to see baby turtles born for free!

As for the facilities, the kitchen is open and like my mom's and the food is just as good and healthy! The rooms are quads, doubles and singles. The quads are basic but comfy and the singles are really huge and beautiful. Stunning views are available outside of every room. For the quads, bring supplies for a shower down the hall as it is not attached. They do provide natural shampoo/conditioner and body wash. If you do forget anything, they will hook you up! The pool is delicious and has amazing views of the sunset over the pacific ocean. The yoga pavilion has the same. They provide mats, blocks, straps, and blankets.

I would love to go back with my husband!

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the kitchen wake up earlier, but you won't care because the coffee is so good. Q...