“Great first surfing trip to with Safari Surf....”
Review of Safari Surf School

Safari Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: Safari Surf School is the premier surf school and surf camp in Costa Rica. In addition to instilling a passion for surfing, you'll also be immersed in native culture and treated to local style. Being taught to surf by true professionals with a "Pura Vida" attitude is the only way to go! Listed on National Geographic's top outfitters on Earth. Check us out.
Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
“Great first surfing trip to with Safari Surf....”
Reviewed 6 March 2017

Had a great time learning to surf with Safari Surf, the instructors were fun and helpful and had me up on a board pretty quickly. They want you to have fun, so on a day when I needed to end a little early, they were completely on board. Activities outside surfing were excellent as well, really liked where they sent us for yoga and massage. They also took us out for lovely group dinners, and pick-up and return to the airport were excellent. I hope to be back!

Visited February 2017
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Lexington, Massachusetts
“Adult get away”
Reviewed 28 February 2017

We have visited Safari Surf School multiple times and have had a blast each time. This is a great vacation for adults and kids of all ages. The surf instructors and staff are great and really work with the guests. A great vacation if your group likes to be active.

Seattle
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Can't say enough good things”
Reviewed 28 February 2017

Wow, just finished 4 days of surf lessons for our tribe of 8 (4 adults and 4 kids). Most of us were total beginners and instructors Marlon and Kevin couldn't have done a better job. So patient, nice and fun. Playa Guiones is a fantastic place to learn surfing.We did a 90 minute lesson once a day and that was plenty because it's hard work! We rented an amazing house (Casa Hermandad from VRBO) right down the road and also rented a golf cart. Nosara is an amazing blend of luxurious homes and untouched jungle. Right in our next to our yard we saw monkeys, armadillo, iguana, costa rican racoons. Enjoyed amazing sunsets on the beach. We will definitely be back. Thanks, Marlon and Kevin for being the icing on our already amazing cake of visiting Nosara. See you next year!!

Chicago's North Shore, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Was really looking forward to a lesson...”
Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

My circumstances were a little unusual... Had a private lesson set up in the afternoon at 2:30pm. Safari moved it up to 2:00pm which wasn't a problem. Hence, my pick up was at 1:30. They arrived a little early at 1:15, I made it to the front at 1:25 but they left without me.... I know this for certain because I looked at the front desk computer time to confirm I wasn't late. No one answered their phones or texts so I jogged over to surf school location only to find no one there. Long story short, Safari finally gets in touch with me and lets me know their location. When I get to the office the woman who's at the desk (who was also apparently the pick up driver) took no responsibility for leaving early - she was actually surprisingly obstinate. I really wanted the lesson and asked how they could accommodate me since Safari is supposed to be one of the best schools in town. Her response was "We'll give you a 1 hr lesson for the 1 1/2 hour rate". The way she said this was rather firm... I couldn't figure out why until I realized she thought I paid in advance (they clearly wouldn't have been giving me a refund if that were the case) - I just wanted the lesson pro rated, which would have been fair - but that was a no go proposition. She wouldn't even contact a manager to see if it was ok. At that point I told her I was leaving - then she realized I hadn't paid yet! Immediately she said "who's going to pay your instructor for showing up", my only response was "not my problem." I gave her one last chance to pro rate but she wouldn't. Bottom line, this is one of the highest rated Nosara surf schools - maybe the instructors are great but the female driver/receptionist might want to learn a little more about how to do business correctly. I ended up going to Tico Surf school instead (you can find my review on TripAdvisor as well) it was excellent and a little less expensive.

Visited January 2017
SafariSurfer, Owner at Safari Surf School, responded to this review, 14 February 2017
Hi "GeoBoz",
First let me say that I appreciate your review and having spoken to our entire office staff about this situation I have a much clearer picture of what transpired. You organized 1 surf lesson through your hotel, the Sunset Shack. You had requested a time of 2:30 pm to the front desk (Silvia). When Silvia called us to schedule the lesson for that day (same day lesson) she was told that the only time available was 2 pm as our instructor who was on rotation at the time had a lesson scheduled for 3:30 pm (we typically need a 24 hour reservation to schedule the right amount of instructors).
We also were told that you were not familiar with how far away we were from your hotel so as a last minute courtesy we offered to come and pick you up. Our driver (our manager) did arrive at 1:15 pm and came into the front desk area but there was nobody there. He then went into the restaurant and asked the staff if they had seen you. Being that the Sunset Shack is a tiny 8 room hotel they had seen you and had told my driver that you had taken off down to the beach. My driver decided to wait there for you until 1:40 pm. You did not return.
I'm not sure how you got in touch with my staff as nobody heard from you, you arrived into our office with your wife upset. Our office assistant Jaz was there to greet you. Jaz did her best to explain to you that we only had 1 instructor available that afternoon. Jaz did not understand what you were asking her to do (lost in translation?) with respect to "pro-rating" the lesson cost. She also said she did not ask for payment from you before you left as your hotel was going to charge you for the lesson and then cover our payment...so again perhaps more lost in translation issues?
The bottom line is that you missed your lesson time and we could not offer you a lesson as we had other lessons schedule that afternoon. I and my staff apologize for any inconvenience you and your wife went through as we do consider our program to be one of the best in town. Its apparent that we as a business need to adhere to our policy of not accepting same day surf lesson reservations as complications like this can arise. Especially when there is a 3rd party trying to organize the lesson.
We would love to offer you a package of (3) private one on one surf lessons from Safari Surf School as a gift for your next visit to Nosara. We'd love to share with you our amazing program.
Many thanks ~
Tim Marsh
Owner / Operator
SSS
Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great first experience with surfing :-)”
Reviewed 2 February 2017

Alejandro was our instructor to the Tamarindo beach, as soon as he heard about our interest in taking our first surfing lesson he made that happened the next day by offering us the best time to do the class. He took the time to explain us everything before we went in the water (from safety to tips to have the most enjoyable first experience). We were able to get up after not even 3 tries!!! and enjoyed so much our class that we wanted to continue surfing after our class by ourselves :-). We highly recommend this surfing school and thanks again to Alejandro for making our first try so memorable!

Julie and Greg